Separation/divorce With "o" Visa

Hello all,

URGENT!!! Need some sound advise.

After being married for 10 years our problems have come to a head and we must separate quickly before violence occurs. I'm in Thailand on an "O" visa for the first time after living in the States our whole marriage and would like to stay even after we separate as we have children here that I would like to be present for. I'm 36 years old. There is no affair goin on and no prospetive relationship. This is just your run of the mill marrital issues and we both are fed up!!! Is it possible for me to go it alone and get an apartment without her there to sign papers? What are some of the problems I might run into. I have no money issues at all... Please HELP!!pulling-hair-out.gif

Your question seems more related to the visa, it being the most important issue as far a I can see so I will move this to the thai visa section. I believe you can get a visa based on taking care of a dependent thai child.

As for getting an apartment etc without her, yes you can.

i think all you need is to demostrate that you are actually the father and then deposit 400.000 on a bank account with the name of your child on it (which apparently is not so easy to take it back after if you have to), and the kid must have not reached yet a certain age (18-21 ???), that's what i can remember.

If you are here on an ''o Visa, Visa run every 90 days, then I don't think it matters (only married extensions are cancelled).

You can just continue to use the 'o' Visa until it expires.

You say you need to seperate quickly, that doesn't mean you need to divorce quickly.

Then at the end of the 'o' Visa apply for extension for looking after child.

Assuming you are married (amphur office) make sure you do not give up any of your rights to custody, on divorce at amphur office fill out the form for 50/50 custody. If you only did a village wedding, then you are not married and have no custody rights at the moment.

Do not allow anyone to talk you into agreeing anything different, once your rights to custody are given away they are almost impossible to reclaim.

Sould you not be able to agree custody terms, refuse amphur divorce, court will normally enforce 50/50 custody.

Edited by sarahsbloke

You will not get extensions of stay, unless you are the person taking care of the children. But you can get a multiple non-O visa based on your children, requring you to leave every 90 days.

You could consider coucelling or something like that before you end your marriage.

There are very few Consulates that will issue a multi entry for child. It will be single entry with expectation he will extend on basis of taking care of the child. As this does not seem to be the case from post believe Perth runs (and perhaps ID card of someone) may be required for a multi entry.

If here on a multi entry non immigrant O visa have never heard of anyone having a problem continuing to use same until expiration in the event of death/divorce but times may be changing as computers take over.

The child will be between the both of us. 5 yro, USA born, but has a Thai birth certificate. I have tried everything to influence the relationship in a positive direction, but to no avail. The arguments are occurring more often in front of the children. 2 step children she had prior to our marriage. They also have me as their only support as the Thai "father" has done 0 for them. We came very close to separating in the States years ago. I could not muster up the strength to escape as her children had just come to the States and were doing so well in school. I wanted things to work, but the time bomb was ticking.

I can get a multi entry visa based on my US born child with his Thai birth certificate? I like to be here for all the children. Sorry for the rant!