Any Advice On Importing Landrovers From The Uk

Hi,

We want to bring in a few landrovers, (defenders and Mk 111's), from the UK

does anyone know if this is possible, (obviously via, containers)

How much tax do we pay on 15 year old LR's, is it based on the UK invoice of the UK price, or do the Thais have there own formula

Is there coffee money involvled!!!!, or is everything legal and easy

and if it is possible, does anyone know, and customs handler, who we can pay to get the LRS out of the port...

finally,

do we bring in one at a time, or together, we have proper visas here, and initially they are for personal use

please PM any good contacts....

We are not niaive, we know we have to pay, but we just want to know if anyone has gone thro this... and if is work the grief and pain!!!

cheers

nick

Nick, suggest you spend some time searching/scanning the motor sub-forum of thaivisa, where you will find dozens of stories by people who have been through this process. You will see that at least 9 out of 10 of them say "don't even think about it!"

sell your house get a new mortgage it sounds daft but would you not e better sourcing here. or pay 115% duty

as far as i can ascertain maybe more??

Why would anybody in their right mind want to do it? The bodies corrode like batteries, spares are almost impossible to find and they offer virtually nothing that a Toyota 4WD pickup doesn't. A rubbish car in a rubbish country?

sell your house get a new mortgage it sounds daft but would you not e better sourcing here. or pay 115% duty

Why would anybody in their right mind want to do it? The bodies corrode like batteries, spares are almost impossible to find and they offer virtually nothing that a Toyota 4WD pickup doesn't. A rubbish car in a rubbish country?

Corrosion?????? My LandRover is far beyond 40... and it's superb fun to drive. Rubbish???? Maintenece remains a permanent hobby which keeps you a little bit busy, away from all day in a bar. I agree that it is not a good idea to import one, too expensive, but LandRover is for sure a big fun.

post-47658-1272680908_thumb.jpg

Remember that on top of the tax you pay for the vehicle you will also pay tax on the transportation fees. This tax is at very high levels. Look on the Thai customs web site to get a clearer idea on how expensive this will turn out. I think you will scrap thae idea.

Why bring them in? If you want to import them to sell them on the price would have to be way too high, if you want to make a profit. Plus, if you are importing one as a personal import there may be a time limitation on the resale. In other words you may have to keep it yourself for a lengthy period before you are allowed to sell it.

If you are importing to sell ask if you need some sort of impoter/dealer licence.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Forget it mate. I'd love a Landy over here too. You'll after make do with a mundane Pickup I'm afraid. Tax's are heavily biased towards vehicles manufactered or I should say, assembled here. I suspect 98% of the vehicles on Thai roads are assembled in Thailand.

Maybe you could take them to bits and import as spare parts I don't know, but I suspect its more trouble than its worth.

90/110/130's are available here as well as Range Rovers, Discoveries and Freelanders, we are the licenced importer for LandRover and have a dealership in BKK.

Edited by Spoonman

Foreign cars in Thailand are just not worth it. example, Mini cooper 5 years old, Thailand almost 2 million baht = £40k same car in the UK £4k = 190,000 baht....the same formula applies to most other makes/models......just dosnt make sense to consider owning a foreign car here.

Thai Customs decide the value of the car. I know from bitter experience that they do not care about invoices or how much you paid or whether your paperwork is in order. They will make you pay through the nose or keep the car. With tax upon tax upon tax it works out to around 200% tax of THEIR valuation of the car. Either way they win and you lose. Guaranteed.

Corrosion?????? My LandRover is far beyond 40... and it's superb fun to drive. Rubbish???? Maintenece remains a permanent hobby which keeps you a little bit busy, away from all day in a bar. I agree that it is not a good idea to import one, too expensive, but LandRover is for sure a big fun.

post-47658-1272680908_thumb.jpg

Google, Land Rover Corrosion. It's inevitable with one part of the panel made from ali and the other from steel.

How many tins of Isopon have you used to fill the bottom of your doors? I had my Land Rover back at Solihull 5 times and they never got it right. Completely useless bit of junk.