Linux Why?

h90

yesterday I tried to install Mandriva Linux (I did not like Ubuntu a year or 2 ago).

All the difficult things went well and automatic some minor silly problems could be fixed.

now I have my opera and firefox, skype, wireless, nvidia support.

I did not check for the thunderbird yet and I did not check for the energy save options yet (laptop).

I use it in dual boot with WinXP.

Now my fazit:

Needed resources: same or higher (than WinXP)

safety: much better (but I didn't had any problems on XP so far)

finding suitable programs: much more difficult

installing programs: much more difficult

startup time: slightly slower

speed to start applications: slightly faster

In total I don't see much of an advantage nor an disadvantage.

It is clear for me that it would be the better choice for a file or web server, but I can't find any advantages in using it on the desktop if a WinXP system works already.

Any ideas/comments from anyone?

It's free (legally), pretty much all software designed to run on it is free, viruses are a non-issue, you are supporting the wonderful concept of Open Source, ideologically it beats choosing a system whereby every single (legal) computer user in the world contributes to the funds of wither Microsoft or Apple, and so supports the monopoly of 2 companies...

In my household we have 2 Windows XP and one Ubuntu based system. The Ubuntu one is mine, and I love it's stability - I also feel that I am flicking a finger at Microsoft, and this feels good! The only time I use the Windows machines is to sort out the viruses for my gf, install anti-malware products, etc... There have been times where having the Ubuntu machine has been a real help for the Windows users: mp3 files that wouldn't burn off on either windows machine but did so with no problem on Ubuntu, flash drives that can't be read on Windows that work on Ubuntu... :D

I also like the "little things" in my ubuntu installation such as when I hover over an mp3 file it starts playing instantly - great for putting playlists together. The take screenshot tool (that I use a lot) has great easy to use features that saves messing with cropping. I like the fact that both K3b and Brasero just burn disks without messing about with what is and isn't copyright protected (personal backups only of course :) ). I just find it to be a much better system, with great security. I love laughing at virus problems on Windows machines - see, it makes me happy!

It's free (legally), pretty much all software designed to run on it is free, viruses are a non-issue, you are supporting the wonderful concept of Open Source, ideologically it beats choosing a system whereby every single (legal) computer user in the world contributes to the funds of wither Microsoft or Apple, and so supports the monopoly of 2 companies...

In my household we have 2 Windows XP and one Ubuntu based system. The Ubuntu one is mine, and I love it's stability - I also feel that I am flicking a finger at Microsoft, and this feels good! The only time I use the Windows machines is to sort out the viruses for my gf, install anti-malware products, etc... There have been times where having the Ubuntu machine has been a real help for the Windows users: mp3 files that wouldn't burn off on either windows machine but did so with no problem on Ubuntu, flash drives that can't be read on Windows that work on Ubuntu... :D

I also like the "little things" in my ubuntu installation such as when I hover over an mp3 file it starts playing instantly - great for putting playlists together. The take screenshot tool (that I use a lot) has great easy to use features that saves messing with cropping. I like the fact that both K3b and Brasero just burn disks without messing about with what is and isn't copyright protected (personal backups only of course :) ). I just find it to be a much better system, with great security. I love laughing at virus problems on Windows machines - see, it makes me happy!

I agree with all of that, and the Mandriva looks like a serious Operating System, while the Microsoft products look like a Walt Disney OS for children.....

I'll keep it for dual boot for the moment. I'll try to set up a virtual WinXp computer later for all that software which runs in Microsoft OS only. (We have a lot of very old software, designed for DOS and Win95 with copy protections that must be hacked to install it on modern computers).

Edit: somehow the internet feels faster with Linux, but that is not logic as it is the same ADSL connection and the same browsers (Firefox, Opera)

Edited by h90

to add: some things are different than in Windows, after you get used to it, they bring a big benefit.

like the 4 desktops. Just the software issue.....

Just installed Ubuntu 10.04 today. I was on previous versions 9.10 and 9.04 before that. The old Dell desktop is rock solid reliable and lightning fast running Linux. The upgrade to 10.04 was completely trouble free and fast.

The main thing I like about Linux is that when I set up a friend/family member with a Linux machine, I never have to go back. If I set them up with Windows, I'm guaranteed 2 or 3 go-backs within a year, some of which will be complete erase and reinstalls.

• 1 month later...

Now my fazit:

Needed resources: same or higher (than WinXP)

safety: much better (but I didn't had any problems on XP so far)

finding suitable programs: much more difficult

installing programs: much more difficult

startup time: slightly slower

speed to start applications: slightly faster

There is not a redeemable feature in the above claptrap, wonder the purpose of posting it. may idle amusement of a surfeited life.

