Budget Travel Around Thailand

Hi a friend and I are planning on travelling to Thailand she will be here for about 6 weeks and I plan to stay for about 3 months, we are on a budget about £1800 I was thinking of a couple of nights in BKK and then overnight train to ko samui (maenam) can people make suggestions on budget accomidation in BKK and on Samui don't mind small bungalow or house whichever is most cost effective, I was thinking about 500 - 600 baht a day for food eating at thai stalls, I would also like to rent a scooter for the 6 weeks anyone know who has the best deals on the island.

we don't plan on going out partying in the evenings all the time and I have been told you can get cheap beer in the 7 11 what kind of budget have people managed on before thanks in advance

JB

M8 your cutting it very thin there, please be aware that thailand is not as cheap as some people make out! not trying to scare you but make sure you research it well if thats all you have :)

About 600.- Baht a day?

No problem when you have an open or changeable airline ticket. So when the money runs out and nothing can be brought in from Europe again, than you just fly home.

I for one am never happy when peep's dont give me a full idea of thing's I ask for. I think you should work out your cost's. 1. hotel about 500bt, 2. food 400. eating Thai stall's only. 3. M/C 250. a day with fuel. 4. beer. 60bt for one at 7/11. water and you'll need load's, 5. going out to the odd bar ???? I could go on & on, you add it up and you have less than 1000 bt a day. And that's without any traveling cost's.

Food 400 baht a day?

You will be able to eat 3 thai meals for 100 baht a day no problem

If your looking for cheap places to stay i would suggest chang mai/chang rai and kanachuburi

Not beach places but a lot cheaper than samui on all fronts

I used to live for 6 years in Samui now living in BKK, however i hope its 1800 pound per person, otherwise (if 1800 for 2ppl) it is like Alfredo said 600 baht per day, incl travel and accomodation!!?! It is going to be survival mode :)

You got cheap n reasonable clean accomodation for about 350/500baht in BKK and Samui however the location will suck or wont be as good and lower then 350/500baht it will completely suck, so you will loose money on transporting urself (taxi/rented bike) and besides being inconvient.

I recommend u rent a cheap house/appartement/bangalow you can get a nice one for about 4000-8000 baht a month.

Then you say you want to rent a motocycle bike, a descent with insurrance etc will be about 200 baht per day(already good deal), or a crappy non-automatic one is about 150 baht. Food you can eat in BKK or Samui for about 30-70 baht a dish/meal at local stall (keep in mind thai portion).

Traveling in BKK via Taxi (as you can't really take a bus, as you can't read thai) will run u prob about 100-200 baht a day (the skytrain or MRT only run in certain sections and wud cost you about 30-50 per person 1 way)

Traveling from BKK to Samui by BUS, would take 10-12 hours, incl ferry is about 700-1000baht per person (depending on the bus company). Plane you can forget it it's about 3500-5000+ per person.

So if you calculate it according to the pretty reasonable rates given above, it is VERY VERY hard... for me impossible :D . thailand isn't that cheap as it may appear. Also keep in mind you need to keep some pocket money to do stuff, I mean what wud be the use if you don't have money left to enjoy partying or entrance fee to certain touristical attraction or eating somewhere nice, and of course unexpected expenses. I would recommmend 1000-1500 baht per day minimum.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck!

Might also want to consider Phuket. You could stay in Patong which has a ton of night life and easy access to tours, and get a small furnished studio apartment including cable TV and Internet for 6,000 baht/mo. The only problem I see is finding someone who will take only a 3 month lease, but you should be able to do it.

No matter where you stay, you'll want to try to find long term accommodation. Same goes for renting a motorbike. If you rent at a tourist place that does it by the day you'll be paying a lot more than if you rent on a per month basis from a place that rents to locals and long term residents. My wife thinks you should be able to get a scooter for 3,000-4,000 baht/mo.

You'll want to befriend a Thai person fairly early on, and use them to help you find these places, as well as checking out any expat sited dedicated to where you want to stay or befriending a long-term expat at a pub.

