4th July Independence Day Celebration

jarhead50200

Parking: It was pretty easy to park just outside the stadium last time - no more than a five minute walk and you'll probably welcome the exercise after the buffet...

Thank you GS for your reply. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt know that there was a VFW here. Can you send me the info on membership. I wont be able to make the party. The wife is having a baby and travel will be limited.

Hi PhilB

Go to our main website: vfw-chiangmai.org

Send me a PM if I can help with anything, Brother.

Ken/Dustoff

Webmaster

Chiang Mai VFW Post 12074

Tywais - Thanks for cleaning up... :)

Thanks, it took me a while to get back on the computer. I will check the site and get back to you.

I think they meant that the event BBQ will be catered by The Duke's Restaurant.

True. And for those of you who will be attending, please give us advance notification so Duke's will have a rough head-count.

It's gonna be a GOOD ONE!

Advanced notification meaning please advance purchase your tickets. At the door they cost 50 Baht more. Maybe Jarhead50200 can let everyone know where to get tickets?

yes thank you for your interest, pre sale ticket location is located on our website www.4thjulychiangmai.com and that website will tell you that the 2 DUKES LOCATIONS is preselling tickets, and that website will tell you we have 2 VFW members who deliver tickets, one of them is me, our info is on website,

thank you all

Hubby and I had a great time last year and just put up a flyer for this year's event at a restaurant on our soi.

But, given the questions about parking, let me add mine about the toilets. Last year the portable toilet set-up was frightful -- Thai style with water ankle deep around the toilets. I saw American mothers trying to get crying children to use the toilets. I really want to enjoy some of the American beer and stay long enough to enjoy the Duke's buffet twice, but it's not as easy for us women to take care of the call of nature as it is for the men.

this year we have a brand new trailer toilet provided by the city of chiang mai

yes thank you for your interest, pre sale ticket location is located on our website www.4thjulychiangmai.com...

Sorry to jump in here Vinnie but the address you have been posting is incorrect. Go to:

www.4julychiangmai.com

As with any other event with lots of fun-loving folks, hiring the always-available public taxis or tuk-tuks is not only easier than finding

parking but much safer for those of you who may be sampling the broad range of beer brands that will be available...

Also, thanks to Tywais, we have just posted a very convenient Google Map of the venue location. Just click on the 'location' tab on our website.

I think they meant that the event BBQ will be catered by The Duke's Restaurant.

True. And for those of you who will be attending, please give us advance notification so Duke's will have a rough head-count.

It's gonna be a GOOD ONE!

Advanced notification meaning please advance purchase your tickets. At the door they cost 50 Baht more. Maybe Jarhead50200 can let everyone know where to get tickets?

yes thank you for your interest, pre sale ticket location is located on our website www.4thjulychiangmai.com and that website will tell you that the 2 DUKES LOCATIONS is preselling tickets, and that website will tell you we have 2 VFW members who deliver tickets, one of them is me, our info is on website,

thank you all

oops www.4julychiangmai.com, thank you

Will there be Dr. Pepper again?! I hope so. I was so disappointed last year. I was in the hotdog line and guy in front of me bought the very last Dr. Pepper..I almost cried. My favorite drink and I haven't had it in 5 years!!! I was so looking forward to it.

yes all the accurate information is on our website www.4julychiangmai.com, on the website we have a map, a schedule of events, prices, all you can eat DUKES RESTAURANT, one entry ticket will get you all you can eat THE DUKES, music, and entertainment all day, 1/2 of the stadium is a disney style them park for the kids, there will be thousands of dollars of raffle prizes and last but not least fireworks at 8pm, oh and we do deliver tickets, 300 adult presale, 350 adult at the door, 200 child 12-7 ticket presale, 250 child 12-7 at the door, 6 and under FREE. thank you in advance for your support and attendance at this event. EVERYONE from chiang mai is invited..............

It's wonderful to join in with the celebrations of other nationalities and as a Brit I find the 4th of July celebrations great fun. :D To fully enjoy the experience you need to go somewhere (in this case American) authentic, who really are celebrating the day and not simply somewhere that has 'put on a special' to try and make money.

If you want to truly enjoy the 4th of July, find an American place, join in and you'll be most welcome. :) I have always found American places to be most generous on 4th July.

There's something a bit weird about celebrating 4th July in a British, Aussie or Irish place. :D

...If you want to truly enjoy the 4th of July, find an American place, join in and you'll be most welcome. :) I have always found American places to be most generous on 4th July. ...

I've also found most Americans to be friendly, kind and generous and not just on July 4th. The 'ugly' American is actually very rare in my experience. I'm sure this event will be a great family day and I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Loaded

...If you want to truly enjoy the 4th of July, find an American place, join in and you'll be most welcome. :) I have always found American places to be most generous on 4th July. ...

I've also found most Americans to be friendly, kind and generous and not just on July 4th. The 'ugly' American is actually very rare in my experience. I'm sure this event will be a great family day and I'm looking forward to it.

Yes of course :D

At first I thought the link for more info was broken, it took the pdf info file several minutes to download. Many tempting reasons to go, not least of which is all you can eat Dukes barbecue for 300 baht. Any chance of some American microbrewery beers there?

