Can Ex-pats Drive Legally In U.s.?

quadricorrelator

what state are you planning to drive in, each state have its own driving law some strict and some easy, California is very srtict, with a international driver license you also need a local driver license to support the international, when i say local that mean the country that you have driver license in, you have to show both license if caught.

The rule is very easy, "an international driver's license shall be issued only to the holder of a domestic driver's license for the issue of which the minimum condition lad down in the Convention has been fulfilled. It shall not be valid after the expiry of the corresponding domestic driver's license."

So based on your licence issued at home you can apply for an International Driving Permit in the same country. This permit is valid in most countries that accept the UN-conventions on road traffic, but it is not valid inside the issuing country.

If you live in Thailand and have a valid Thai-licence you can apply here for an international which will be accepted in the USA.

Legally, an international licence must be accompanied by the national one which backs it. (Tomy, not only California, it's the USA)

I assumed your are a US-citizen. If you are e.g. UK-citizen, you use your UK licence to get the int'l which is accepted in USA.

For some details here is a link:

http://www.idlicense.com/drlun.asp

Without a doubt,you could drive in any state with a thai drivers license for a short while,just like here,you can drive with your US if you are a tourist. Mexicans all drive in the US with mex license,and americans drive in mex with a US license. But if you have a thai drivers license,then by all means go and get an international.but if you are planning on being in a state for awhile,just go to DMV and tell them you just moved to their state and get one there,most states you only have 10 days max to get a valid license in that state.but any state license is honored for driving in any other state.

Thanks Axel, I agree.

However I have just remembered that you may not be able to rent a car in US if you have an International Permit

Thetyim, I forgot how many cars I did rent. The biggies for sure know the permit (yes some asked me for my national licence). The sheriffs should know it, I never met one :o

Dr's idea, Thai licence with translation is too much trouble for my lazy self.

Rolling Stone, basically you are right and I do it all the time with my own one.

One thing, it is not legal. Years ago I learned it the hard way. A prosecutor in Switzerland confiscated my own licence and I was fined for driving without a valid licence. Since at that time I lived over 1 year in Switzerland I had to have a Swiss licence to be legal. (The same of course applies around the world incl. LoS)

I was suspended from driving for one month by court order. The prosecutor offered me a choice a) chop my national licence with "Not valid in Switzerland", which I accepted or B) return it by diplomatic ways to my home country where it will be voided as I no longer was a resident at home.

Aahh and I loved the humour. The prosecutor after the 1-month-suspension suggested that I have to make a local - licence test, I was no longer allowed to trnsfer it. I filled in the application for a test 4 months later (his advice) and with the receipt of the application I could drive legally in Switzerland until, as he said "you failed the test". :D

My story is an extreme case that will not happen too often and perhaps I was too stupid. I spoke in his own language, accepted his compliments for that and fall into the trap by replying his question that i lived in his country for 3 years, already.

Rolling Stone, basically you are right and I do it all the time with my own one.

One thing, it is not legal.

It most surly is legal for an American to have an American drivers licence. You just advise the issuing state (last state of residence) that you are living overseas and it will be made out to that foreign address (without signature or photo). If you try to rent a car in the USA, and are an American citizen, you will be required to show a US licence AFAIK. I have done this for the last 45 years in both the states of New Hampshire and Florida.

Lopburi3, maybe USA, THERE I am not sure. EU, legally, no way.

If you try to apply in the EU you do this in your own country at the place of your residence. To proof residence you need a police-residential report. My passport shows residence Bangkok, so at home they refer me back to Thailand. The embassy in Thailand refers me to the Thai authorities.

Btw, the Swiss licence Imentioned before (Yes, I passed the test :o )

became void the moment I left the country resp. was no longer a resident there.

They changed from paper to electronic. I tried to change in Zurich, everything was

fine, but "we need your residency-report".

From previous threats in here I remember UK has similar stories.

For rent-a-car, as said, my International (with National) was always accepted. OK am am not US-citizen.

Definitely ok in the US. Proof of address required in most states is usally only a postmarked envelope from a bill or bank statement with your name and address on it. I used the bank statement this last trip as my mother had moved and I got a new license from the state she now resides in.

Keep it real!

I never had to show any proof of residence when i got my dl again (expired some 7-8 years ago, never bothered to get another one until now), alhto i used my parents address. for years my parents had their po box on their dl's. guess it depends on the state. don't think the IRS checks your dl, i did apply for an absentee ballot and got it sent here. also, must point out that once you do get a dl it puts you in the jury duty pool so you may get called, then all you need to do is send a photocopy of your passport showing your entrance stamp into thailand.

Thanks for the jury pool info sbk, I will have to check that out in the new state my mother lives in. Her last state you were on the jury pool only if you were a registered voter. I would be livid if I could not have DL in the states. I paid $60K to the feds and $23K to the state last year and the least I think I deserve is a DL.

Keep it real!

As you might have heard,just before recall,Gov. Gray Davis signed into law a bill that allows even illegal aliens to get a cal. drivers license,so that is an option and having your Thai license translated into english is no problem

COPY FROM ASIA TRADERS ONLINE

If you have a Thai driver's license, you can have it officially translated with official stamps, your photo and all into English at the Ministry of land transport for 50 baht. This document will then serve as second license for you, a valid international driver's license usable anywhere in the world. This procedure is much easier than getting a Thai issued international driver's license which technically would not be valid in Thailand. When driving outside your home country it is recommended that you always have with you a second (international) driver's license

I worry about using a P.O. box or friend's address as my residence.

Suppose I get into an accident with my rental car. I worry the insurance company my void the contract if they find out I am not really living in the state and therefore obtained the licence illegally. It means I lied on the insurance contract so they don't have to honor it.

-q

This should be the least of your worries. The application asks for your address. Well this IS your address while in the US. If you have a US license it doesn't matter where you live. The main thing is having a drivers license!

I asked a cop when I was in California if I could use my Thai drivers license and he said sure. I thought, great. They won't be able to read a ###### thing. Perhaps, I will get off with a warning.

If you have a rental car you are using your credit card right? They have the credit card information. They will make the claim, I doubt you will have any involvment or say in the matter.

quadricorrelator, I think you worry too much.

You got a choice of International Driving permit, which is accepted by international conventions. Use of a driving licence with translation or get a US-licence by mail. :o

Take you choice and you are legal. :D

You cannot rent a car or legally drive in Florida, Ny, NJ with an international drivers license if you are an American citizen.

There's a big deal in Florida about that right now which is directly resulting from the new Visa restrictions. The Germans are ( rightfully) pissed and vocal about it. The brits are as par for the course, not vocal about it. I haven't read anything about any other group saying anything but it's sure to be somewhere as FLA is a huge meca for foreign money/investments.

I'll try to get more info for you.

If you have not had a US license in so many years you will most likely have to take the written and road test again. I did. As an American citizen you will definitely NOT be able to rent a car, get insurance or legally drive on a international or any other drivers license.

Good luck

Mr Vietnam :o