Big Joe - We Need To Remember

Here’s the link for the promised video (at the bottom). It’s strange how some people can shake you just by their existence. Samui has some of the greatest people in the world; we just may not see them with our dual “be on your tip toe” eyes. Recently I’ve met some gruesomely awesome Thai residents that just blow my mind of how generous, kind and polite people live here – indeed - on our very own island.

My SE story didn’t quite cut the paper so I post it underneath. It’s a surprise to many (me included) how Big Joe lived his past. We all have our past – with and without secrets. Maybe we should wish we could become something closer of what Big Joe was; Open, bighearted, helpful, honest, right-minded... basically so kind you just wanted to take him to your home and place him next to your “buffed upped animal collection”.

Samui farangs might not have felt so heart broken once during their stay here as when we lost Big Joe. It’s a grim remembrance for all of us how life can be lost in glimpse of an eye. It’s been over a month since the incident and the time that we lost him, now it’s time to embrace the Big Man one more time:

Larger Than Life – Big Joe

In Memoriam

Samui Island has something magical in its atmosphere. Countless visitors have gone under its spell after spending just few days around its beaches, bars and sights.

1985 when things were much more relaxed on “the island of tranquil”, Joe and few of his backpacker buddies were working their way to Australia and they came swinging by the island. Joe felt the connection which kept burning until he took his bags and moved in from England – permanently.

Around the corner of Millennium Big Joe was testing and playing with his love – food. Ask anyone who knew Big Joe what was his biggest joy in life and the answer would be food. Therefore he wanted to make this great love to life in to his living.

His first bar-kitchen was located opposite the Laemdin gasoline station. He had a sweat spot for learning Thai language and as there was language school right next door it was very convenient location. Before learning Thai he was already speaking Lao and German.

As his skills grew in the kitchen so did his reputation on the island. By 2001 he was selling to wide variety of restaurants his favorite offerings; Sausages and pastry. During the years his recipes got wider attention around Thailand and currently his food is ordered and delivered around Thailand on daily basis.

During a wet morning of 27th of March his life took a fatal leap as a slippery highway road bridge end sent his van spinning. According to a truck driver witness his van hit towards tree line next to the road where it collided in with deadly consequences.

Funeral on Samui

Samui is full of characters and according to people willing to share a comment about Big Joe – he was the biggest in heart; “He was one of the nicest, honest and generous person I have ever met. This island, if not the world is a sadder place without him.”

Approximately 600 people showed up at the funeral ceremony at Bobhut lights temple area to say their last goodbyes to loved Big Joe. Ceremony lasted an hour during which incents were burned and Buddhist monks were singing mantras and praising him good after life.

From the ceremony area his body was taken few hundred meters on a van to a crematorium while the attending people followed by foot. At the steps of the crematorium people had a chance to take some flowers and drop them in to Big Joes casket. Also many of his favorite items were laid inside the casket next to him.

One of the most awkward moments in a history of any Samui crematorium took place when people noticed that Big Joe’s chest was some centimeters too wide to fit in to the burner. While people fled the heat of the day to celebrate Big Joe’s life in to the Samui Bunge Jump location, closest Big Joes friends remained and solved the problem – eventually.

Big Joe was once a sergeant in the army where he learned to use his commanding voice, he used his powerful hands as a masseuse, he used his people skills when he ran a pub in Nottingham, and he even tried as a stand up comedian but at the end of the day most people remember him who he was when he lived on Samui: The most generous, advice giving, good will spreading big hearted man.

“I went to buy some of his famous pies, he was nice and helpful and boy did he know about his food. I only asked him how to heat up my pies and I got a manual on the procedure. That’s how dedicated and passionate he was about his food.”

Big Joe – Our Friend

Big Joe’s staff has been in shock after such a loss. Recipes however are safe for the future generations. Carsten from Denmark has been under Big Joes wings for a long time and is producing Big Joe products for the more the Northern part of Thailand.

“He told me pretty much every secret of the trade. If I wasn’t at my best wheat flower would fly around when he taught me a lesson to concentrate and follow him closely.”

After the initial distress vanishes, people in charge of Big Joes estate wish that people keep dealing with the business as Joe was there so that his legacy may continue. Big Joe Homade Food Inc. is located at soi Monkey, closer to the Macro entry point.

