Usa Green Card/residency Question As Relates To Marriage

Hi,

My wife and I are in America and she is undergoing a ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS from a tourist visa to a permanent resident with a green card. So far so good as paperwork is being processed, biometrics data taken and now we are waiting on her interview.

She has been talking to one of her friends in Thailand who already has a green card and she is telling her we should get re-married in America. I have tried to patiently explain our marriage in Thailand, almost nine years ago, is as perfectly valid here as it is there according to what I understand at least of USA law. Am I wrong? Should we be getting married again here with new paperwork? Or perhaps her friend is confused and maybe we need to file copies of our paperwork from Thailand at the local courthouse here so it is on record.

Any insight or experience in this matter by anyone?

Thanks,

Dr. B.

As long as you've got all the paperwork signed sealed etc, and your marriage wasn't a party in the park, then you should be fine. Was it registered with the US Embassy in Bangkok? I know in my case I had to sign some papers and give over some photo copies at the British Embassy I presume it'd be the same with the US.

As long as you've got all the paperwork signed sealed etc, and your marriage wasn't a party in the park, then you should be fine. Was it registered with the US Embassy in Bangkok? I know in my case I had to sign some papers and give over some photo copies at the British Embassy I presume it'd be the same with the US.

It was a proper down to the Amphur and watch then use 20 stamps at 3 desks marriage.

However, you brought up something we did not do which was register it at the embassy. Perhaps that is what she is talking about or why I might need to register it at the local courthouse here.

Thanks for the input.

Dr. B

My Thai marriage certificate was never registered at any US Embassy and there was no requirement to do so. However as proof of marriage, the US and States governments will not recognize it unless it is properly translated into English, signed and sealed. When dealing with governments and agencies in the US, both the Thai and the English translated marriage certificate must be submitted together.

My wife and I are in America and she is undergoing a ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS from a tourist visa to a permanent resident with a green card. So far so good as paperwork is being processed, biometrics data taken and now we are waiting on her interview.

I am assuming that the "ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS" was possible based on a Thai marriage. If that was the case, then why get remarried. To get remarried, you two must first get a divorce. Once you two got divorced, then the current process of "ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS" becomes void. Only after you got remarried again, then you can start the "ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS" again.

You could use this opportunity to just get a divorce and not remarry her. :)

Edited by tripplejjj