Pattaya V Phuket V Samui

crudy21

Quick lowdown, 4 of my friends (male, UK, around 30) are planning a trip to Thailand for their first time. As i have been to Thailand many times they keep asking me for advice, i can advise on Bangkok and Pattaya but i have don't have much idea about the islands.

Their questions range from price of a beer, a room and other nocturnal activities that i would really have no idea about. I know you can get a beer in various bars on Soi 7 Pattaya for 35 Baht and a draught in a gogo for around 50 baht but how are the Samui and Phuket prices? Also a half decent hotel room in Pattaya is very easily found for 500 Baht, would this be a case on the islands?

Taking in to account the exchange rate a beer on say Soi Cowboy or Nana in Bangkok at 150 Baht equates to a whopping £6 a pint! These are the prices they are looking to avoid basically.

Also apart from one or two nicer beaches on the islands, is there anything else much different from Pattaya?

Thanks.

On Samui beer starts at 60 Baht, a decent room can be had for 500-600 Baht, the other activity you allude to is 1k Baht.

I would suggest taking bus or train and boat to Samui however as flights here are very expensive compared with Phuket for instance.

Edited by smokie36

male, UK, around 30

i thought the only place this strata was allowed in thailand was soi post office , pattaya (i.e., the dog's bullox)

These are rural Northern lads, not your average Soi Post Office clientelle. Just looking for a good time without breaking the bank.

I wouldn't recommend The Dogs <deleted> to my worst enemy!

Depends on what you are looking to do. If you are really into the beach, want to do some scuba diving, visit various beaches, etc., then Phuket and Samui are great! Quite a bit more expensive than Pattaya...and a lot less "nocturnal" activities. Plus getting around these islands, unless you have your own transport, is a mess.

If you want to drink a lot of beer, spend most of the day recovering sitting around a pool or on a beach chair, then blast off again at night...Pattaya is a great option. The beach is not one to go swimming in...Jomtien is better...and they get better the further south you go.

You can find some really cheap places to drink in Pattaya...as well as eat. Many more options than on the two islands. Again, depends on what you are looking to do.

I spent almost a month in Phuket last August. We had FEW rainless days. FEW days you could safely swim. It was a mess. Not the best time to visit for sure.

For swimming and weather, choose Samui in September.

Cheapest beers are 60 baht.

In the lady bars 100 baht.

Motorbike 1000bht/week, 3000bht/month.

Descent guest house 500-600 baht (On the beach 1500+)

"Other" activity 1K.

Chaweng or Lamai beach.

More other activity in Lamai.

It's got to be Pattaya although 2 weeks there would mean you would need a holiday,lol.

Why don't they they split it 1 week Pattaya and 1 week wherever if they are planning 2 weeks.

It's got to be Pattaya although 2 weeks there would mean you would need a holiday,lol.

Why don't they they split it 1 week Pattaya and 1 week wherever if they are planning 2 weeks.

I doubt if it was my first trip I'd want to miss Pattaya either. Maybe 5 nights there then move south for the beaches.

OP wrote:

"Taking in to account the exchange rate a beer on say Soi Cowboy or Nana in Bangkok at 150 Baht equates to a whopping £6 a pint!"

Better re-check your math, mate.

My suggestion would be to not focus on recommendations for specific areas, but giving them advice on do's and don't's which apply at any location.

As for country boys in areas with risque activities going on around them, the Horton Fenty character in the movie "Paint Your Wagon" comes to mind.

While they are traveling as a group and on a budget, I would recommend that they get their own rooms, unless they don't mind being disturbed in a "ten toes up, ten toes down" moment.

OP wrote:

"Taking in to account the exchange rate a beer on say Soi Cowboy or Nana in Bangkok at 150 Baht equates to a whopping £6 a pint!"

Hmm not so sure mate, 150 baht = £3, 2 x bottles of beer = 1 pint, therefore 2 x 150 bottles = 1 pint = 300 baht = £6, surely?

OP wrote:

Hmm not so sure mate, 150 baht = £3, 2 x bottles of beer = 1 pint, therefore 2 x 150 bottles = 1 pint = 300 baht = £6, surely?

150 Baht for a bottle of beer? :)

Where are you drinking this stuff coz I thought the Champagne Room closed a while back.

Ur bein ripped off matey. :D

OP wrote:

My suggestion would be to not focus on recommendations for specific areas, but giving them advice on do's and don't's which apply at any location.

As for country boys in areas with risque activities going on around them, the Horton Fenty character in the movie "Paint Your Wagon" comes to mind.

While they are traveling as a group and on a budget, I would recommend that they get their own rooms, unless they don't mind being disturbed in a "ten toes up, ten toes down" moment.

You didnt read the thread before telling him he was wrong.Read again please and come back to me when you have sussed it out.

2 x bottles of beer = 1 pint,

Where in Thailand are they serving 8oz bottles of beer?

What are they teaching in grade school arithmetic these days?

Go to Samui by rail and boat. Samui has more charm for sure. If you fly there it will cost you.

Phuket is OK but is there any beach you can sit on with a bit of shade without having to pay 200 baht?

At least Samui has nice trees on the beaches and is pretty hassle free. If you sit on a chair in Samui you won't get ganged up on.

