Bored In Sakon

consnabit

Thanks for the transfer tips i.e. dollars. My bank in Hawaii is SO LAME they don't even offer transfer of funds option. GEEZE So in this way Thailand is really ahead of HI. LOL But not Phila :-) I'm checkin out Citi bank -online...... I just don't want to get "beat up" when transferring funds on a regular basis to Thailand. I now bank w/ Kasikorn bank and it seems like they charge me for EVERYTHING. LOL money in=charge; money out = charge.LOL what a system.

I have Citibank online in the states and BKK Bank here. BKK bank has a branch in NY as well. When I move $$ from citi to bkk I'm charged domestic transfer to NY bank not international. Use your BKK acct number and transfer to BKK bank in NY with your Thai acct number. Funds will end up in BKK bank. Transfer dollars, BKK will convert to Baht

Low cost and effective.

Hey Baht Man,

Thanks "big time." I applied for a Citybank online account, but was turned down. I have a mailing address in HI but wanted them to send my new account "packet" to me in Thailand. It originally went through but was "closed" by Citi because I don't have anyone to forward my mail. For some reason I have yet to tell US postal to send everything here. Maybe that's b/c they only do that for a/b 6 months then stop.

I had a BKK account and will certainly re-open one. Your method sounds FANTASTIC. Currently however I feel like I'm caught in a "time crunch." We'll be relocating to Isaan in June. I'm hesitant to have mail forwarded before I'm there etc. Hope you can follow this....LOL Come to think of it I have felt somewhat confused since "touching down" Jan.01, 2006 LOL or maybe it an "age thing." ??????

Cheers and thanks again.

Keoki

What did all you silly farangs think was awaiting you up in Nakorn Nowhere?

Anyone could have told you not to move up there...but noooooooo...gotta do whatever my dek baan nok orders me to do 55555555555.

And you talk from own experience, or just being a champ

I've just had a 7-8 month stint out in Sakon Nakhon. I have a house near Phu Phan national park.

It can get a little quiet out there. I'm currently back overseas earning the crust.

There is a farang bar in Sakon called the welcome bar (used to be the toon army bar) that gets some of the expats visiting there.

It's nice to pop in once a week or so for a glass of coke, if your driving that is.

I suppose different people get a kick out of doing different things. I like riding the bike and walking thru the woods/jungle.

Since coming away from there it's nice to be able to look back and think what your gonna do next time.

Having a hobby.

After a year up here

what took so long ?

ps how do u guys live, not even in the middle, but on the outskirts of nowhere ?

come down south back to your forang brothers and sisters

• 1 month later...

The OP has voiced what I have been concerned about for a long time.

I still live in BKK, but plan to move up country (or north-east), which has always worried me a bit regarding what to do.

I easily get restless.

Have because of that decided to move to the nearest city of wife's home town (willage), which is Khon Kaen.

Anyone from KK here?

The OP has voiced what I have been concerned about for a long time.

I still live in BKK, but plan to move up country (or north-east), which has always worried me a bit regarding what to do.

I easily get restless.

Have because of that decided to move to the nearest city of wife's home town (willage), which is Khon Kaen.

Anyone from KK here?

yep

for all info about KK ask here http://www.khonkaen.com/english/forum/

Well I’m back in Sakon and have been here for 2 weeks now. I am a Teacher and have a pretty good gig that pays 30k with a free nice apartment and motorcycle so that’s pretty good for Sakon. I was here last year also for a few months and I actually like it here. Like many of you im not into the filthy Bkk scene or dirty Pattaya scene etc. Been there done it. I’ve been in Thailand for 10 years strait. I’m now single and don’t think it will be too hard to find a nice girl here because there really isn’t a bar scene here so to speak where the Thai girls are looking to hook up with a rich farang and most cannot speak English so it kinda makes you have to get better with the ole Thai language.

Anyways, when we were looking for apartments I noticed that all of them have a good internet connection (as far as good connections go in Thailand). Last year it was 2,500 baht per month but now its 4,500 but it is a really nice and new big room fully furnished etc. However I will be looking for something that has a little garden area or a property if anyone has any suggestions around the same price? I like to sit outside and enjoy a frosty after work J. I like where I am behind Big-C due to the market, Big-C etc.

I play golf too and am a tool man as well, like to tinker around. I play guitar and sing mostly Bluegrass music if anyone else here plays and wants to get together you can message me. I also play anything from old time rock, Clapton, Petty, Neil young, blues etc etc.

Sakon is a great place to bee if you wanna get away, live cheap, learn Thai and relax.

I have also had a few frosties at Welcome Bar (Former Army Bar). Malcolm is a pretty cool guy and there are some farangs that pop in here and there. I know he wouldn’t be apposed if a few of us got together to play some music.

Anyways I look forward to hanging out here for as long as the wind blows or at least until something else interesting pops up.

Thanx OP for making a post about Sakon Nakhon. J

banjo-playing-buddy-icon.gif

After a year up here

what took so long ?

ps how do u guys live, not even in the middle, but on the outskirts of nowhere ?

Well.To live up here is Only for the "ironmen"

Love It !

Indeed! Some might define civilised differently, yes? Comes down to what one might be conditioned towards. Everyone has an alternative stimulus threshold.....the ideals of 'boredom' in the isolated sticks is purely make-believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I lived just outside of Pattaya for 3.5 years, now live 25km from Ubon city, in the sticks. In the end I found Pattaya boring- but I like it here.

Each to their own I suppose.

Yes sabang, it is a matter of difference. Village life. Some of us would know nothing else - or accept such lifestyles. The foundation of boredom might be more instinctive in others......pre-disposed stimulation. I've been fortunate to reside in Sukhothai, Chaiyaphum, and Surin - all extreme countryside situations and I wouldn't have it any other way. Bored? Heavens no! I don't know what that might be...

Ah, romantic S.N.! I used to go up that part of the woods with my ex - her family lived in a small village about 15km outside of S.N. To get mobile phone reception you had to almost stand on the roof of her house.

The only food that they had available was fried frog and locally-caught fish, cooked over a few wooden sticks that they collected. I used to go mad with boredom after a few hours. I used to bring 'emergency' rations in the car and retreat inside the wooden shack until it was time to drive back to Bangkok.

Happily divorced now, can't say that I miss S.N.!!

Simon