Thai Driving License

Yes, it can be used in the UK as long as it's the new type that describes the driver in English also, valid for one year if returning to the UK. On that basis I would imagine it is also valid in the EU also.

Now i'm really confused. One yes and one no. The one I have Chaing Mai has the details in English too so I'm kinda hoping your right.

If it helps you at all I rented a car in the UK last year using my Thai drivers license (I'm a Brit), hopefully others will post knowledge rather than thought to confirm.

My wife's licence is valid in the EU & the US, for short visits, as its a domestic licence, if she stays there longer than 30 days then she can only drive if she has an international licence or one issued by that country/state.

les dennis

i aggree with chiang mai as i also hired a car in england with a thai 5 year licence last year with no problem

the same as chiang mai

re ... australia .... ive no idea .

dave2

post-42592-1272812488_thumb.jpg

Copper in OZ would not accept my Thai license without an IDP.

He was of course wrong, though there is no point in arguing the point.

Visitors can drive using an overseas licence providing the details are in English, which a Thai licence is.

This is from one State, though I understand all the Sates have the same rules

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Assis...tional_drivers/

Does anyone else have knowledge about the US? I have a new driver's license, it's in both English and Thai, so it would seem that an international driver's license, which is just basically a translation of the license, would be unnecessary.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Visitors can drive using an overseas licence providing the details are in English, which a Thai licence is.

So when old mate pulls you for breaking the law and you produce your Thai license and he says meh, need an IDP as well, what exactly would you do ????

FWIW, this has happened to me as well, in both QLD and NSW.

Coming back to the IDP (which is an English translation of your license) Why do I need one as well as my Aussie (English language) license when applying for a Thai license or alternatively using my Aussie license in Thailand ???

Edited by Spoonman

Now i'm really confused. One yes and one no. The one I have Chaing Mai has the details in English too so I'm kinda hoping your right.

Hope on ... while it may be valid in Australia, as it is in the UK, you may well be told you need either a valid (full) UK licence or an International Licence, as you do in some European countries - you will also find that some insurance companies will not insure you and some companies may not rent you a car.

Why not keep it simple and get an International Licence?

Edited by JohnLeech

have had new 5 year cc style license for the past 4 years and have used it to rent cars in Europe and the states. Never any problem. Was once stopped in the us for speeding and i showed him the thai license and he asked for my us one and i told him i dont live in us. He looked at it and told me to slow down.

Edited by phuketrichard

I used my Thai drivers license in the U.S. two years ago to rent a car with no problem.

If you want a definitive answer, why don't you email the Aussie and Brit embassies in BKK and ask them.

What ever the embassy tells you does not mean this is how the police operate, as said above, In Australia its supposed to be ok to drive with just the Thai license, this was not the case with 2 different policeman that pulled me over though.

this is correct. I used mine in the U.S. before renewing my Arizona drivers license. It has to be in English.

You need to apply for an International drivers license in Bangkok, or in Chonburi.

You can drive with the International permit everywhere in Europe, America, Australia, even in Mongolia.

Good for one year. I'll make mine next week, let you know how it was. Had one five years ago, took only a few hours.

You need to apply for an International drivers license in Bangkok, or in Chonburi.

You can drive with the International permit everywhere in Europe, America, Australia, even in Mongolia.

Good for one year. I'll make mine next week, let you know how it was. Had one five years ago, took only a few hours.

I've read that it would be possible to receive an International drivers' license in Chonburi, at the Transportation office. Could anybody confirm that this is still possible? I'm planning to go there in two days, because I'd like to avoid Bangkok, with all the reds. Should anybody go there, I'd be very thankful for the needed information. Thanks in advance.