Thai Law Question Re: Arrest

jcbangkok

I have seen a number of news articles recently that state the Emergency Order in affect allows police to arrest people who do things like block roads. I am confused, do police not have the right to arrest people during non-emergency times for such actions?

I am getting the feeling that in normal times that a warrant must be issued before arresting somebody. Is this for all crimes (if true) even if the crime is witnessed by police or their is obvious evidence indicating a person committed a serious crime? Can't the hold people for a day or two while obtaining a warrant in such cases?

Also, I read how 15 people were arrested for blocking the road and it seemed the next day or two they were sentenced to 15-days. Does the emergency decree allow for sentencing without a trial?

I am using the above example but the law (like many things) seem to defy logic sometimes but I just don't understand some of the comments from authorities that say they have the right to do things now because of the emergency decree as if the police didn't have this right to arrest before.

Anyway, just wanted some insight into the power of law enforcement here in normal times.

***Please don't make this about politics as it will get the thread closed and might result in your being warned/suspended for posting political posts outside the news section.

Thanks!

Edited by jcbangkok

I just saw a foreign (white) guy on Soi 23 getting some kind of ticket from a motorbike cop, he seemed to have been pulled over in his nice shiny new BMW X6, he was standing next to one anyway and as it was a traffic cop I'm assuming it was his vehicle.

It seems the cops still have plenty of time to issue tickets, etc even with all the demonstrations going on which they are choosing to conveniently ignore.