Sending Money To Thailand

What is the best way to get good rates of exchange on your money when you want to send cash to Thailand.

I am buying a car and want to get the best value out of my £10,000. I'm with RBS and they're offering 67 baht to the pound. At the moment Yahoo is showing that there are 73 baht to the pound. That's quite a difference with 10 grand.

Just brought out a chunk of Baht with priority payment from HSBC and they gave me a rate of 72.4

From account in the UK to arriving in the village bank takes three or four working days.

Edited by aletta

Just brought out a chunk of Baht with priority payment from HSBC and they gave me a rate of 72.4

From account in the UK to arriving in the village bank takes three or four working days.

That was the rate I got at the RBS, the paperwork came through yesterday - the teller gave me the wrong information.

Looks like I'm stuck transferring with the bank then, thanks for eveyone's input.

How much did they charge you in fees?

Which Thai bank offers the best rate for exchanging sterling to Baht in Thailand? Is it better to actually exchange in Uk or Thailand?

What is the best way to get good rates of exchange on your money when you want to send cash to Thailand.

I am buying a car and want to get the best value out of my £10,000.  I'm with RBS and they're offering 67 baht to the pound.  At the moment Yahoo is showing that there are 73 baht to the pound.  That's quite a difference with 10 grand.

why not take it in 50 pound notes stuffed in your Y Fronts ?

then you get the good rate , hand them to the cashier nice and warm :o

Which Thai bank offers the best rate for exchanging sterling to Baht in Thailand? Is it better to actually exchange in Uk or Thailand?

There tends not to be too much difference between the exchange rates offered by the different banks. However, you can sometimes get somewhat better rates at certain exchange offices.

Without doubt you get a far better rate exchanging your money in Thailand as oposed to in the UK.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

There tends not to be too much difference between the exchange rates offered by the different banks. However, you can sometimes get somewhat better rates at certain exchange offices.

Without doubt you get a far better rate exchanging your money in Thailand as oposed to in the UK.

Sophon

At the moment the best rate for baht I can find is with marks and spencers @ 71.0, with the Bangkok bank it runs at abotu 75.0. so it can make a difference when exchanging a lot. which bank would you recomend which is close to Sukhumvit?

How much did they charge you in fees?

For express (3 working days) it's £25, and £20 for between 5 to 10 days - I had to get the money over in a hurry so I used express, but usually I just use the standard.

I'm moving to Thailand at the end of the year, and would love to change cash over here - but it's not really practical to carry the amount I want to take. :o

Currency exchange brokers can offer good rates and my provide the transfer free of charge. with them you can specify the rate you would like to buy at - it is just a question of waiting till your target price is met.

If you want some further info let me know...

Cheers

PS usually transfers this way are for larger amounts

It is worthwhile comparing prices between sterling to thai banks and other ways. if you find out where the thai banks publish ther sterling conversion rates, please share this. Also bear in mind that some swift transfers may be via an intermediary and they will take their slice...

rates are improving now - interbank is nearly 74 bt to 1 gbp now

Edited by Khun Bob

For express (3 working days) it's £25, and £20 for between 5 to 10 days - I had to get the money over in a hurry so I used express, but usually I just use the standard.

I'm moving to Thailand at the end of the year, and would love to change cash over here  - but it's not really practical to carry the amount I want to take. :o

what about travelling checks - normallythey are safer to carry than cahs and get much better exchange rate too ? and as I recall - there was no limits on amount (although as was discussed many times around here - neither is limt for bringing in cash - only for taking out)