Most Linuxes can ran on very old computers with minimal memory and power requirements. Try XP on a 10 years old computer and it will tale an hour to come up.

Programs are available galore, and can be installed from various repositories, with one click, Synaptic, RPM, pacman, ZYpp etc. and no need to down load from bit torrents or head to Pantip Plaza and by trash.

Operating system from Microsoft, windows etc, after each start up, they pick but junk and load up the registry with trash, even without virus etc, same computer with same operating system and same complement of software will take twice the time to start up.

There may be problem with installing a proprietary software, but then if the Installation Instruction is read properly and the dependencies are installed, the over all installation is few clicks. I use a Mathematical /Engineering software like Matlab and Ansys, on a lasted computer(PC, 64 Bit) and it blazes away. All the financial institution either use Linux or BSD for their servers, they do have money to by Windows, but they seem to have brain and money and avoid crap.

I been using Linux for long time and never will go back to Windows, it is not that it is free, it is just has no head aches virus crashes etc,

Brazil is an emerging economy, and most of its Universities have long switched to Debian based Linux, and then Portugal followed, given that they have common language

as well Paris Police went Linux, on average they save $60 000 000 a year.

German Government is heavy user of Linux for it Social Security and Welfare System etc, there are lot of example but one thing is clear Linux is here to stay.

@h90

Why not use it for more than 1 day until discussing its qualities? ;)

(I'm not advocating either OS, just a profound discussion - which to be fair I'm not adding to much)

peace :D

Edited by welo

• 3 weeks later...

You tried ubuntu 2 years ago and therefore wont bother with the hour download and 5 min install today? I think that's a mistake. :)

What do you use your computer for apart from the obvious email/browsing ? This will help us answer how linux and what linux flavour might be better for you and why.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to feed the trolls! (trolls are people too)

Why?

(1) XP has a serious bug(you can google it) for those doing a lot of torrenting from wifi spots.

Basically the registry tells xp it cannot connect to the internet due to maximum connections reached,

Yes I've tried registry cleaners and they are not relevant. Hacking the registry or reintalling XP are only options

Windows 7 and Vista have fixed this problem I'm told but I didn't want to reformat my laptop(its my company's)

So I said, why not give linux another try - I last used it round 2006.

I installed Ubuntu Lucid lynx and am very happy with it. In addition to no max out problems

it also lets me control my trackpad - xp doesn't even list it in the hardware and is less

annoying than xp in quite a few ways. Many windows programs run in linux too.

It's not perfect as I have had a few problems on wep networks but those usually get sorted out

with software updates.

to add: some things are different than in Windows, after you get used to it, they bring a big benefit.

like the 4 desktops. Just the software issue.....

You can have up to 16 desktops - just go into control panel and change it.

I use synaptic to install programs from PClinuxOS repo. no searching and only requires click apply and no rebooting. All programs in the repo have been tested to some extent and you can ask about them. If its not in the repo then provide the info and after its been tested they add it. I found its simple to not ever use out of repo software. Just click apply can't do that in windows they don't have a repo.

Updates are from the repo and no reinstall is required for most new release as its a rolling distro. Just click update apply and it updates not just the OS but every piece of software or program on the system that has an update. Can't do that in windows they don't have a repo of all your install and or available programs.

Had to reinstall for KDE4.0 it was to differant but their was an update route that worked for many users still via the repo. click apply

I have windows boxes but 90% of what I do - gets done on Linux and if its online its linux for sure. If they port a few more games I might not need windows ether. I already have alien arena and a few others on linux.

The desktops are a must -- I can't function well anymore if less then 6.:D

You can have up to 16 desktops - just go into control panel and change it.

I use synaptic to install programs from PClinuxOS repo. no searching and only requires click apply and no rebooting. All programs in the repo have been tested to some extent and you can ask about them. If its not in the repo then provide the info and after its been tested they add it. I found its simple to not ever use out of repo software. Just click apply can't do that in windows they don't have a repo.

Updates are from the repo and no reinstall is required for most new release as its a rolling distro. Just click update apply and it updates not just the OS but every piece of software or program on the system that has an update. Can't do that in windows they don't have a repo of all your install and or available programs.

Had to reinstall for KDE4.0 it was to differant but their was an update route that worked for many users still via the repo. click apply

I have windows boxes but 90% of what I do - gets done on Linux and if its online its linux for sure. If they port a few more games I might not need windows ether. I already have alien arena and a few others on linux.

