What's Wrong With My Monitor?

anna234cn

Is there a screen-saver built into the firmware on the monitor Anna?

There should be a control menu activated by a button (or 2) on the front where you can control colour hue, brightness etc...

Just a thought... :o

Maybe the monitor overheats, when displaying the hot picture below anna234cns name.

Try to replace it with a pic of an Icebear and try again  :D

Switch off your screen saver.... :D :D

Is is a nice avatar Anna... is that you? :o

:D

I've had a similar problem with my aging monitor (about 8 years of continuous use, but picture is still great). I figured out that it was overheating, and with the current condition of the monitor, it caused the screen to malfunction. Switching it off for a while brought back the picture... so now I've got a small fan set to blow into its side vents. Problem solved.

Since your problem goes away when you tap it, it might be a loose component inside. Either way, a trip to a tech should fix it.

As monitors age they seem to develop problems with connections on circuit board. In western countries it is probably not worth the fix but here most TV repair shops can probably repair a bad connection at a relatively small fee.

But maybe it is time for an LCD? :o

I had an old monitor that used to do that. Sometimes the screen would go completely black for short periods of time. Gradually, the blackouts got longer and longer until one day it went black and never recovered.

Had to get a new one.

I've had a similar problem with my aging monitor (about 8 years of continuous use, but picture is still great).  I figured out that it was overheating, and with the current condition of the monitor, it caused the screen to malfunction.  Switching it off for a while brought back the picture... so now I've got a small fan set to blow into its side vents.  Problem solved.

Since your problem goes away when you tap it, it might be a loose component inside.  Either way, a trip to a tech should fix it.

Thanks. I guess so too. so I'm gonna try with a small fan.

LCD's and TFT's hv given me the similar problems except for an apple display...

Whats your monitor? which brand, size and the current resolution and refresh rate.

Chk the screensaver and power options and disable all those settings and make it "always on" and see if it makes some difference...

another chance: is there a hight tension electric tower running close to your area... ??? that might hv spoiled something inside ur monitor...

Edited by dr_strangelove

It could be the Power Save. It will switch off the monitor when inactive and normally comes back on when it detects activity. However this sometimes becomes faulty and does not switch back on. The monitor stays in power save mode.

This has happened to some of the monitors in my office.

totster :o

I have tried with a small fan. But no use. The monitor still cant work normally. and i'm pretty sure it is not a problem of Power Save. so I guess it should be sthg wrong with the connections on circuit board. So what should I do now? Buy a new one or mend it in Panthip?

I have tried with a small fan. But no use. The monitor still cant work normally. and i'm pretty sure it is not a problem of Power Save. so I guess it should be sthg wrong with the connections on circuit board. So what should I do now? Buy a new one or mend it in Panthip?

u can repair it for some 500 bhat... might take 1 or 2 days depending on the model.. if u cant wait that longer, buy a new one... or exchange this one...

Chuck it.

Unless it is a honking great 21" monitor, it's not really worth the cost of repairing.

Even if they do fix it, there is a good chance that the problem will come back again.

New ones aren't expensive.