Skype Withdraws Thailand From "unlimited Country"

makescents

It seems as though Skype have withdrawn the their unlimited calls to Thailand for 199 baht per month.

Searching the site after my subscription has expired due to my credit card expiring I found that they only offer 60/120 minute packages.

Even their Unlimited World package no longer features Thailand.

Quoting a moderator on their forums

The Unlimited Country Call Plan [Thailand]] was withdrawn effective May 6th 2010.

[yesterday].

It is replaced by a local Limited Call Plan.

Looks like the fun is over, back to pay per minute and ridiculous connection charges :)

MC

E2A: This doesn't affect those who subscribed before 6th May and continue to renew their subscriptions.

Edited by makescents

Sign up to voipdiscount.com. Pay 10 Euros and you'll get 120 days of non-charged calls to Thailand landlines and mobiles. After the 120 days runs out you pay 2 cents US per minute until your 10 Euros runs out. Then buy another 10 Euros worth and do it all again.

We are using this plan but have not been advised it will stop, does anyone know if they are cancelling current subscriptions? Getting information from Skype seems to be very difficult. Have been looking at dropping them any way as you can not use normal voip hardware with them either.

We are using this plan but have not been advised it will stop, does anyone know if they are cancelling current subscriptions? Getting information from Skype seems to be very difficult. Have been looking at dropping them any way as you can not use normal voip hardware with them either.

They won't cancel your current subscription.

The main advantage I found was that I could call using my mobile for free with Three.

Now I'll have to find a cheap internet plan with a network who hopefully doesn't block SIP clients.

Not normally, but they charge your card before the renewal is due and will cancel the subscription if it gets rejected for any reason without giving you a chance to remedy it and won't let you keep the old terms. Happened to me last year when my ATM card was suspended because a statement got returned in error. They are bastards..

Not normally, but they charge your card before the renewal is due and will cancel the subscription if it gets rejected for any reason without giving you a chance to remedy it and won't let you keep the old terms. Happened to me last year when my ATM card was suspended because a statement got returned in error. They are bastards..

I'm having to deal with this now. Their customer service is appalling I'm just getting automated emails back.

MC

Does this effect calling Thailand only or does it also effect making calls from Thailand? I signed up for Skype in the US but am in Thailand and use it all the time to call to the US ... will I be affected?

The main advantage I found was that I could call using my mobile for free with Three.

Now I'll have to find a cheap internet plan with a network who hopefully doesn't block SIP clients.

Voipdiscount allows you to use any SIP device rather than their own software. They also allow you to register a mobile number with them which you can use to dial a geographic number out of your 'free' minutes allowance.

Voipdiscount allows you to use any SIP device rather than their own software. They also allow you to register a mobile number with them which you can use to dial a geographic number out of your 'free' minutes allowance.

Is it a landline number or a mobile number?

No android app though :)

Does this effect calling Thailand only or does it also effect making calls from Thailand? I signed up for Skype in the US but am in Thailand and use it all the time to call to the US ... will I be affected?

This is calls to Thailand only. Your service hasn't changed; except the price.

This is calls to Thailand only. Your service hasn't changed; except the price.

Thanks, I went to the site and noticed they also have a fair use page now which puts caps on the number of calls per day as well as minutes used per month ... maybe that was always there but I never noticed it.

Basically seems like they are reducing service while raising prices ... not the best marketing decision. Should have separated the timing a bit if they were smart. At least it seems like at least the country list and pricing is not changing, for now, with existing accounts.

Is it a landline number or a mobile number?

No android app though :)

It's a choice of 3 (4?) landline numbers.

My unlimited Thailand for 5.95 is still working. Its set up on autobill.

I also have skype on my blackberry.

Can make calls to anyone in Thailand when I am logged in....

I did not know they had withdrawn Thailand from the list until today

when I was trying to help a friend sign up :)

The Skype business model seems to have drastically changed.

I did a quick search to find out more but did not find too much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anybody have a current recommendation for a VOIP (SIP) service provider that could give me the following in one package:

1. Incoming number based in USA

2. Incoming number based in Thailand

3. Inexpensive outgoing rates

Thanks