{Latest that was posted, name was changed for legal reasons but location remains}

Video is under this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NNDbae9FKY { sorry about the quality but YT was not allowing to upload it in better form}

If you feel like crying when you watch the video and remember the last chat with him, don’t hide your emotions as HE was well worth some of our tiers.

As an idea you might want to respectfully donate to the Samui Rescue or Tourist Police just to look after our island...

i was under the impression from Joe he started off in BKK and Pattaya, i can tell you for a fact his heart was in Pattaya as are a lot of his old friends. cant visulise Joeas a 35 year old back packer. what van. whats teirs i shed lots of TEARS. sorry cannot relate to the guy i new for 8 years to any of what you have written, as for respectful donations to the tourist police well anybody who new Joe will tell you what that answer would have been. Joe moved away from Pattaya to Samui for a reason and it was not because he came across a tranquil island 25 years ago. is it not now called Samui Home Made Foods, there is no legacy to Joe in that name. not being picky but dont like the journolistic licence used in your thread with so many inaccuracies about my friend. learnt to speak Thai at language school next door !!!!!!!!!!!!! where do you think he learnt to speak Laos. i cant make out what hit towards tree line means either.

Sorry you are not talking about the man i knew and far to many inaccuracies in what you have written.

i was under the impression from Joe he started off in BKK and Pattaya, i can tell you for a fact his heart was in Pattaya as are a lot of his old friends. cant visulise Joeas a 35 year old back packer. what van. whats teirs i shed lots of TEARS. sorry cannot relate to the guy i new for 8 years to any of what you have written, as for respectful donations to the tourist police well anybody who new Joe will tell you what that answer would have been. Joe moved away from Pattaya to Samui for a reason and it was not because he came across a tranquil island 25 years ago. is it not now called Samui Home Made Foods, there is no legacy to Joe in that name. not being picky but dont like the journolistic licence used in your thread with so many inaccuracies about my friend. learnt to speak Thai at language school next door !!!!!!!!!!!!! where do you think he learnt to speak Laos. i cant make out what hit towards tree line means either.

Sorry you are not talking about the man i knew and far to many inaccuracies in what you have written.

I bet ones history is not always the thing people pick and discuss over beers. I knew little about his past but received emails and spoke personally to some of his friends from the past. I just don't see any reason why they would fabricate or throw up "stuff". Personally I met him first time on a trip 2001 and at the time he had his business running at the mentioned location in Samui. We shared a train cabin and shared his sausage sandwiches, Big Joe told his favorite location to stay in Bangkok and thoughts about living in Samui. I would have no reason to tell anything more or less that I gathered by looking in to his life. I'm sorry if you feel that you've missed something but under the circumstances I can say only that people have their "secrets" that are not necessarily widely spoken. Surely personally I didn't add anything to the story.

what you on about talk about ones history over beer, you printed and its not accurate.

just look under your first post advert, Samui home made foods, where is Big Joes home made food on the island, you did not even get that right and its in front of you.

Teirs???? you could not even proof read your article before pubishing it. many other errors your wording. island tranquil???

So you are saying he never lived in Pattaya, because he told me he did, not sure who i should beleive on that one, are you?

if you care to come to Pattaya you can see pictures of big Joe when he wasnt Big Joe, but normal sized Joe.

did Joe really stumle across Samui as a back packer???

suggest you do a bit more research, contact Phil at Phils gaff, ban talay condo Jontiem, ring directory enquiries. he was with Joe over 20 years ago.

i could go on but what you have written is a pile of rubbish, unless he changed vehicles after he left here he was not driving a van back to Samui.

you suggest we respectfully donate to the Thai Tourist police who take care of our island, that would have made him urinate him self with laughter.

English is obviously not not your first language, no problem, but you could at least have got it proof written first, respectfully.

respectfully i think we can make our own minds up where to donate, i donated 2500 baht to the bar where Joe spent one of his last nights, 25 lady drinks in one of his favourite drinking holes which he would of approved of.

one thing you can check on, all the girls upon heraing of his death in the bar asked the number of his car, so as to use it on the lottery as mark respect and luck, if i remember rightly was 517 which i am told was a winner on the 1st of April draw.

which paper do you work for again, Samui Express wasnt it.

sorry Roo but if the guy wants to write about Joe he should have done proper reasearch.

what you on about talk about ones history over beer, you printed and its not accurate.

just look under your first post advert, Samui home made foods, where is Big Joes home made food on the island, you did not even get that right and its in front of you.

