Bamboo House Build

Smithson

Spectacular.....I can confirm the use of a spine in the thatched roof material other than bamboo and you will have no problem with borers. We used it and 2 years on not a bit of dust from the roof, no borers in the thatch etc.....shit load of geckos but.

Also can confirm no issue with electric meter with a thatched roof.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked up on wikipedi: boorax treated wood

and got this:

""Borate preservatives

Boric acid, oxides and salts (borates) are effective wood preservatives and are supplied under numerous brand names throughout the world. Borate treated wood is of low toxicity to humans, and does not contain copper or other heavy metals. However, unlike most other preservatives, borate compounds do not become fixed in the wood and can readily be leached out. Therefore they should not be used where they will be exposed to rain, water or ground contact. Recent interest in low toxicity timber for residential use, along with new regulations restricting some wood preservation agents, has resulted in a resurgence of the use of borate treated wood for floor beams and internal structural members""

I would love to see how your house will hold up in lets say in 5-10 years

I would not mind to put a bamboo extention on to my house in a couple of years if it holds very well.

cheers

jopham

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much. This is very inspiring. I'm gonna build on Phangan soon and inspirational eco-friendly solutions such as this one are very welcome.

Not sure if I can get this type of bamboo down here. Where are you located?

I don't think the variety of bamboo is available on Phangan. We are located in Nakhon Nayok, 1.5 hrs east of Bangkok. For this build I selected each pole before it was cut, experience had taught me not to rely on others as they would deliver immature bamboo.

As for the borate treatment, I'm confident the house will be fine in 10 years. There has been no attacks on treated poles, one pole that is exposed to morning sun has some cracking, this was expected, so I designed it to be replaced easily.

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, below are some pics and info.

- The bamboo we sourced from a local farmer. To ensure the quality/maturity we picked each pole and were there when they were cut.

- We treated them ourselves and continue to treat bamboo for other projects.

- The suggestion of fire extinguishers is excellent, I noticed this in thatch resorts in Bali, but haven't see them here.

View from the front, during heavy rain and wind we will get some spray in parts of the house, however this is rare and I don't want to lose the open feel.post-25665-0-53369900-1311163123_thumb.j

One from inside.

post-25665-0-31438300-1311163204_thumb.j

Looking up the stairs to the mezzanine, our 'bedroom' is behind the woven panel.

post-25665-0-02444400-1311163322_thumb.j

The mezzanine floor, we had a lot of furniture made from bamboo we'd treated.

post-25665-0-81235600-1311163430_thumb.j

The kitchen,

post-25665-0-20831800-1311163494_thumb.j

Another view from outside

post-25665-0-10765800-1311163581_thumb.j

Amazing work! Now you are finish your house, how much you paid for everything?

Grez

Thomas

I love the house, how much money would you like to build one for me?!

- The bamboo we sourced from a local farmer. To ensure the quality/maturity we picked each pole and were there when they were cut.

- The suggestion of fire extinguishers is excellent, I noticed this in thatch resorts in Bali, but haven't see them here.

View from the front, during heavy rain and wind we will get some spray in parts of the house, however this is rare and I don't want to lose the open feel.post-25665-0-53369900-1311163123_thumb.j

One from inside.

Looking up the stairs to the mezzanine, our 'bedroom' is behind the woven panel.

The kitchen,

Grez

Thomas

Edited by johnd33

About 800.000 THB i will do it for you :coffee1:

Grez

Thomas

I love the house, how much money would you like to build one for me?!

One from inside.

The kitchen,

Grez

Thomas

Edited by thomas2969

The build wasn't expensive, although I can't really put a figure on it. A lot of time was spent researching, finding suppliers etc.

If anyone is seriously interested in bamboo building/architecture, pls feel free to PM. I'm looking to come up with more out of the ordinary designs that really take advantage of the tensile strength of the material.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much. This is very inspiring. I'm gonna build on Phangan soon and inspirational eco-friendly solutions such as this one are very welcome.

Not sure if I can get this type of bamboo down here. Where are you located?

There is a resort just outside of Thongsala on Koh Phangan called B52 the owner is Thai but speaks very good english last year they had some rooms built out of bamboo and thatch I noted that they had all the bamboo floating in the sea for weeks and pulled it out as required one of the workers told me that the salt water stops any infestation and that the bamboo once treated like this will never be attacked due to the salt I am sure he would tell you where the bamboo came from but I suspect it was from up north.

Yes, that´s right the Bamboo is not that expensive. The most expensive is the treatment for protect insects, the special construction and the worker who need more time than for a normaly house construction who is made from stone.

That´s what i said, i will do it for about 800.000 THB, so if anybody is interested just PM me.

:jap: Greeting :jap:

Thomas

Edited by thomas2969

In my mind, i don´t think so that you can find a serious builder who will make this house (inclusive foundations and floor slab) for you for about much more less than 800.000 THB.

:jap: Greetings :jap:

Thomas

Edited by thomas2969