Mexican Restaurant

JRinger

Anyone had a memorible eating experience recently at a Mexican restaurant, Sukhumvit area ?

Is a good one still down the street from Soi Cowboy (Shell soi)? They were Muy Bueno.

Sinior Pico's, haven't eaten there for many years.

Muchos Gracias

Senor Picos is still in the Rembrandt Soi 20 I believe. They are OK. Have not eaten at the one you mentioned near Soi Cowboy. Another place is Bourbon Street Suk Soi 22, on Tuesday nights they have a great mexican buffet for 400 baht. Also if you ever venture down to Pattaya try Mike's Mexican between Pattaya and Jomtein beaches. Thye just moved to a new location down one of the Sois to Jomtien but have a big yellow sign on the main road.

Los Cabos, Soi 14, get off at the Asoke station and it's right there. Eaten there twice, the guy who owns it is a former San Francisco restaurateur and a nice guy, treated me and my buddy to a pitcher of Margaritas, but when I was actually eating I wasn't drunk, and it was pretty much spot on. Maybe could be hotter, but maybe that's just me being too used to Thai food. Not cheap, though.

Los Cabos, Soi 14, get off at the Asoke station and it's right there. Eaten there twice, the guy who owns it is a former San Francisco restaurateur and a nice guy, treated me and my buddy to a pitcher of Margaritas, but when I was actually eating I wasn't drunk, and it was pretty much spot on. Maybe could be hotter, but maybe that's just me being too used to Thai food. Not cheap, though.

I am surprised not one person has mentioned the best Mexican restaurant in Bangkok: Tacos and Salsa.

I am surprised not one person has mentioned the best Mexican restaurant in Bangkok: Tacos and Salsa.

Is it still open Last month when I was in Bangkok it was closed.

Is it still open Last month when I was in Bangkok it was closed.

Ate there about 15 days ago..........food keeps getting better.

Closed? I wonder if Jorge had to close the place for a short time when "all hel_l broke lose" due to the Reds.

The last time I was there I saw several Koreans eating at the place........that surprised me.

It is good to know that some Asians are wanting Mexican food.

There was a Korean owned restaurant which attempted "Mexican" food in Pattaya on Klang called Taco Valley. It lasted about 3 months and it's demise was to no one's surprise, as it's food was quite uninspiring. Actually, there's a very "in" roach coach in Los Angeles which is owned by Koreans and serves fusion Mexican food called Kogi's BBQ which is wildly successful.

http://www.kogibbq.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I ate Mexican at Charley Browns in Sukh Soi 11 a couple of months ago, seemed much better than my usual venue, Coyote (near Soi 33)...which is closer to home. (As a side note, I ate at the Coyote in Patong Beach last week & found the that food & service there was notably better than their Sukh branch).

Edited by mark5335

Ate there about 15 days ago..........food keeps getting better.

Closed? I wonder if Jorge had to close the place for a short time when "all hel_l broke lose" due to the Reds.

The last time I was there I saw several Koreans eating at the place........that surprised me.

Best Mexican I've had has been in Seoul.

Best mexican in BKK is La Monita. Their location was right near ground zero. Go by & see Billy & O for a great meal.

Closed Sunday.

Agree with this. You can find La Monita at http://www.lamonita.com or by going to Phloen Chit BTS and exiting to Mahathun Plaza, then walking to the back end of the complex.

Mexican food threads have a tendency to get a bit heated, so I'll also say that you definitely will not go wrong to visit Tacos & Salsa either, which is on Sukhumvit near Soi 22 - or on the web at http://tacosandsalsa.com. Los Cabos is good for a few of their combo plates and specialty items, particularly their chile relleno, and has the coolest building and grounds of all the restaurants (worth going just to hang out in the house). Sunrise and Sabroso are both much closer to fast food Mexican that you might find at Taco Bell or Taco Cabana back in America. This is from the point of view of a native Tex-Mex eater, so if you're from Mexico or prefer a different variety of Mexican your opinion may vary greatly.

Best of luck!

Best mexican in BKK is La Monita. Their location was right near ground zero. Go by & see Billy & O for a great meal.

Might add here "in my opinion" or "if you like American-style Mexican."

Closed Sunday.

And for private parties, without prior notice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had a memorible eating experience recently at a Mexican restaurant, Sukhumvit area ?