Teirs???? you could not even proof read your article before pubishing it. many other errors your wording. island tranquil???

So you are saying he never lived in Pattaya, because he told me he did, not sure who i should beleive on that one, are you?

if you care to come to Pattaya you can see pictures of big Joe when he wasnt Big Joe, but normal sized Joe.

suggest you do a bit more research, contact Phil at Phils gaff, ban talay condo Jontiem, ring directory enquiries. he was with Joe over 20 years ago.

i could go on but what you have written is a pile of rubbish, unless he changed vehicles after he left here he was not driving a van back to Samui.

you suggest we respectfully donate to the Thai Tourist police who take care of our island, that would have made him urinate him self with laughter.

English is obviously not not your first language, no problem, but you could at least have got it proof written first, respectfully.

respectfully i think we can make our own minds up where to donate, i donated 2500 baht to the bar where Joe spent one of his last nights, 25 lady drinks in one of his favourite drinking holes which he would of approved of.

one thing you can check on, all the girls upon heraing of his death in the bar asked the number of his car, so as to use it on the lottery as mark respect and luck, if i remember rightly was 517 which i am told was a winner on the 1st of April draw.

sorry Roo but if the guy wants to write about Joe he should have done proper reasearch.

I surely do wish English is not your first language. Made the story and did spend time editing the video. If that and the information I gathered don't please you, sorry for that. You could have informed me at the time when I requested stories about Joe. Tourist police has nothing to with Joe, it's just my recommendation as is Samui Rescue as these guys volunteer around the island to make this place better place. This is what I think Big Joe was doing.

I surely do wish English is not your first language. Made the story and did spend time editing the video. If that and the information I gathered don't please you, sorry for that. You could have informed me at the time when I requested stories about Joe. Tourist police has nothing to with Joe, it's just my recommendation as is Samui Rescue as these guys volunteer around the island to make this place better place. This is what I think Big Joe was doing.

why don't you2 have a sit down and work out all the facts. can all be done allot more easier. looks like 1 person has alll the information and the other is willing to promote it. so u could help each other. anyway staying away from this 1. little to sensitve subject for me. thats my 2 pence worth,. and i ain't give that to the TP lol. they look rich enough already. all there cars look pretty new plus don't really think they help anyone much think they are in the game for personal gain but that is another story as i cannot prove that yet

are you going to print your story in a Newspaper if so which one, "made the story" could not have put it better myself.

personally i think he should be left to RIP and not have some jounolist go around asking qustions about his past.

Edited by NALAK

are you going to print your story in a Newspaper if so which one, "made the story" could not have put it better myself.

personally i think he should be left to RIP and not have some jounolist go around asking qustions about his past.

i should really minde my own business but just out of interest who is the new owner of Big Joe's. As for journolists. If have my own opimons on those. only through my own bad experience. Any best of luck all !

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (NALAK @ 2010-05-04 11:36:56) QUOTE (SamuiDude @ 2010-05-04 01:17:11) QUOTE (NALAK @ 2010-05-03 23:09:16) what you on about talk about ones history over beer, you printed and its not accurate.

i should really minde my own business but just out of interest who is the new owner of Big Joe's. As for journolists. If have my own opimons on those. only through my own bad experience. Any best of luck all !

[/quote

Sorry for not noticing to reply earlier. "Made the story" is kind of like wrote it instead of made up story which you're [referring ] - pointing. My story was never nowhere but here which makes it Thaivisa talk. Video is what I edited in quick motion from the footage I got. I love the song and hope eventually when my day comes that song plays.

HD LINK of the burial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgea58iYc6c

Other than that, I really don't know anything more to say but respects to Big Joe once again.

I only met Joe a handful of times and was saddened to hear of his passing. Have to agree with much of what NALAK has said regarding the youtube thing.

Really I think it would be better if this thread was closed and Joe's real friends be left to remember him in our own way and time.

Honestly to criticise his lifestyle now is just despicable. Just let it go.

discusting post let me remember my friend as i new him. have you never heard of RIP and speaking ill of the dead. whats your source for such an ofensive statement. reported and hopefuly removed and thread closed.