Another thing to realize about Thailand, is that it is normal for there to be two prices for everyone. One for Thai's, and one for Farang. The price for Farang can often be 2-3x the Thai price. This is for everything from park admission, to rent, to the local food booth. So it helps to have a Thai who can act as surrogate when trying to negotiate things, and don't get mad if you find out they're jacking the price up because you aren't Thai. Just move on and try to find whatever it is from another vendor.

Might also want to consider Phuket. You could stay in Patong which has a ton of night life and easy access to tours, and get a small furnished studio apartment including cable TV and Internet for 6,000 baht/mo. The only problem I see is finding someone who will take only a 3 month lease, but you should be able to do it.

No matter where you stay, you'll want to try to find long term accommodation. Same goes for renting a motorbike. If you rent at a tourist place that does it by the day you'll be paying a lot more than if you rent on a per month basis from a place that rents to locals and long term residents. My wife thinks you should be able to get a scooter for 3,000-4,000 baht/mo.

You'll want to befriend a Thai person fairly early on, and use them to help you find these places, as well as checking out any expat sited dedicated to where you want to stay or befriending a long-term expat at a pub.

Another thing to realize about Thailand, is that it is normal for there to be two prices for everyone. One for Thai's, and one for Farang. The price for Farang can often be 2-3x the Thai price. This is for everything from park admission, to rent, to the local food booth. So it helps to have a Thai who can act as surrogate when trying to negotiate things, and don't get mad if you find out they're jacking the price up because you aren't Thai. Just move on and try to find whatever it is from another vendor.

go to koh samet island its 2 hours by car from BKK. u can get cheap beach food and accomodation. if u need further help re samet let me know cheers mark

It's possible to go even much more cheaper, if you take local buses, eat at local street restaurants and stay at guest houses or simple rooms without any comfort in the back. Partying is not on the menu.

Beer at local supermarkets and 7/11s is cheaper, but there is no party, except you make one. For real partying at places like Samui calculate 1.000 per night and person without the usual entourage.

I for one am never happy when peep's dont give me a full idea of thing's I ask for. I think you should work out your cost's. 1. hotel about 500bt, 2. food 400. eating Thai stall's only. 3. M/C 250. a day with fuel. 4. beer. 60bt for one at 7/11. water and you'll need load's, 5. going out to the odd bar ???? I could go on & on, you add it up and you have less than 1000 bt a day. And that's without any traveling cost's.

since when is a beer 60 bht in 7/11 id say more like 25 to 30 bht if 1800 is just for 6 weeks you will have no problems i have travelled thailnd for 6 months before my spending was about 1000 gbp per month this was averaging 400 bht accomodation and drinking quite alot

He has got plenty of money if he is careful,i dont understand all the people with negative repsonses to his post.

You can get cheap digs if you look around and are flexible in your standards of quality.

You can eat for less than 100 bt a day if your attitude is eat to live and just eat as the Thais do,goin native.

You can get off your face for as little as 100 bt also if you want to!

You can get a bus or a train anywhere in Thailand for a pittance compared to the west.

And you can have a good time on next to nothing if you are a character and interesting to others.

The one point that is true is Samui is more expensve but i am sure that if you get about and look you can find laces in your budget,try issan for a different slant on Thailand a bit more realistic and cheaper..go for it!

Compared to when i first came to Thailand u are millionaires lol.

He has got plenty of money if he is careful,i dont understand all the people with negative repsonses to his post.

You can get cheap digs if you look around and are flexible in your standards of quality.

You can eat for less than 100 bt a day if your attitude is eat to live and just eat as the Thais do,goin native.

You can get a bus or a train anywhere in Thailand for a pittance compared to the west.

And you can have a good time on next to nothing if you are a character and interesting to others.

The one point that is true is Samui is more expensve but i am sure that if you get about and look you can find laces in your budget,try issan for a different slant on Thailand a bit more realistic and cheaper..go for it!

what about all the Hostels in Thailand? safe,cheap,comfortable.

Beer prices and taxes have been going up here in Happy Land...