Is a good one still down the street from Soi Cowboy (Shell soi)? They were Muy Bueno.

Sinior Pico's, haven't eaten there for many years.

Muchos Gracias

There's a great place on soi14 in Bangkok, opened recently. Los cabos. Its in an old house, great decor and has PARKING

I was just up in BKK and ate Mexican 3 times. Los Cabos, Senor Pico's Tacos and Salsa. Los Cabos was outdoors and the food was OK, but on the expensive side. Senor Picos is inside, they usually have live music, the food is good, and they had a two for one Heineken deal going. Tacos and Salsa is inside, nothing special about the interior, but the food was the best out of all 3.

Senor Picos is the most expensive, mid range is Los Cabos, with Tacos and Salsa being the cheapest. Senor Picos also gives out free chips and salsa, which the others don't. In both Senor Picos and Los Cabos I did notice quite a few Thais eating there, but not at Los Cabos. This could be attributed to no A/C ( that I am aware of) at Los Cabos.

• 2 weeks later...

Closed Sunday.

Agree with this. You can find La Monita at http://www.lamonita.com or by going to Phloen Chit BTS and exiting to Mahathun Plaza, then walking to the back end of the complex.

Mexican food threads have a tendency to get a bit heated, so I'll also say that you definitely will not go wrong to visit Tacos & Salsa either, which is on Sukhumvit near Soi 22 - or on the web at http://tacosandsalsa.com. Los Cabos is good for a few of their combo plates and specialty items, particularly their chile relleno, and has the coolest building and grounds of all the restaurants (worth going just to hang out in the house). Sunrise and Sabroso are both much closer to fast food Mexican that you might find at Taco Bell or Taco Cabana back in America. This is from the point of view of a native Tex-Mex eater, so if you're from Mexico or prefer a different variety of Mexican your opinion may vary greatly.

Best of luck!

I tried Mexican food in Bangkok (wore a mask like this so nobody could see the real me):

post-109106-078533500 1277179365_thumb.j

Ranking from best to worst:

Tacos and Salsa

La Monita

Los Cabos

Sunrise Tacos

Closed Sunday.

Agree with this.  You can find La Monita at http://www.lamonita.com or by going to Phloen Chit BTS and exiting to Mahathun Plaza, then walking to the back end of the complex.

Mexican food threads have a tendency to get a bit heated, so I'll also say that you definitely will not go wrong to visit Tacos & Salsa either, which is on Sukhumvit near Soi 22 - or on the web at http://tacosandsalsa.com.  Los Cabos is good for a few of their combo plates and specialty items, particularly their chile relleno, and has the coolest building and grounds of all the restaurants (worth going just to hang out in the house).  Sunrise and Sabroso are both much closer to fast food Mexican that you might find at Taco Bell or Taco Cabana back in America.  This is from the point of view of a native Tex-Mex eater, so if you're from Mexico or prefer a different variety of Mexican your opinion may vary greatly.  

Best of luck!

I  tried Mexican food in Bangkok (wore a mask like this so nobody could see the real me):

post-109106-078533500 1277179365_thumb.j

Ranking from best to worst:

Tacos and Salsa

La Monita

Los Cabos

Sunrise Tacos

Did you use a lot of gray / grey matter in coming up with those rankings? Close encounter of the Mexican Kind? 

Did you use a lot of gray / grey matter in coming up with those rankings? Close encounter of the Mexican Kind?

laugh.gifHumans.............with their grey matter..........laugh.gif

Please don't get me started laugh.gif

Really, there are three good t things on the planet: Thai girls who never ask for money, Mexican food, and something called "Margaritas."

Other than that, not really that impressive or special.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently went to a place called Tacos and Salsa. The food was great and seemed authentic.

The owner is Mexican, so that should not come as a surprise.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

I believe it is near Soi 22 Sukumvit (by the Emporium).

Unfortunately, I also ate at a place inside the Emporium (Sukumvit) called Sunrise Tacos.

It was awful and boring. It did not smell or taste like Mexican food (never again).

I highly recommend Tacos and Salsa.

tacos and salsa and la monita are the

best IMO but just an FYI monita is a little pricey...but u get what u pay

for...

I also recommend sabroso's in the topps supermarket on soi thong lo ... simple menu but very delicious..I will make the trip even if i don't have to shop. think very fresh taco bell style..