Google

Tywais

I'm designing a new website for our research facility and wish to embed a Google Map showing how to get to it. I've done this a long time ago but now can't seem to get it to work. The embedding isn't the issue, it's using the Map Editor to add the place of interest and the path. Whenever I set everything up and click at the location I get the following message: "No valid address generated or entered. Please correct errors and submit again or cancel". Note screen snapshot. I've tried it in IE and FF and checked over the Google Help with no luck getting it working.

Google help says this:

1. Click the Marker tool icon Placemark tool .

2. Select the type of place from the drop-down menu. (You can start typing to find an appropriate choice.);

3. Click the appropriate location on the map.

4. Edit the attributes in the left panel.

As for #4 I see no attributes in the left panel. Actually the above says Placemark Tool while the editor only shows "Add A Point". What am I missing?

post-566-1273059618_thumb.jpg

Yep, Thailand isn't on the list. I know I've created a map a long time ago where I could place my personal markers on it but can't figure out how I did it. You know, like the ones you see in Thailand business such as Hotels, Hospitals location information. Some are active google maps that are embedded on their page with their markers.

Guess will keep looking around, just remembered it was easier then this. Believe Maestro has done it flagging immigration offices and will ask him.

Hm. Not sure why, but I tried again and now it seems to work.

Just went to Google Maps, logged in, clicked My Maps, then selected my previously created map and clicked edit. I could then add placemarks and add a description.

Still not sure if this is what you want and how to share this map embedded on your webpage. But it's definitely a progress from before when we obviously tried to edit Google's data which is not allowed and results in said error message (and that's what I actually wanted to say with my last comment).

EDIT: Played around more and it seems to work now. Added a bunch of stuff, then clicked on 'link', then 'Customize and preview embedded map'. Set the size of the map, zoomed and panned the map to get the desired view, and copied the code for the iframe into a html file.

Tested with a different browser to make sure that the placemarks also show up for other users than myself.

Cheers,

welo

Edited by welo

Don't know what happened but I just went back and followed the same steps on my personal map that I did yesterday before I tried Map Maker and now it works. Have the embedded code already saved and tested. The thing is, I have already written the embedded map using Google's Map API and javascript and works fine. However, a lot more work then the method we just tried.

Thanks for the above because without your post I may not have tried it again. :)

Glad I could help.

Out of curiosity I checked again if this might be a bug in Google maps.

But I think it is not, it is two different modes - one that allows you to create your own map and edit ('My Maps' -> Edit), the other to edit the public map data. Starting from a certain zoom level the interface will show an 'Edit' link next to the 'Print', 'Send', and 'Link' links at the top right corner, but only if any of the countries showing within the map area are 'editable'.

Could paste screenshots here but I'm too lazy :)

welo