Red Shirt Situation Update

DavieA

Hi TV friends

My wife and I (and 2 children under 3) plan to stay in Bangkok between 19th-23rd June. We will be doing our usual 5 day Bangkok shop before returning to Australia. We usually stay at the Indra Regent in the Pratunam area because of it's central location. Before I book I would like get some reliable advice about the situation in the area with regard to the Red shirt issue. Is the area safe to stay and shop with my family, or should I be looking to stay further away? If so where?

I have heard recent activity has decreased and things may well be ok by then.

Hope you can help

:)

No problem. I live even closer than the Indra hotel and everything is almost normal. You just have to find different malls do your shopping than Paragon, Central world and Central Chidlom since they are in the Red Zone

No problem. I live even closer than the Indra hotel and everything is almost normal. You just have to find different malls do your shopping than Paragon, Central world and Central Chidlom since they are in the Red Zone

Where exactly are the hot spots?

Where exactly are the hot spots?

Starts at Petchibury, and goes in front of Central world, and continues toward Hyatt hotel , and ends at Ram4. Also on sukumvit, starts from MBK and ends at wireless road

Also rumors are it may end this week, but alot to clean up

Edited by givenall

I was in Pratunam shopping and having dinner with my girlfriend just a few days ago in Pratunam and no one seemed to care about the red shirt protestors just a few hundred meters away. Life just seemed to keep on moving as if nothing wrong was going on. Plenty of foreign tourists out and about shopping with their kids etc...

Anyway, according to the news the red shirts will be leaving the area very very soon, so nothing much for you to worry about.

I was in Pratunam shopping and having dinner with my girlfriend just a few days ago in Pratunam and no one seemed to care about the red shirt protestors just a few hundred meters away. Life just seemed to keep on moving as if nothing wrong was going on. Plenty of foreign tourists out and about shopping with their kids etc...

Anyway, according to the news the red shirts will be leaving the area very very soon, so nothing much for you to worry about.

Maybe in body bags.Look here at the latest.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Armoured-Veh...21#entry3591621

It is Thurday evening the Military is surrounding the protest zone, all non protesters have been advised to leave the area, could be a crucial next 24 hours. If you are arriving in Bangkok today or tomorrow do not attempt to get downtown especially near Siam square or Silom, keep informed and stay away from protest hot spots.

As of today, Friday, all of Pratunam is shut down.

The entire market, Indra Square, Platinum, Panthip are all shut and if there isn't a change in the current situation, who knows when they'll open.

is it going to be better or worse now after the Red general; Lt Gen Kattiya Sawasdiphol is injured ???

i'm just curious, i know that a mrt station is closed. But does this mean that the mrt just passes this station, or that the metro just doesn't pass it at all.

I would seriously suggest either postponing your trip or staying somewhere well away from Petchaburi Road, Sukhumvit from Paholyothin Road to the Asok junction and anywhere in shouting distance of Lumpini, Silom and Sala Daeng area's.

It is about to go off in a big way. MBK closed early yesterday for the first time since this all started and may well be closed for a few days. All other shopping centres around Siam Square, including Pratunam, are closed for obvious safety reasons. That and the fact that all the roads have been shut by the military.

I am due to arrrive in 2 weeks and have booked a hotel on Sukhumvit soi 9, is this a bit too close to the problem area or should I cancel and book somewhere else? any suggestions where would be appriecated.

I am due to arrrive in 2 weeks and have booked a hotel on Sukhumvit soi 9, is this a bit too close to the problem area or should I cancel and book somewhere else? any suggestions where would be appriecated.

City Lodge is next to Nana BTS.. It's some distance - a mile or so - from the troubles, which should be cleared by then at the current rate.