At 7/11 these days, at least around BKK, the regular size cans of Heinekin, Asahi, etc are going for around 38 baht, while the regular size bottles are in the 40-something baht figures. Leo cans are probably low 30s. And so on and so forth... For a real treat, someone should have suggested the OP confine his beer drinking to Archa... :)

since when is a beer 60 bht in 7/11 id say more like 25 to 30 bht

At 7/11 these days, at least around BKK, the regular size cans of Heinekin, Asahi, etc are going for around 38 baht, while the regular size bottles are in the 40-something baht figures. Leo cans are probably low 30s. And so on and so forth... For a real treat, someone should have suggested the OP confine his beer drinking to Archa... :)

No problem on that vast fortune.

#1) learn to drink lao khao (Thai moonshine){if you must indulge at all that is} Beer is what millionaire folung drink; expensive. Dont touch it.

#2)find any Thai Village early in your trip. No Thai no prob; you will learn, buy dictionary Eng Thai/Thai Eng

#3)Rent monthly accomadation once settled in ask Thai local villager to rent his/her motorcycle. Youll get a better than Travel agent "guided tour in the 2000Baht a month rent on grannys honda 100. & language lessons of sorts.

Much more interesting, fun, & educational than the trips all the big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ blowhards get. Resorts?? Guided tours... I would rather stay home & rent the video.....

Tongdee

Thanks I am not a huge party person, so not going out every night is no big deal, I am fine with eating local food, I was hoping to get some tips on places to stay rather than lots of people telling me to be cartefull I appretiate the input based on my sinple budget I have about 1800 for 3 months and my friend has about 500 for 5 weeks I am not looing to stay in a plush pad as long as it is clean and secure.

Are there nice places to saty on the mainland with decent beaches and budget accomidation?

cheers

J

Your confused. Samui is not Thailand.

However, if your looking for cheap travel tips try the lp site thorntree....but I think you will find most of 'em avoid Samui. It was a wonderful place...........until they built an airport there :)

Thanks I am not a huge party person, so not going out every night is no big deal, I am fine with eating local food, I was hoping to get some tips on places to stay rather than lots of people telling me to be cartefull I appretiate the input based on my sinple budget I have about 1800 for 3 months and my friend has about 500 for 5 weeks I am not looing to stay in a plush pad as long as it is clean and secure.

Are there nice places to saty on the mainland with decent beaches and budget accomidation?

cheers

J

I think you'll have to be a "don't eat kind of person" on that budget.

As for your mate, £500 for 5 weeks...has he checked the exchange rate lately? :)

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

cheers

J

I think you'll have to be a "don't eat kind of person" on that budget.

As for your mate, £500 for 5 weeks...has he checked the exchange rate lately? :)

RAZZ

I could live like a King on your budget, unfortunately it wouldn't be on Samui. You want tips but you gave yourself away on "...are there any decent beaches on the mainland etc" For Gods sake, do some general research THEN come here and ask for pointers. Have to ask...why Samui ? Its the type of place that people on a limited budget avoid(my budget ain't limited but I avoid it in the same way I avoid Benidorm). You know Ko Phangan is only 20 mins away and maybe more your scene ? Really think you would be better off doing a search on Thorntree.

I could live like a King on your budget, unfortunately it wouldn't be on Samui.

£500 = approximately 24,000 baht. Divided by 35 days is 685, call it 700 baht...a day.

Live like a King? Mmm....I don't think so :)

RAZZ

I could live like a King on your budget, unfortunately it wouldn't be on Samui.

£500 = approximately 24,000 baht. Divided by 35 days is 685, call it 700 baht...a day.

Live like a King? Mmm....I don't think so :D

RAZZ

Yeah Razz, know where your coming from, figure of speech.,even in Issan.....I just don't take it seriously. Always happy to help people but a bit of basic research helps. If not then I can recommend Sisaket beach or even the one in Udon and Buriram has white sands to die for..... :)

500 for 5 weeks hey your friend best save some more money no point coming to the country on that budget okay can sit on beach for few weeks and spend no money you will get bored with that plus rain comes soon so not possible everyday ,too many people travel on tight budget and cannot see the country and get out to all the beautiful places due to lack off funds either save more money or travel for shorter time you dont want to be here worrying about every baht you do or dont spend thats what you do in your home country your supposed to be on holiday enjoying and relaxing not worrying......................