Study Finds Thai Toilet Habits Lacking

george

Study finds toilet habits lacking

BANGKOK: -- There are enough public toilets in the country but many locals still practise poor hygiene as faecal coliform bacteria have been found on toilet floors and door knobs, a health study found.

The problem comes from users who crouch atop seats rather than sit when visiting toilets, it said.

Seven per cent of users do not wash their hands after flushing, it found.

The data arrive as the country prepares to host the second World Toilet Expo and Forum in November next year, spurring health officials to take action.

Deputy Public Health Minister Anuthin Charnveerakul said the ministry and related departments were organising the exhibition.

He said the country could not upgrade washrooms further without first educating people about the importance of personal hygiene.

The matter especially affects the safety of people living in high-density urban areas.

The survey found that the only areas where modern toilets are lacking were those along the borders and in forests, where pit toilets are more commonly used.

The study found faecal coliform bacteria on half the floors of public toilets.

About 31 per cent of the toilet seats were also found to contain the bacteria, while 7.7 per cent of the flush levers were found to be contaminated.

--The Nation 2005-06-11

SANITATION / WORLD SUMMIT PREPARATIONS

City prepares to polish up its public toilets

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will give its public toilets a major facelift to bring them up to international standards ahead of a world toilet summit in Bangkok next year.

Deputy Public Health Minister Anuthin Charnveerakul said yesterday his ministry was working with local officials and health volunteers to inspect public toilets and ensure they meet sanitary standards.

The project is part of the country's preparation to host the world toilet summit scheduled for November next year.

Mr Anuthin said he himself was very wary when he had to use a public toilet.

''I have to open a public toilet door with my foot and ask those washing hands before me not to turn off the faucets because I don't want to contract anything in that breeding ground for germs,'' he said.

Sanitary management at public toilets throughout the country was badly in need of improvement, Mr Anuthin added.

According to a Health Department survey among 5,786 users at 1,100 public toilets in 20 provinces popular with tourists including Chiang Mai and Phuket, more than half of the toilets were unhygienic, smelly, damp and dirty. Faecal coliforms were also found everywhere _ on the floors, toilet seats, water cisterns, taps and door knobs.

The survey also found that improper use of toilets was rife. Many people, who apparently did not know how to use flush toilets, would lift up toilet lids and squat on the seats. Hundreds of respondents said they did not wash their hands after using public toilets.

Regular public toilet users tended to have gastroenteritis problems due to poor maintenance of the plumbing system and waste management, and insufficient supplies of handsoap, toilet paper and wet wipes, the survey report said.

Also, untreated human waste could cause many diseases including cholera, dysentery and diarrhoea, it said.

Health Department chief Somyot Charoensak called on local authorities to cooperate fully with the campaign to bring public toilets up to international standards.

--Bangkok Post 2005-06-11

No suprise here. In developed countries a significant percent of the population (mostly male) do not wash their hands after using the toilet. I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer in my fanny pack when traveling around. No water or towel needed. Just squeeze a small amount on and rub your hands together. Air drys and kills most of the germs. Worth the effort IMHO.

''I have to open a public toilet door with my foot and ask those washing hands before me not to turn off the faucets because I don't want to contract anything in that breeding ground for germs,'' he said.

Sanitary management at public toilets throughout the country was badly in need of improvement, Mr Anuthin added.

Good to see the Minister is doing his bit for public hygiene by opening the doors with his foot, :D (that's considerate for the next person who walks in, guv) and for the much-hyped "water crisis" by encouraging others to leave taps running and presumably leaving the tap running himself when he walks out :D (kicking the handle with the "dirtiest part of the body"). A model for society to emulate, I'd say. :D

Presumably, the World Toilet Summit will encourage the govt. to spend millions of baht on a few solid marble dunnies, with gold-plated handles and Jim Thomson logo silken bog paper (in the convention hall), and all the motions will be passed "smooth as silk" (sorry couldn't resist that 'un :D ). The stray dogs will be rounded up with the beggars and packed off to Cambodia, a la APEC and Miss Universe, and everyone will be very impressed at Thailand being the "Top Bog Hub" of the world. :D

And one month later........everything will be back to normal. :o

Faecal coliforms were also found everywhere _ on the floors, toilet seats, water cisterns, taps and door knobs.

Installing one of Gentleman Scamp's "Bum Guns" in all public toilets would go a long into reducing the problem by putting all the nasties down into the commode itself, instead of on your own hands where it then goes onto everything.

One problem we've encountered here is that even with western style toilets, the locals (and some of our Hindu and Muslim employess) will still get up and squat on the seat.

Not only does this result in broken toilets seats all the time, but can be quite "messy" (I'm sure you can all imagine what I mean).

SANITATION / WORLD SUMMIT PREPARATIONS

City prepares to polish up its public toilets

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will give its public toilets a major facelift to bring them up to international standards ahead of a world toilet summit in Bangkok next year.

Deputy Public Health Minister Anuthin Charnveerakul said yesterday his ministry was working with local officials and health volunteers to inspect public toilets and ensure they meet sanitary standards.

The project is part of the country's preparation to host the world toilet summit scheduled for November next year.

According to a Health Department survey among 5,786 users at 1,100 public toilets in 20 provinces popular with tourists including Chiang Mai and Phuket, more than half of the toilets were unhygienic, smelly, damp and dirty. Faecal coliforms were also found everywhere _ on the floors, toilet seats, water cisterns, taps and door knobs.

The survey also found that improper use of toilets was rife. Many people, who apparently did not know how to use flush toilets, would lift up toilet lids and squat on the seats. Hundreds of respondents said they did not wash their hands after using public toilets.

Regular public toilet users tended to have gastroenteritis problems due to poor maintenance of the plumbing system and waste management, and insufficient supplies of handsoap, toilet paper and wet wipes, the survey report said.

Also, untreated human waste could cause many diseases including cholera, dysentery and diarrhoea, it said.

Health Department chief Somyot Charoensak called on local authorities to cooperate fully with the campaign to bring public toilets up to international standards.

--Bangkok Post 2005-06-11

Are Thais still using their left hand instead of toilet paper? That could be the main prob.

Study finds toilet habits lacking

The data arrive as the country prepares to host the second World Toilet Expo and Forum in November next year, spurring health officials to take action.

--The Nation 2005-06-11

You can just see the November headlines:-

........The World`s Second Pisspotical Event leaves organizers Flushed with Success as tourists flocked in. Seats in different colours were arranged for their comfort. There were no reports of any perching on the shiny porcelain and locals were said to have been bowled over by the hole event. :o

Perhaps the board administrators cold create a poll for our esteemed members regarding their toilet preferences. Do they prefer a high rise commode or a squatter? Do they wash with their left, wipe with their right, or address the issue ambidexterously either way?

Perhaps the board administrators cold create a poll for our esteemed members regarding their toilet preferences.  Do they prefer a high rise commode or a squatter?  Do they wash with their left, wipe with their right, or address the issue ambidexterously either way?

:o

A mate of mine broke his wrist a couple of years ago.He said one of the hardest things to contend with was wiping his arse with his wrong hand.I laughed like ######.he said..yeah, really funny...next time your in the WC...try using the other hand. He was right!bloody difficult!! :D