Chemotherapy - Does It Work?

Expat J, Pancreatic cancer is one of the most of the difficult kind.

One kind of chemo that has not been covered so far (I think) is 'preventive' chemo; a friend is having one after an ovary/uterus resection ; she has no secondary tumour on the scan, but maybe a few stray cells, so she's having 4 rounds . I would have had such after my sigmoid resection, they cut 5 cm each way , just to make sure ; only in my case I went straight for a full scale lung chemo after so it does for both.

Then the pills which are given to ex- uterus, breast , prostatis patients are a chemo too I've just learned.

I read about qi qong on this thread; I practised my qi qong straight after my operation and every now and then, sure doesn't harm, but if I only had it as a cure I'd be cold now. It's great for general physical & mental balance and it helps me bear it all. Qi qong people pretending they can cure cancer I'd be wary about.

Acupuncture I had for my tinnitus as well as to quit smoking 6 years ago, I know it's powerful.

I wonder if my former acupuncturist (who is a regular GP too)would venture to consider my case. Anyway just now I have no time for this.

Just quit smoking y'all; recent studies show smoking is instrumental in colon cancers as well (+ bladder )

having stopped 6 years ago allows me to withstand everything better anyway.

lala kap na .

Yes, as previously mentioned, chemotherapy falls into many different categories.

For some types of cancer, chemotherapy, either alone or in combination with surgery or radiastion, is completekly curative.

In other situations it is palliative, i.e.it does not permanetly eradicate the cancer but it slows its growth or creates a temporary remission and thereby extends life. For how long, varies greatly according to both the type of cancer and the individual.

There is also a great variation in chemotherapeutic drugs and their toxicity. Most peopel associate "chemo" with drugs that act by interfering with cell division and therefore have substantial effects on normal cells too and thus many side effects (altho varying by idnividual), but there are also newer drugs that act much more selectively.

This is why sweeping generalizations -- and the title of this thread -- about chemo do not make sense.

If by discover one has cancer you mean, get the diagnosis made, it is fine for that provided (1) you know what tests are needed and take the initiative to request them and (2) you take the time to research doctor qualifications and select accordingly for investigation of any abnormalities testing may uncover.

The Thai population fares quite poorly in early detection of cancer because regular check-ups and screening are just not part of the cultural mind-set and also under-emphasized in the publuic health care system.

The check up packages offered here are good value for money but the burden is totally on the patient to know what tests they need, you don't get informed counselling as to that, it's just "what do you want?".

As for getting treatment, again if one takes the time to choose physician carefully (not hard to do as the larger hospitals post qualifications on their websites), it is fine but it will cost. Thais can get it at no or nominal cost at a government hospital but not foreigners. If one is comparing to the costs of treatment in the west at self-pay then it is cheaper, but the thing is, few cancer patients in the west pay for their own treatment. It is usually either given under a national health system or paid throguh insurance, whereas in Thailand (unless one has insurance, which a surprising number of foreigners living here do not), you have to pay and the cost will be considerable.

As to coming here for a rest after cancer, it's a fine place.

Thank you Sheryl.

Sometimes I fantasize about retiring in LOS and having my checks done there, when my mind starts wandering. If I ever do, I'll know about the tests I'll need . But as now it is just a dream . I've already had small sums re- imbursed by my NHS by providing the Thaï bills in English ; it just took time for them to translate the 'K' s, ie the acts, into their own system. There are time -limits to respect to keep the coverage .

I like to know the Thaï can enjoy free or cheap cancer treatment . As to check up in the west , I went to my GP regular, did blood tests often, did the colorectal test , to no avail(no blood) .(he wanted me to have a chest X ray but I objected to it :D )

The truth, I had the documents for colorectal test one year before but forgot about them, I could have had a second one a few months before I eventually found out :D

but maybe to no avail again :) who knows ? One thing for sure, once they saw it they acted fast .

I had prostatis checks before. Women here have proper checks for specific cancers.

sawasdee ton chao I guess :D

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if I can just ask a question here rather than starting a new Thread.

A friend's Aunty (Thai) has be diagnosed with breast Cancer a few months ago. My Thais not very good but from what I can gather, she has been given Chemo approx once per month, for the last few months. She basically goes to the hospital , stays in over night and gets some Chemo injections and then returns home Sick as a Dog as can be expected. I gather she has had lumps for a couple of years but didn't for what ever reason , seek medical advise until her nipple sort of inverted. I've been to the Hospital a couple of times and from what I can gather there's not a lot of communication going on between Doctor and patient. Its a very over crowded General Hospital.

Now she is getting lots of advice from people at home. She's had the religious and not so religious house gatherings to chase away evil spirits and the like, I'm sure its good for her mental health and I'm not knocking it, but the latest is she's off to Bangkok next week for some treatment, and is asking around the family for donations towards the cost. I'm not sure exactly what the treatment is at the moment.

But would I be wrong to assume Kemo is Kemo, and she'll get the same treatment under her 30 baht scheme, as Something private in Bangkok. They certainly can't afford it for one thing.

there are different kinds of chemo molecules; I was given three different ones, and now only one ; the reason why must be some kind of state secret .it's overcrowded too .I gather women with breast cancers get X rays after chemo ( when the tumour has decreased enough) ; then maybe an operation at some point .What she might receive in BKK could be an 'anti body booster' (Avastin) which boosts the chemo, but my body couldn't take it for long .It would be a good idea to discuss the BKK trip with her usual doctor really , especially to have a close look at her blood counts to see if she can take more , and then it will interfere with her next chemo, maybe delay it.Try to know whether she's had a scan which shows the tumour decreases and do not spread ; if so, the treatment works and she just sticks with it .Anyway, I don't think a chemo will terminate the tumour . Seems to me she 'd better make tam boon with the money and have a great ceremony , just one injection of whatever won't change much , and more would ruin her .( rule of thumb : if she comes back sick as a dog then recovers enough to go to BKK, she gets just the right dose and will make it ; I know two women who've had two breast cancers ). keep in touch.