The desktops are a must -- I can't function well anymore if less then 6.:D

I've found that multiple screens are much better for my sanity than tabbing through multiple desktops; having non-critical programmes (think instant messengers, IRC, etc) aligned vertically on the right screen, a couple of browsers open in the middle screen(again aligned vertically), and finally Evolution and Handbrake on the leftmost is what I usually run.

Repos are the coolest thing ever; only time I've had to even log out was when updating the core components of KDE/Gnome. If I was into e-penis waving even updating your nvidia driver doesn't require a reboot on SuSE (although I've never been able to do it on Ubuntu--have always rebooted into the "safe mode") but rather a simple init 1.

You do know Steam is coming to Linux right? Already been ported to OSX and while the game library can't be called the most graphically intense out there, they still look fairly good and are quality games.

Setting aside windows or mac for a moment, and forget all the window, apple, linux fan boys for a moment the advantages of linux are these at least in my perspective

1. Using a linux live cd without having to install the complete system if you like to test or play with linux

2. Running linux from a usb drive

3. Linux has a mininum of 3 different kind of desktop environments ranging from Xfce, Gnome, Kde, each one of these desktop environments is made and built differently in a way, how so the way they use cpu and ram memory to optimize performace.

4. From beginner to advance power users their's a linux distro for everyone. for the begineer I recommend linux mint instead of ubuntu.

5. The way linux is designed, made, the OS architecture is much better than windows. Windows and its registry are made poorly, I have to run ccleaner every now and then on windows because the registry is full of junk or missing dll or something else. Windows Registry is poorly implemented and poorly designed.

6. Linux never starts you has administer out of the box like windows. if you need permission to do something you'll need to input a password. some might thing this is a bore but this actually helps especially as we all use the internet

7. Out of the box windows does not have basic protocol ports closed or in stealth at least on linux if you did a port scan you'll only see some a few ports open, if your not sure check google search for shield's up and let it do a port scan

8. you really want to see the advantages of using linux try using windows 7 starter and ubuntu netbook remix on a netbook, windows 7 on a netbook is slow and uses resources uneffectively this is not the case with linux. Windows XP runs fine on a netbook but not windows 7 starter

9. Complete application center for applications. and the applications are updated. in this day and age this is very important.

and since ages I am still waiting for some moderately-priced TUITION/classes/courses for LINUX to be held by some individual or by any learning/tuition Centre in Bangkok.....

yes, tought by a human being made from flesh and blood, not just a silly DVD or book, I need someone who I can be pester with Computer-Dummie-questions every few seconds.... (until I finally GOT IT).

the LINUX-books I already own did not reply to any of my questions when I asked them :ermm:

and since ages I am still waiting for some moderately-priced TUITION/classes/courses for LINUX to be held by some individual or by any learning/tuition Centre in Bangkok.....

yes, tought by a human being made from flesh and blood, not just a silly DVD or book, I need someone who I can be pester with Computer-Dummie-questions every few seconds.... (until I finally GOT IT).

the LINUX-books I already own did not reply to any of my questions when I asked them :ermm:

The forum for the distribution you are using is the best source. The forums vary. I have found PClinuxOS is the most user friendly for me and the Ubuntu forum some of the most rude treads. Try to asnwer a Q for yourself first - then when asking you can point out what you have done. Often this results in lots of good help and information. There are also LUGS (linux user groups) which meet and share. I have not been to one I live in the sticks, but find one of those or make one yourself and invite people to meet and share information.

The forum for the distribution you are using is the best source. The forums vary. I have found PClinuxOS is the most user friendly for me and the Ubuntu forum some of the most rude treads. Try to asnwer a Q for yourself first - then when asking you can point out what you have done. Often this results in lots of good help and information. There are also LUGS (linux user groups) which meet and share. I have not been to one I live in the sticks, but find one of those or make one yourself and invite people to meet and share information.

Think n00buntu's forums are bad, try and get on a BSD IRC channel. 1/2 the time nobody will respond and the other 1/2 the answer invariably is RTFM. I believe that stems from Theo de Raadt's personality (where unless he's begging for money you are simply lucky that he's graced your computer with his operating system....).

Gentoo is a bit elitist, and SuSE (from what I've seen--perhaps I'm not looking in the correct area) is populated with more advanced questions. I guess it just goes to so the maturity/target audience of the distro as to the level of 'crap' you get when seeking help.....

You can pm your questions to me....

There are lots of non-silly publications too like http://files.ubuntu-manual.org/manuals/getting-started-with-ubuntu/10.04/en_US/screen/Getting%20Started%20with%20Ubuntu%2010.04.pdf

that you can use...

Martin