Vfs Bangkok

In my daily business I have found out that the VFS in Bangkok together with the british Embassy has now been shut for 2 days. Does anyone know WHY? It is not as far as I am aware in a "threatened" area but it is costing money for unuseable air tickets and immense stress for those wishing to take their wives/gf on holiday!! Any views/news appreciated

VFS Brit version (Regent House) just reopened, or so it says at their website. Reckon in their view it was risky to be open during the redshirt demos; take it up with them if you want to argue the point.

The VFS website says it is open for 3 hours only today and for walk-in applicants only. Very frustrating if you have applied already and cannot collect your wife's visa (or her passport which of course they keep hold of) and have only limited opportunities to get up to Bangkok. Useless trying to phone for more info - 'they just say we are very busy - goodbye' and hang up! Credit to them that they have at least posted a daily update on their home page and I guess the situation will remain fluid.

I am sympathetic to their predicament though - both embassy and visa centre are only a few hundred meters from Red Bangkokski and safety of their staff has to be a number one priority. I was grateful to both centres for being open (and like mausoleums) a couple of weeks ago.

Applications are going to take longer from now on. Maybe worth going for the post-it-back option (if that is available - don't know)

We can trust the British Embassy to have some work-around available later in the week can't we?

Naive of Kantaralak

The Embassy has certainly not been closed for two days, though the VFS office has been closed on and off for a number days.

I don't think it's unreasonable to close if there are concerns for the safety of their staff and visitors.

Of course it's a major inconvenience to people waiting to collect passports and submit applications but this is yet another fallout from the reds demonstration, and is up there with the thousands of Thais who have lost their jobs or the people who have gone out business as a result.

It seems that the demonstrators are not too concerned about the havoc they are causing their fellow countrymen, and whilst I'm not a particular fan of the VFS operation, I think they have no choice.

I would hope that Visa Section has some sort of contingency plans to deal with this disruption if it goes on too long.

We strongly recommend that you do not buy a non-refundable, non-flexible ticket to the UK, until your visa application has been approved and you have received your visa. We do not accept responsibility for any financial loss and we do not fast-track applications solely due to planned date of travel.

From this webpage.

I don't think it's unreasonable to close if there are concerns for the safety of their staff and visitors.

We flew down from Chiang Mai last Friday only to find out from a colleague phoning them directly during the taxi journey to their office that they were shut. We had booked an application time for a tourist visa for my wife but they didn't bother to inform us they were closed. We wasted 2 round-trip tickets and a whole day. Now they are saying they are not sure if they will be open or not so how can we plan another trip from Chiang Mai? My mother is seriously ill and she wants to see her granddaughter before it's too late.

The demonstrations or the fall out from them are going to be there a while so why isn't there a contingency plan?

We flew down from Chiang Mai last Friday only to find out from a colleague phoning them directly during the taxi journey to their office that they were shut. We had booked an application time for a tourist visa for my wife but they didn't bother to inform us they were closed. We wasted 2 round-trip tickets and a whole day. Now they are saying they are not sure if they will be open or not so how can we plan another trip from Chiang Mai? My mother is seriously ill and she wants to see her granddaughter before it's too late.

The demonstrations or the fall out from them are going to be there a while so why isn't there a contingency plan?

Of course they should have a contingency plan, and I said so yesterday.

They are opening on an ad-hoc basis and have been taking applications on a walk in basis and returning passports to people who have checked they are available, they have been updating their website with information, though you couldn't have checked this on your flight, or answered the phone. Of course it would be ideal if they contacted everybody but I really don't know how practical that is, though I agree it should be, I cannot remember if they asked for contact details. Clearly this is a very difficult situation for applicants and the people working in VFS, but to be fair it's not of their making is it?

I don't suppose the demonstrators really care whose lives they are disrupting.

Of course they should have a contingency plan, and I said so yesterday.

They are opening on an ad-hoc basis and have been taking applications on a walk in basis and returning passports to people who have checked they are available, they have been updating their website with information, though you couldn't have checked this on your flight, or answered the phone. Of course it would be ideal if they contacted everybody but I really don't know how practical that is, though I agree it should be, I cannot remember if they asked for contact details. Clearly this is a very difficult situation for applicants and the people working in VFS, but to be fair it's not of their making is it?

I don't suppose the demonstrators really care whose lives they are disrupting.

Thanks OG

Do you, or anyone, know the current situation. Are they still open for walk-ins?

Cheers.

From the UKVAC website

30 April 2010: Important announcement - The Visa Application Centre at Regent's House is open today for a limited service. The Visa Application Centre at Regent's House is open today for walk-in customers to submit their visa application between 8.30 and 13:00 only. Applicants who know their visa decision is ready can collect it between 15.00 and 16.30 only. The limited service is due to the continued disruptions in Bangkok. Please keep monitoring this website for further updates as the situation may change at any time. We also strongly recommend that you visit the Thai British Embassy website for further information and updates on the current situation in Bangkok before visiting the visa application centre.

The UK Border Agency is also handling a backlog of applications due to the disruptions. As a result, customers may experience delays in the processing of their visa application. We apologise for any inconvenience.

GDA (excellent visa courier service)

Ok guys just some info that maybe helpful to some of you. I got a very easy tourist visa (the 2nd) for my wife couple of months ago to visit Australia with me. I didnt have to set foot in Bangkok one time and all thanks to a courier service thats attached to VFS/Aust embassy. You assemble all the required documents, bank chqs etc and they will come to your door and painstakingly go through it all to make sure everything is in order before taking it. When your visa comes thru they then return everything back to you and all for about 400 baht. The service is very good, especially if you have to travel far to Bangkok (I live in Minburi). They also have regional branches I believe. The lady speaks almost perfect english and emails are clear and concise. I actually gave a decent tip in the end and I only do that when deserved. I dont think I can give any contacts here so please pm if you need.

I didnt have to set foot in Bangkok one time and all thanks to a courier service thats attached to VFS/Aust embassy. You assemble all the required documents, bank chqs etc and they will come to your door and painstakingly go through it all to make sure everything is in order before taking it.

UK applicants have to attend the UKVAC in person so that biometrics can be taken.

However, UK applicants can arrange for their passport and documents to be returned to various locations via courier, see Courier collection. I understand that they can also arrange for a third party, such as a courier, to collect everything from the UKVAC on their behalf; but this must be done when submitting the application.

• 2 weeks later...

VFS closed Friday 14th.

I too have been thinking that with the ongoing problem, the Visa Centre should have application acceptance contingency plans in place for all those with commitments and paid-for tickets etc. to travel to the UK.

Well, today I see on the VFS website that they DO in fact have a contingency plan to help us all out:

"If you are a 'visit visa' applicant you can apply in another country outside the UK, at any time...... In this region, we strongly advise you make your application at the Visa Application Centre in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Nice one guys... That is a really helpful & convenient solution! - Not!