Edited by heybruce

At first I thought the link for more info was broken, it took the pdf info file several minutes to download. Many tempting reasons to go, not least of which is all you can eat Dukes barbecue for 300 baht. Any chance of some American microbrewery beers there?

The link doesn't open for me at all.

Yes we are suppose to have some Boston Ale, Sam Adams, Pete's Wicked Ale and if it comes through some Redhook ESB.

Yes we are suppose to have some Boston Ale, Sam Adams, Pete's Wicked Ale and if it comes through some Redhook ESB.

Good selection, I'll definitely be there. If the beer list is still open, I'll put in a vote for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I'm a big fan of the hopped up Pacific Northwest style ales.

Good selection, I'll definitely be there. If the beer list is still open, I'll put in a vote for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I'm a big fan of the hopped up Pacific Northwest style ales.

I don't think that Sierra Nevada is distributed anywhere in Asia yet. Rogue, Stone, and Flying Dog have started showing up in the Philippines and Singapore though.

BTW, the Flying Dog has been in Singapore at the Carefours for more than a year and it seems like the big hoppy ales just sit on the shelf, while the Heffe gets sold. Not sure if it's because people don't know what they are or because extreme beers tend to not go down as well in hot climates.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I don't think that Sierra Nevada is distributed anywhere in Asia yet. Rogue, Stone, and Flying Dog have started showing up in the Philippines and Singapore though.

BTW, the Flying Dog has been in Singapore at the Carefours for more than a year and it seems like the big hoppy ales just sit on the shelf, while the Heffe gets sold. Not sure if it's because people don't know what they are or because extreme beers tend to not go down as well in hot climates.

Interesting as the hoppy ales in the U.S. are often labeled as "I.P.A." India pale ale, derived from a British style ale brewed in India. I prefer IPA as I am an old hophead.

Interesting as the hoppy ales in the U.S. are often labeled as "I.P.A." India pale ale, derived from a British style ale brewed in India. I prefer IPA as I am an old hophead.

Yes, but so-called West Coast IPAs are a lot different than the ales in Britain that are classified as being IPAs today.

BTW, the IPA got it's name because it was originally for export to India (from Britain) rather than because it was brewed in India.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Possibly because the west coast (Oregon) has planted so many hops they like to use them aplenty. Petes wicked and Red hook ESB (extra special bitter) will go down well on the 4th. :)

West Coast brewers argue that they are closer to the original version of the IPA than what is sold in England. The claim is that over the years taxation policy in England caused the IPAs to become more diluted. Apparently taxation was based upon the % alcohol, and that when the alcohol levels were reduced (to keep the tax bit down) the balance between hops and malt also needed to change lest the ale taste unbalanced. Not sure how accurate that is, but I do know that it's true than in England today there are some IPAs that have only 4% alcohol or less.

Sounds like the best place to be on the 4th July!

Not to take the thread to off-topic, but my favorite small/ micro-brew is Dogfish Head, from the East Coast.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/index.htm

Love the 90 Minute IPA and the 120 Minute.

(Back on topic)

This will be my third 4th of July festival in Chiang Mai and I have been looking forward to it since the day Songkran ended! Absolutely great fun! Its fantastic to also get a taste of "home" Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, Bud Light, etc. I've also met quite a few interesting folks there, some who have turned into long time friends. Its also nice to meet and chat with with other fellow American Football fans, which is somewhat of a rarity in Chiang Mai!

If I am still able to stand afterwards, I'll probably attempt to mosey over to Cafe Del Sol, in the Reggae Bar area. The owner there is American and I believe she usually does something special for the 4th of July "after party". Which reminds me, July 4th falls on a Sunday this year. I better go ahead and request sick leave for July 5th, as I think I won't be making it to work the next day! :)

-Mestizo

Not to take the thread to off-topic, but my favorite small/ micro-brew is Dogfish Head, from the East Coast.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/index.htm

Love the 90 Minute IPA and the 120 Minute.

(Back on topic)

This will be my third 4th of July festival in Chiang Mai and I have been looking forward to it since the day Songkran ended! Absolutely great fun! Its fantastic to also get a taste of "home" Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, Bud Light, etc. I've also met quite a few interesting folks there, some who have turned into long time friends. Its also nice to meet and chat with with other fellow American Football fans, which is somewhat of a rarity in Chiang Mai!

If I am still able to stand afterwards, I'll probably attempt to mosey over to Cafe Del Sol, in the Reggae Bar area. The owner there is American and I believe she usually does something special for the 4th of July "after party". Which reminds me, July 4th falls on a Sunday this year. I better go ahead and request sick leave for July 5th, as I think I won't be making it to work the next day! :)

-Mestizo

The Dogfish 60 minute is what I drink when I'm in the States; even though I'm a serious hops fan the 90 minute is a bit too much for me. I don't know if hoppy ales haven't been promoted in this part of the world, or if they were and were rejected, either way it's a pity. Locally I drink the freshest bottled or draft Heineken I can find because it's the only beer here in which I can notice any hops at all. But I'm sure I'll have a good time with the selection at the 4th of July party, such a good time I'll go by tuk-tuk and leave the motorbike at home.

Edited by heybruce