You can find cheap hotels in Phuket at the moment because it's low season but in Samui you can STILL get huts on the beach for 150 baht in Maneam.

Don't use taxi's anywhere. Rent a motorcycle and try to get a weekly deal.

Your friends may like Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao which are a boat ride away.

In my opinion the Thai food is much better in Samui. It's more Thai and more reasonable if you go where the locals go.

I can't really speak for Pattaya. Been there twice with the missus and thought it was a bit of a hole...

Go to Samui by rail and boat. Samui has more charm for sure. If you fly there it will cost you.

Phuket is OK but is there any beach you can sit on with a bit of shade without having to pay 200 baht?

At least Samui has nice trees on the beaches and is pretty hassle free. If you sit on a chair in Samui you won't get ganged up on.

You can find cheap hotels in Phuket at the moment because it's low season but in Samui you can STILL get huts on the beach for 150 baht in Maneam.

Don't use taxi's anywhere. Rent a motorcycle and try to get a weekly deal.

Your friends may like Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao which are a boat ride away.

In my opinion the Thai food is much better in Samui. It's more Thai and more reasonable if you go where the locals go.

I can't really speak for Pattaya. Been there twice with the missus and thought it was a bit of a hole...

Be careful on the scooters. Isn't Samui the #1 place in Thailand for foreigners getting hurt? I know when I have visited, you see plenty bandaged up while sitting in the bars...but getting around without one is a real pain...mafia really controls transportation there.

I would say for a group of blokes just wanting a good time stick to Pattaya.

Easy to get to and cheaper than Phuket and Samui.

If they don't like it after a few days move to somewhere else.

They can get a flight from U.Tapao to Phuket or Samui

Go to Pattaya for two nights ( just to see it ) then hire a car ( about £6 each a day )and drive to Koh Chang.

Great little island, nice beaches go go girls if you want. If they like Pattaya then stay but I hate the place and I am a northern lad in my thirties.

Two weeks in Pattaya sounds like hard work but two weeks in Koh Chang is a holiday.

Samui is nice but a bit like Pattaya in places as in too busy, however Lamai beach is the most unspoilt but with enough nightlife if you want it.

Phuket is also a spoilt island over built and over priced.

This is just my personal opinion as there are many that love drinking in bars all day surrounded by girls, but not me.

Blooming heck I must be getting old. :)

OP wrote:

1 pint = 568.26 ml = 1.722 bottles of beer of 330 ml each ~ £5.30

A taxi to Pattaya will cost 1,200 between 4 from the airport and take approx 1 hour, compare this to the 4,500 each for a one way flight to Samui and then 500-700 taxi fare it really is a no brainer. Eerything is far cheaper in Pattaya, rooms, food, taxis, drinks compared to Samui and Phuket, also plenty to do and a lot more fun. If they want a few days of Island feeling they can go to Koh Samet or Koh Chang easily from Pattaya.....budget and less time trafelling stick with Pattaya!!!

OP wrote:

1 pint = 568.26 ml = 1.722 bottles of beer of 330 ml each ~ £5.30

+ obligitory tip!

I agree with splitting the time between Pattaya and the beaches. For the first time 1 week in Pattaya is plenty, after that your mates will need R&R somewhere more relaxing. The islands down south are of course world renown, but have all of the issues already mentioned: higher costs, logistical difficulties of getting there and around, and very high opportunity cost for if the weather is bad you're stuck on the island.

Another option are the beaches on the Eastern Seaboard. I'm running a small beach guest house (maerabeachhouse.com) on Maerumphung Beach not far from Baan Phe and in the same national park as Koh Samet. It's a beautiful and long (10km) beach only 45 minutes from Pattaya. Our area is still very Thai and there are few after dark options but i'm sure that after a week in Pattaya that will be welcome. Maeramphung is only the first of many beautiful beaches as you head east along Rt 3/Sukhumvit rd.

If you want more of a tourist vibe Koh Samet or Koh Chang offer that. I think Koh Samet is similar to Koh Samui, and Koh Chang is more like Phuket. But again, September is still in the rain season so getting stuck on an island in the rain is a distinct possibility. I would recommend staying on the mainland, which will give you more options.

Hope it helps. Feel free to ping me if you need more info. Email and phone numbers are on the site.

I would advice them to go to Pattaya, looks like they are more interested in Walking Street and Soi7 / 8 then in Beaches. However if they need a nice Beach, Koh Lan is 45 min. by Ferry for 30 Baht one way. Nice Beaches, clear water and some lovely Russians to look at. If they dont like it they still could go to Koh Chang without breaking the bank.

September in Phuket is rainy. Kata Beach usually has a surf contest, the waves are usually about the biggest of the year! It's monsoon season. Patong in Phuket is like Pattaya for girls and bars. Other parts of the island are quiet and the water is much nicer than Pattaya. Never been to Samui. I have one friend that likes it, most don't. But Sept in Samui I think is their high season? I know it can flooded in parts there as it can in Patong here. Koh Chang is pretty nice, the beaches aren't great. You have to walk out quite a ways to get in the water. There wasn't much night life at least when I went 5 years ago...

Unless your friends ride motorbikes where they come from, it's not a good idea to try to learn here! I see many tourists with road rash or worse. Plus they must have a drivers license... Flights to Phuket from BKK are pretty cheap. Taxi's and tuk tuks aren't!