Mirror Mirror On The Wall

jellymeister

can anyone explain the Thai obsession with mirrors...in japanese shinto shrines the miror has some spiritual connections , but is there any connection in Thai thought.....I saw one office secretary with 2 mirrors on her desk and her screensaver was a picture of herself......also go on any elevator with mirrors and everyone is transfixed with their own image......what gives?

Its the same with mirrors on motorbikes too. Gauranteed to see someone parked up checking themselves out daily. I've never done this myself. come to think of it I probably only look in a mirror once a week while shaving. I don't know, Its got to be Vanity or something

Oh, given your initial sentence I thought you meant something else.

A friend of mine lives across the street from the Siam City Bank with its giant garudas. She has put mirrors on her outside walls to reflect their energy back.

Oh, given your initial sentence I thought you meant something else.

A friend of mine lives across the street from the Siam City Bank with its giant garudas. She has put mirrors on her outside walls to reflect their energy back.

A prudent move, in accordance with current health and safety and the precautionary principle: just because we cannot prove or quantify the risk does not mean that we should ignore the risk that may be present, and we should seek to control that risk if we can do so without incurring significant cost

SC

Its the same with mirrors on motorbikes too. Gauranteed to see someone parked up checking themselves out daily. I've never done this myself. come to think of it I probably only look in a mirror once a week while shaving. I don't know, Its got to be Vanity or something

I hate it. I don’t think anyone is satisfy with the way they are. They keep changing the looks and then they keep looking in the mirror and hating the way they look. My wife isn’t too bad but her sister, look at all and any mirror she passes by, especially her butt. And she keeps asking about her noise that she just changed a bit.

Are the guy the same way?

Hey, people have mirrors on the bike to look at themselves to confirm to themselves that they are the handsome ones. Didn't you know that. And everyone who criticise that is in the wrong country.

Mirrors on motorbikes in Thailand are purely used to locate and pop zits!

[8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

I hate it. I don't think anyone is satisfy with the way they are. They keep changing the looks and then they keep looking in the mirror and hating the way they look. My wife isn't too bad but her sister, look at all and any mirror she passes by, especially her butt. And she keeps asking about her noise that she just changed a bit.

I might change my butt noise. Something with a bit more bass and reverb; more like a trombone than a flugelhorn

SC

dont forget, its also useful to hang yr plastic shopping bags off them while the passenger carries the desktop computer on his lap

A prudent move, in accordance with current health and safety and the precautionary principle: just because we cannot prove or quantify the risk does not mean that we should ignore the risk that may be present, and we should seek to control that risk if we can do so without incurring significant cost

SC

or additional risk. :):D

Regarding the seven years bad luck, I found this on t'internet.

The origin of the "break a mirror, face seven years of bad luck" superstition can be traced back to the Romans, who were the first to create glass mirrors. Just because your culture invents something totally useful like a mirror doesn't mean you can't still have some irrational beliefs about its use. The Romans, along with the Greek, Chinese, African and Indian cultures, believed that a mirror had the power to confiscate part of the user's soul. If the user's reflected image became distorted in any way, this could mean a corruption of his or her soul.

To make bad matters even worse, if the user should break a mirror it would mean his or her soul would be trapped inside the Bizarro world the mirror represented. Essentially, a broken mirror created a broken soul, which in turn lead to the broken health of the unfortunate user. The Romans also believed that a person's physical body renewed itself every seven years, so under that criteria it would take seven years before the user's soul would be fully restored. Up until then, life for a mirror breaker would be one long string of unfortunate events, since he or she no longer had a healthy soul to ward off spiritual evil-doers.

Source should anyone have nothing better to do : http://www.wisegeek.com/why-is-it-consider...ak-a-mirror.htm

I hate it. I don't think anyone is satisfy with the way they are. They keep changing the looks and then they keep looking in the mirror and hating the way they look. My wife isn't too bad but her sister, look at all and any mirror she passes by, especially her butt. And she keeps asking about her noise that she just changed a bit.

I might change my butt noise. Something with a bit more bass and reverb; more like a trombone than a flugelhorn

SC

:)

Not purely Billy. pop Zits for sure, but I see mostly Guys, Dodgy looking Guys in my opinion; tending there buffonts mostly. It freaks me out . had one recently sat on my friends motorbike tending its buffont after having taken a trip on said motorbike , after having retrieved my friends keys from her Bedroom without asking. It was only her screaming at me to stop that prevented me from kicking its buffont across the road. It had spots also for sure though. I think I've got a Phobea :)

SC

:)

Why the sarcasm?

The lady had an operation on her butt and her throat

What's the problem?

:D

Edited by Slaps

Not purely Billy. pop Zits for sure, but I see mostly Guys, Dodgy looking Guys in my opinion; tending there buffonts mostly. It freaks me out . had one recently sat on my friends motorbike tending its buffont after having taken a trip on said motorbike , after having retrieved my friends keys from her Bedroom without asking. It was only her screaming at me to stop that prevented me from kicking its buffont across the road. It had spots also for sure though. I think I've got a Phobea :)

Nah, not a phobia, just a well conditioned reaction to Thais in mirrors - incidentally, when they go for the yearly T.O.R - do they clean the zit spew from the mirrors?

A secretary that uses a picture of herself as her screensaver? No one told her how wrong that is?

?How wrong is it?

Seems fairly harmless to me...

I'd like to use her picture as a screensaver as well, if you can email it to me

SC

Using a pic of yourself for a desktop or screensaver goes beyond Vanity, its a sickness. Using a pic of someone else is fine as you want to be reminded of them, to what purpose does looking at a pic of yourself all day serve? Mirror you look to fix the parsley sticking in your teeth, pic? No reason for that.

Using a pic of yourself for a desktop or screensaver goes beyond Vanity, its a sickness. Using a pic of someone else is fine as you want to be reminded of them, to what purpose does looking at a pic of yourself all day serve? Mirror you look to fix the parsley sticking in your teeth, pic? No reason for that.

The screensaver's only up when you're not working. So your co-workers can enjoy our comely visage, even in your absence...

SC

Dude, stop making excuses. You know its all fuc_king wrong. :)

She probably does it just to wind you up, now that you've learnt to contain yourself over the typos and malapropisms in her work.

She'll start using coloured fonts soon.

And then she'll put a row of little furry gonks on the top of her monitor.

Can you send me the picture, for my screensaver?

SC

Dude, stop making excuses. You know its all fuc_king wrong. :)

She probably does it just to wind you up, now that you've learnt to contain yourself over the typos and malapropisms in her work.

She'll start using coloured fonts soon.

And then she'll put a row of little furry gonks on the top of her monitor.

Can you send me the picture, for my screensaver?

SC

All that you listed is fine... EXCEPT THE SELF PORTRAIT SCREENSAVER :D