Food In Big C ( Surin )

kunash

I miss drinking tea when i am in Thailand, so i will be bringing with me some PG tips tea.  hope i can bring it through customs or wont i be allowed?  I havent really looked that hard to actually see what big c sells. Would i be able to find tinned custard ( english custard ), or rice pudding.  ??  would i be able to find chicken oxo cubes?  or flour?  :)  or (ground) black pepper?  or baked beans?

Would i be able to find tinned custard ( english custard ), or rice pudding. ?? would i be able to find chicken oxo cubes? or flour? :) or (ground) black pepper? or baked beans?

Tinned custard NO.

Rice pudding NO

Chicken cubes Yes

Baked bean Yes.

Black peper Yes. :D

Check Tesco and Makro. Remember this is Surin (home of the BBQ RAT) not England. Load up at home or Bangkok. We do have some excellent local suppliers of food stuff in Surin that the farangs deal with. They either make their wares that they sell or import from Bangkok or Pattaya.

Edited by gotlost

Tesco Lotus are doing their own brand Premium Tea bags - very nice! Not unlike PG tips or Yorkshire tea bags. The packaging is a plain cardboard box. Tesco also do their own brand non-premium tea bags - not the same and like dish water. :)

I recommend BROOK or McGARRETT baked beans as passable substitutes for Heinz.

Makro sell these + custard powder + blacker pepper.

Not seen rice pudding anywhere ?

Are you talking about Surin Makro, Ray??

I think not.

Tesco Lotus are doing their own brand Premium Tea bags - very nice! Not unlike PG tips or Yorkshire tea bags. The packaging is a plain cardboard box. Tesco also do their own brand non-premium tea bags - not the same and like dish water. :)

I second this one. The box is I guess made from pressed recycled cardboard and they are surprisingly good. They are the ONLY worthwhile teabags i can find in Thailand; I am not a big fan of Liptons. I hope sharing this doesn't mean Tescos everywhere will now sell out. The last time I bought a box from Tesco in Chiang Mai it was the last one...

Never mind... I just received 160 Yorkshire Tea bags through the post. Mum, you are a hero!

Yorkshire Tea - the best tea in the word, bar none, although very clearly not grown anywhere near to Yorkshire! :D

I recommend BROOK or McGARRETT baked beans as passable substitutes for Heinz.

Makro sell these + custard powder + blacker pepper.

Not seen rice pudding anywhere ?

Are you talking about Surin Makro, Ray??

I think not.

I think I can answer on behalf of Ray.

It was I that introduced him to Brook baked beans and these along with everything else are available at Surin Makro. Beans not available however in Buriram Makro.

:D Rice pudding in tins?? in the land of rice...c'mon man!

BASIC

RICE

MILK

SUGAR

CINNAMON OR NUTMEG FOR SEASONING

IN OVEN ALL TOGETHER,SWEETNESS TO TASTE,MILK OR CREAM JUST COVERING THE RICE,1 HOUR.....HOMEMADE RICE PUDDING

LUXURY

RICE

MILK

COCONUT MILK/CREAM

SUGAR

SPICE FOR NICE

BANANAS

AS ABOVE ALL IN A DISH 1 HOUR DELISH! :)

:D Rice pudding in tins?? in the land of rice...c'mon man!

BASIC

RICE

MILK

SUGAR

CINNAMON OR NUTMEG FOR SEASONING

IN OVEN ALL TOGETHER,SWEETNESS TO TASTE,MILK OR CREAM JUST COVERING THE RICE,1 HOUR.....HOMEMADE RICE PUDDING

LUXURY

RICE

MILK

COCONUT MILK/CREAM

SUGAR

SPICE FOR NICE

BANANAS

AS ABOVE ALL IN A DISH 1 HOUR DELISH! :)

Entirely agree, but you need "pudding rice". is this what is known here as sticky rice?

Yes Nick sticky rice works better and has more sugar content or so i am told,but i have used ordinary saffron rice...Ordinary?? lol....and if cooked a bit longer and the extra sugar is added even palm sugar juice can be used it is just as good.

Look how many rice sweets the Thais do,and the kids love the rice puddin although i have found like all things for them better cold!!

You can do so much making puddings here due to the vast array of fruits,it is my downfall lol