Searching Best Laptop For Stocktrading

vertigo4u

maybe somebody can give me an Advice, what would be the best Laptop for Stocktrading?

recieving multible Infostreams and running several Programs at the same Time is the Quest

No homebased PC, as I want to be flexible

NO Linux or Mac - as most of the trading Software is based on Windows....

What Features must such a Laptop have?

If I would consider to upgrade an existing Laptop, what would be the best Method in using or changing what Parts?

Thanks in Advance for any constructive Suggestion

Cheers

Depends on what software you are running, but most programs such as Metatrader do not require much CPU power. Most laptops around now should do the job, what I would be looking for though is a core i5 or i7 with a decent graphics processor and at 4 gig of ram and a decent size high res screen ie 1920 * 1080.

Another very important factor is warranty, so many don't give international warranty. My preference would be Asus.

Agree all points from garyh, also get a large screen laptop as you will need to be able to see many windows open at the same time. A HDMI out could be useful for the same reason, so can use a LCD screen/TV to extend your desktop. Years ago I was a desktop engineer for traders, the appications were not power hungary really, but the machines used needed alot of RAM, and also several screens to see all the feeds, so the ability to a output to a TV like this coud give you the flexablity you need.

cheers

I have no problems running metatrader on an Asus netbook which is plugged into a large external display. Trading and charting platforms don't use much processing power.

@OP

OK I know nothing about stck trading software... but

notes:

You could get a Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM but probably overkill. Macs can run windows.

Laptops are hard to upgrade outside of a larger hard drive.

A laptop with a video card could be a good idea - not really cheap but I saw a Sony with a ATI 512mb video card for under 40k. Oh Macs too!

WARRANTY: it's all about this really as others have noted. When/if your laptop goes pear-shaped where is the service center? If you are based in Bangkok, I recommend HP or Acer laptops based on my computer repairman's opinions - the reasoning being they have service centers in town and are reasonably well-made. HP customer service is excellent in Bangkok though I am a converted Mac user.

@OP

notes:

You could get a Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM but probably overkill. Macs can run windows.

A laptop with a video card could be a good idea - not really cheap but I saw a Sony with a ATI 512mb video card for under 40k. Oh Macs too!

WARRANTY: it's all about this really as others have noted. When/if your laptop goes pear-shaped where is the service center? If you are based in Bangkok, I recommend HP or Acer laptops based on my computer repairman's opinions - the reasoning being they have service centers in town and are reasonably well-made. HP customer service is excellent in Bangkok though I am a converted Mac user.

If you really want to run the MacBook Pro with Windows, then 8GB of Ram is certainly an overkill. Windows cannot address that much memory. Although I am not sure if Windows 7 64B would run on a MacBook. And will the Stocktrading software run under Windows 7 64B?

So perhaps you have a look at some to the power Laptops such as Acer Aspire 8942 or Lenovo T series with big High Resolution screens. More important is probably a fast and reliable Internet connection.

@OP

notes:

Acer has has a terrible failure rate, you would want very good support besides do they have international warranty?

Is windows the native operating system on a mac? There is no way I would want to run financial trading software on something that is not 100% true windows, could easily cost much more than the price of a computer.

All laptops have some sort of video hardware, without it you get no picture.

@OP

notes:

If you really want to run the MacBook Pro with Windows, then 8GB of Ram is certainly an overkill. Windows cannot address that much memory. Although I am not sure if Windows 7 64B would run on a MacBook. And will the Stocktrading software run under Windows 7 64B?

So perhaps you have a look at some to the power Laptops such as Acer Aspire 8942 or Lenovo T series with big High Resolution screens. More important is probably a fast and reliable Internet connection.

I run windows 7 64 bit, it handles all my 32 bit applications with no problem. However I still run one computer with XP as Metatrader 4 still has problems on Vista and Windows 7 due to it wanting to keep data in the programs folder. This will change with Metatrader 5 but it may be a while before myself and many others use it as all EA's and indicators need to be rewritten.

If you are trading online, particularly short term intraday, you want to be more concerned about your internet connection than the computer. If you need to close a position quickly and your connection drops this has the potential to induce a panic attack. This has happened to me.

I have an adsl connection as the primary and an edge usb modem as an emergency standby. I also have a second computer ready to go if I have a machine failure.

If you are trading online, particularly short term intraday, you want to be more concerned about your internet connection than the computer. If you need to close a position quickly and your connection drops this has the potential to induce a panic attack. This has happened to me.

I have an adsl connection as the primary and an edge usb modem as an emergency standby. I also have a second computer ready to go if I have a machine failure.

If you place a stop when you put the trade on it will not be so bad.

I am assuming any sensible trader would always use emergency stops, but that's not really the point as a broken internet connection won't allow you to trail stops or add to positions etc etc depending on how you trade.

Edited by trd

I am assuming any sensible trader would always use emergency stops, but that's not really the point as a broken internet connection won't allow you to trail stops or add to positions etc etc depending on how you trade.

There are routers that will switch to a USB 3G modem automaticaly, so your net should not drop out, also a UPS to power the router/modem is a must have for the day trader.

maybe somebody can give me an Advice, what would be the best Laptop for Stocktrading?

recieving multible Infostreams and running several Programs at the same Time is the Quest

No homebased PC, as I want to be flexible

NO Linux or Mac - as most of the trading Software is based on Windows....

What Features must such a Laptop have?

If I would consider to upgrade an existing Laptop, what would be the best Method in using or changing what Parts?

Thanks in Advance for any constructive Suggestion

Cheers

Stock trading display are really not very demanding for any laptop. Mostly it depends on how you plan to use it. If you'll be using it on the move then you need the smallest netbook with the biggest battery you can fit on it. If you'll mostly be using it at home then a big-ass screen and the ability to plug in multiple displays are a must.

For you, obviously the most important feature is The ability To capitalize Every other Word if You goddam Want to.