Driving To Langkawi

CGW

Thinking of driving to Langkawi via Saturn, then the ferry across, anyone attempted this epic journey? Is any special paperwork needed for customs or border crossings, about how long would it take? no intention of doing it in one day, any where good to stop off? any info appreciated. The other option is off course to fly....

To go with your vehicle to Malaysia you need an international driver's licence and an insurance for the vehicle valid for Malaysia, which you can easily do at the border of Dannok, near Hat Yai. I went from Langkawi to Satun but the ferry didn't carry cars. I am not sure if there is a ferry that carry cars.

As for where to stop, southern Thailand is wonderful. I strongly recommend the coast near Pathio just northern Chumphon

Enjoy your trip.

no need to cross into Malaysia, get the ferry from Saturn. I believe there is a car ferry from Malaysia, a night time one but passengers are not allowed on board, they just take cars over. It is easier to rent a car on langkawi and I have managed to get them for 50 rm per day (roughly 500 baht)

Thanks Brunus ^ Tony great info, is there car parking at the ferry terminal?

Sounds like a great trip, but i would say its 2 good days driving to get too & from Satun from Pattaya?

By the time you take fuel into account & a night or 2 in a reasonable hotel en-route, food etc, probably work out just as cheap too fly?

Ferry timetable:

http://www.langkawi-ferry.com/schedule.html#satun

I think Air Asia use to fly direct from Bkk, but think you now have to go via KL or Phuket?

If you can't take the car across from Satun seems to be defeating the object.

Sorry to be so negative, but does sound like a great trip if you do it!!

Maybe you could also recomend some nice reasonble priced hotels in Langkawi if you do go?

good luck.

Edited by dickie58

I have driven Phuket->Satun many times, then take ferry to Langkawi. Ferry is passengers only, very good re maintenance and keeping to schedule. Good secure car parking at the ferry, usually only a few vehicles there. Car ferry to Langkawi is available from Klang, long way down the coast. The route from Trang south to Satun has some tricky turns, so need to be careful re the directions. Also several stretches of lower-quality road; this more toward the Satun end.

car parking is available at the ferry in satun.

As someone else mentioned (and what I normally do) is to fly to Hat Yai and get the minibus from the airport directly to the ferry at Satun, then when I get off the boat at Langkawi I hire a car from the ferry terminal, as I said you can normally get a small car for 50 rm a day if you ask around, another option is to head to the airport where there is also car hire available. The car ferry from Klang is a none starter as Klang is near KL, 9 hour drive into Malaysia, I always thought it went from nearer to langkawi such as Alor Setar.

Air asia started a flight a couple of years ago from bangkok direct to langkawi then stopped it, I don't think it was used much, another option is to fly to penang and there is a ferry from there also.

never went on a road trip to Langkawi before but went on one a few years back to Phuket, i stopped at Ranong to enjoy the hot springs for one night before continuing my journey, but on the way back was horrendous 10 hrs on the road.

Did that trip from patong with Motobike and car.

Slept a night in satun than with the passenger only ferry to langkawi in the next morning. From Phuket worth the ride.

From pattaya its a lot farer and the flight option is early booked-cheap price Air Asia a alternative, but it depends what you like.

maybe you like look than also other things on the way, Ranong-Kao Lak-Phuket-Krabi, many possibilitys.

Parking the car on the ferry terminal without a problem.

Langkawi beautiful.

have a nice ride.