Lost Mobile

kreon

With a subscription SIM, your name and address is registered with the network operator, and so they know that this is your number. The above procedure works for this type of SIM.

However, with a prepay SIM, your name and address are not really registered (the registration law doesn't count), and so if you lose the sim, your number is lost, disconnected, then re-issued to somone else.

Firefox, when my phone (a pre-paid 1-2-Call) was stolen l rang the phone company to report it stolen and to see if anyone else was using it. No-one was (must have ditched the SIM) and they said they would put a block on it being used, it only had a few baht credit left fortunately.

I thought about getting the copy of the police report, which as about twenty police had come to our house to investigate the burglary should not have been to hard, but then Dtac were having some good deals so l didn't bother and just purchased a new Dtac SIM.

I do remember 1-2-Call saying l would be able to keep my number if l got the police report although how they would know the number was mine l don't know. Maybe they ask you to give them details of the calls you made or your recharge history to verify it was your number.

Strange that you could do this. If you can just call and allege that your prepaid sim was stolen, and the operator puts a block on it no questions asked... that leaves a lot of room for people to maliciciously block someone else's phone. No ID information needed, and there's really no sure way to prove your ownership.

thanks for the info, my thai friend called 1-2 call, and got my number blocked and is getting a police report today.

next he has to go to ais to get a new sim card with same number. guess have to pay a few hunderd baht for that.

At this One-2-Call (AIS) website it says...

"Lost your SIM Card? No hassle. We can activate a One-2-Call! SIM Card replacement while keeping the same number."

I am under the impression that you have to request a replacement within 30 days. This is a very handy feature as I would really like to keep my number in the event my mobile is stolen or lost.

When I call the One-2-Call Call Center (1175, press 2 for English CSR's), they usually try to verify ownership by asking me questions about my top-up history. I can answer this question as I only use 500 THB top-up cards and I save the most recent top-up SMS so can provide the date. BTW, they are extremely helpful and repsonsive, as they are in the Telewiz shops and email ( [email protected] ).

well my friend went to ais with the police report, had to put the new simcard in her name, also still had my credit of bt325 re-instated with the same june 2006 expiry :D

lost the phone numbers though :o

• 4 weeks later...

After I lost my mobile recently, I went to the DTAC shop and they gave me a new SIM card with the same number as my lost one. I had to go to my local police station first and give them a note from DTAC - they then filled out a form and kept a copy. I went back to DTAC and they gave me the SIM card.

This was all free, but I would have paid for it, as keeping the old number is very important.

But now a friend of mine has lost her phone, and she says she cannot get the same number on a new SIM card, because she is with AIS.

Anyone know which companies can do it, and which can't? Or why?

i dont know the costs...but a friend lost 3 mobiles last year with ais...and got the new sim at some cost i suppose....

this was for post paidaccount with ais...

the laws may differ for prepaid..

i just received a replacement sim from ais. it took about 30min and was for free

Can you say whether it was a post-paid or pre-paid account?

Thanks for the information.

//Edit:

Don't bother, Brew - I just found out she went to AIS and got her old number back.

Thanks everyone for your input :o

RDN

Edited by RDN

There was a recent thread with some relevant information.

Thanks very much for that, lomatopo, I'll see if I can merge the two threads.

I just read that thread and am amazed at how different people have been given different responses. My friend's AIS 1-2-call SIM was replaced without question as was my own DTAC Happy DPrompt card.

//Edit:

Thread's successfully merged.

Edited by RDN

...lost the phone numbers though :o

This is one of the two big problems:

1. Losing all your contacts

2. Not retaining your old number so people can contact you.

Fortunately, "2" above is not a problem if the company can issue you with a SIM having the same number.

But "1" is a real pain. I kept all my numbers on my computer, but they weren't up-to-date. My friend also lost all her numbers.

The only way to prevent this is to write them down somewhere - like in an address book - and don't assume that you will never lose your phone or SIM card.

Some phones allow you to synchronise data with your PC.

...lost the phone numbers though :o

This is one of the two big problems:

1. Losing all your contacts

2. Not retaining your old number so people can contact you.

Fortunately, "2" above is not a problem if the company can issue you with a SIM having the same number.

But "1" is a real pain. I kept all my numbers on my computer, but they weren't up-to-date. My friend also lost all her numbers.

The only way to prevent this is to write them down somewhere - like in an address book - and don't assume that you will never lose your phone or SIM card.

Some phones allow you to synchronise data with your PC.

On some mobile phones you can copy your contacts between the phone's memory and the memory on the SIM. I did have an obsolete Orange SIM which I used to back-up my contacts. I also use Nokia PC Suite to regularly back-up contacts with Outlook. I also have a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM for use in the USA and I copy numbers onto that phone and SIM, from my Thai SIM, just to be sure.

On some mobile phones you can copy your contacts between the phone's memory and the memory on the SIM. I did have an obsolete Orange SIM which I used to back-up my contacts. I also use Nokia PC Suite to regularly back-up contacts with Outlook. I also have a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM for use in the USA and I copy numbers onto that phone and SIM, from my Thai SIM, just to be sure.

Thank you for jogging my memory! Years ago in the UK I bought a couple of SIM card readers - for my company - and used them to program the SIM cards we used for a GSM project.

I presume such card readers are now available to download phone numbers to a PC. With my new Acer PC I got a free 9-in-1 Card reader, which has four slots in the side labelled CF/MD, MS, SD/MMC and SM. But, as it came with no instructions, there's no way I'm going to try to plug in my expensive digital camera card - or SIM card - just to see what happens!

If anyone can shed light on which cards can be read by this 9-in-1 reader, or what is a good SIM card reader with USB port, I would be very grateful.

i really doubt u can get sim card readers/writers in thailand....

if u get your hands on any pls provide the details....would be interesting to play around with...

n also where to get blank sim cards from?

i really doubt u can get sim card readers/writers in thailand....

if u get your hands on any pls provide the details....would be interesting to play around with...

n also where to get blank sim cards from?

Yep - couldn't find any and one guy said you can't get them. So maybe I'll get a Bluetooth phone instead :o

Hmm RDN - well Id say order it, but prob wont make it there. Well all else fails I can bring one over in January for you.

Thanks for the offer Brit, but I've almost convinced myself to buy a really expensive phone with camera and Bluetooth. I was going to buy a new camera - about 15 to 20,000 baht - but now I'm thinking I could get a phone with a good camera and kill two birds with one stone: have new camera and have phone that keeps itself synchronised with the PC.

Maybe I'll start a new thread on the best camera/Bluetooth phones after I've Googled for a while.

Thanks again for the offer! :o