Website Creation

deadman

I want to be able to store some course material for students to download, nothing fancy, just the odd page of text. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Will I need some kind of website, or could I do it with only a homepage (I don't think people can download stuff from the latter???)

Any help appreciated

cheers

dm

I want to be able to store some course material for students to download, nothing fancy, just the odd page of text. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Will I need some kind of website, or could I do it with only a homepage (I don't think people can download stuff from the latter???)

Any help appreciated

cheers

dm

There is no technical difference between a website and a homepage, it's just a size-reference. Even that said, a website can always be refereed to as an homepage [for a company and so on], but not usually the other way around.

To let anyone be able to download something from an 'website', you either store it on the website itself or on an ftp. Either way, unless profiles for access it setup, anyone can download it.

Extreamly crude example:

<html>

<head>

<title>My special place</title>

</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

<a href="myfiles.rar">Click here to download my files</a>

</body>

</html>

Edited by Zarkow

Any help appreciated

cheers

dm

You need:

1. An online storage space (some web server to store your page and files for download)

2. simple html code (such as quoted by Zarkow) to provide links to the material you wish to download

For 1 - If you don't require your own domain (for example www.deadman.com), you can find many free hosting services online, of course, limited by size.

For 2 - someone who knows basic html or how to use programs that generate such html, such as dreamweaver, frontpage,etc.

In order to upload files to your website, you can use either an ftp program or a web interface (in case your hosting service supports one).

If you are interested in a proper web package - domain, hosting service and some design please PM me for more information.

Easiest thing for what you want to do is to set up a group on yahoo.

go to http://groups.yahoo.com

its free and will allow you share the info you want

Any help appreciated

cheers

dm

You need:

1. An online storage space (some web server to store your page and files for download)

2. simple html code (such as quoted by Zarkow) to provide links to the material you wish to download

For 1 - If you don't require your own domain (for example www.deadman.com), you can find many free hosting services online, of course, limited by size.

For 2 - someone who knows basic html or how to use programs that generate such html, such as dreamweaver, frontpage,etc.

In order to upload files to your website, you can use either an ftp program or a web interface (in case your hosting service supports one).

If you are interested in a proper web package - domain, hosting service and some design please PM me for more information.

a few things to add: www.deadman.com is for sure not a good domainname for a theacher :o:D

there are several webspace packages which are very cheap like 4-10 US$ per month. But for your requirements they should be very fine:

Example at Interland: http://www.interland.com/shared/value_deta...?platform=linux

something 8 US$ per month incl. Domainname (I have a dedicated server there and very happy with their service).

But there are tons of other companies.....

and really don't call your webpage www.deadman.com better would be www.happystudent.com or www.sanukinsteadoflearn.com :D

h90

Any help appreciated

cheers

dm

You need: