Asok - Why Is Asok The Desired Place For Farang To Live?

I have lived on Soi 1 for the past year and I'm looking to get a bigger apartment with a better view. I keep on seeing apartments listed near Asok which almost always higher than most other parts of Bangkok.

A year of living in Bangkok and I've went to Asok area less than 5 times and I'm wondering what's so special about it and why housing costs are more expensive there?

If anyone has any inside info about 1-2 br nice apartments for around 20k baht around BTS send me a message.

Cheers,

Personally, I think one of the most "special" things about Asoke is the traffic. It's gridlocked there much of the time during the week, and there's only one way in or out. If you have a car and plan on using it, I wouldn't choose Asoke over other locations.

Foreigners live in many locations. Asoke is somewhat of a cheaper place to buy property than the nice areas like Lang-suan, Sukhumvit 11, Thonglor or Soi's 8&10. I don't think many people thought about Asoke until the low end developer LPN stuck up their mega structure 4-5 years ago. I guess other developers have followed. I don't like the area myself. A cancer causing area I suspect with 15hrs a day traffic gridlock. Noisy too.

I lived in Asok for 3 years during my expat position namely due to;

distance favorable to office, train Asok interchange hub on MRT and BTS, close proximity to Tesco (Rama4), Emporium department, Robinson department, McDonalds/KFC, Tollway entrance, 5 star hotels on Sukhumvit (corporate meetings, friends),

close proximity to night entertainment spots, such as Hard Rock Cafe, Soi Cowboy (if interested), Nana Plaza (if interested), Thong Lor, etc.

* the cons are; heavy traffic, bad air quality (on streets), heavily populated.

nice areas like...Sukhumvit 11

suk . 11 soi 11 "nice" ? when was the last time u were there ?

asoke is ok . i mean cowboy's right there right ? and then it's got srinakharin university too so that means uni girls. and that new building on the corner (interchange) has convenient walkthrus (not to mention a dunkin donut) .

it would probably be my 2nd place to live in bkk

Thanks for all the info, so I guess Asok isn't really a desirable place to live unless the office is right there. I actually like living on Soi 1 which I think is a great location I would just like a larger space...

Can anyone tell me about Thong Lor 25? There are large townhouses there for relatively low prices...

Thanks

Thanks for all the info, so I guess Asok isn't really a desirable place to live unless the office is right there. I actually like living on Soi 1 which I think is a great location I would just like a larger space...

Can anyone tell me about Thong Lor 25? There are large townhouses there for relatively low prices...

Thanks

Capt, you do know there is a whole forum "Accommodation Finding Forum" on here?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

how many m2 and how much? how much land?

I wouldnt consider ever buying/renting an Asoke apartment (again) as long as my bottom points to the ground....I have had it with that area ......shocking air quality, noisy 24/7...traffic gridlocked most of the day....and the best part of the night.....I had a two bedroom apartment 17th floor 1km up Soi 21 from the Asoke BTS 35k a month (overpriced)...My apartment was not street frontage but in fact 8 back from the street on the 17th floor...the traffic noise became overpowering...along with the parking warden 1 block down who started up his whistle at 6am in the morning and finished at about 7pm at night including weekends....he's still there doing the same

The area is devoid of convenience stores, restaurants, and taxis seem hel_l bent on not picking you up from about 3pm in the afternoon until 8pm at night.. the footpaths are so bloody atrociously maintained that you run the risk of a snapped ankle or worse. Its an area full of office blocks with the odd apartment building scattered amongst them....for some unexplained reason the rents there are very high...I have no idea why...there are far better places to rent/buy an apartment than Asoke for sure and alot cheaper