US, UK Closes Embassies In Thailand, 'Very Concerned' About Violence

george

"The government has to continue to have a dialogue with the demonstrators and they need to reach an agreement on a path forward," Crowley said. Another idiotic statement from US Embassy. The government had a deal with the "demonstrators" and the "demonstrators" backed out. To call a paramilitary group with an armed redoubt in the middle of Bangkok for 40 days demonstrators is absurd. I applaud the Prime Minister for his patience in trying to resolve the situation but it is now beyond doubt that the red shirts are people who can not be trusted and it is time for the "demonstration" to end.

Well said and considered YugoBrian!!!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after all, a country like the USA which has 250+ years of experience in democracy may have some good experience and ideas; whereas Thailand has less than 80 years, and all of it fraught with coups, tension, and conflict. Thailand should realize it is in the infancy of democracy and needs to understand how to deal with it.

hahaha :D I think there's more experience to send their army. Just read a sticker on a car in the US: be for us or we will bring democracy to your country

Those seem like good words to live by.

Here's what the bumber sticker looks like on the US military vehicles, so that you'll know to get out of the way.

us_flag.bmp

:)

The West will not intervene at this time it has too many of its own problems to deal with. Thailand's a minor concern way down the list in that regard. The closing of the embassies is largely symbolic a caution to tourists to stay home and for embassy officials to stay safe. The west will deal with whatever gov't limps on but Thailand once relatively well respected is now more easily lumped in with Cambodia/Myanmar than any of the Asian Tigers it once liked to compare itself to. It's too bad b/c I visited in the good ol days and the country was pervaded by more than just beer soaked farang seeking some fun it also felt on the up n up... Guess that all fell apart with typical Thai style gangsta politics.

:) Most Western countries have increasingly huge gaps between a tiny elite minority and the much poorer majority, none more so than the USA. And lately it is the 'celebrity club' where money keeps coming to money. This problem is worldwide and, although Thailand suffers from it, Thailand is far from the worst. Look closer to home. :D

"The government has to continue to have a dialogue with the demonstrators and they need to reach an agreement on a path forward," Crowley said. Another idiotic statement from US Embassy. The government had a deal with the "demonstrators" and the "demonstrators" backed out. To call a paramilitary group with an armed redoubt in the middle of Bangkok for 40 days demonstrators is absurd. I applaud the Prime Minister for his patience in trying to resolve the situation but it is now beyond doubt that the red shirts are people who can not be trusted and it is time for the "demonstration" to end.

The PM has to step down, he is the one who cannot be trusted.

The so calles Red shirts are only trying to their rights.

It would be wise for both sides to ask for and use (perhaps privately so Thailand can save face as an independent nation) the assistance of USA mediation -- after all, a country like the USA which has 250+ years of experience in democracy may have some good experience and ideas; whereas Thailand has less than 80 years, and all of it fraught with coups, tension, and conflict. Thailand should realize it is in the infancy of democracy and needs to understand how to deal with it.

Ah, democracy US-style...

Do you mean like George W, got into power the first time having lost both the electoral and the popular vote?

Or are you referring to the fact that they threw out the British?

Or the conflict between North and South?

Or to the fact that they wiped out as many of the Indian tribes?

Or to the use of slaves?

Wouldn't think Thailand needs that kind of solution. The USA has many great qualities, and I have close family who are American, but your suggestion is not a good one.

Keep talking about the great abuses committed by the US...Do you recall the manner in which the British treated the Indian people? Thankfully for you that you are not speaking German today.

It would be wise for both sides to ask for and use (perhaps privately so Thailand can save face as an independent nation) the assistance of USA mediation -- after all, a country like the USA which has 250+ years of experience in democracy may have some good experience and ideas; whereas Thailand has less than 80 years, and all of it fraught with coups, tension, and conflict. Thailand should realize it is in the infancy of democracy and needs to understand how to deal with it.

Do you mean like George W, got into power the first time having lost both the electoral and the popular vote?

Or to the use of slaves?

Wouldn't think Thailand needs that kind of solution. The USA has many great qualities, and I have close family who are American, but your suggestion is not a good one.

America is not to blame for the current problem in Thailand. This is a class struggle and the US is doing the best it can to stayh neutral.

Edited by sanget

Or to the use of slaves?

America is not to blame for the current problem in Thailand. This is a class struggle and the US is doing the best it can to stayh neutral.

it would however be interesting to see if the u.s. took a different stance on things if say thailand was thought to be holding wmd and their was a significant large amount of oil in the area.

or mabe they just dont fancy it this time around, it being rather close to another little country called "vietnam". :)

Funny thing... for all the US/UK bashing there's hardly a Chula / Thammasat grad around that isn't dying to do grad work at a top name US/UK school and the elite Thai ladies really drool if the elite Thai boy was properly finished at an American or UK prep school and did their undergrad overseas as well. That's a free pass into the yellow team just pick the lady of your choice from among the best off of BKK and opportunity awaits if you are politically inclined. If you have no political inclinations pick a swooning lady marry her and settle down to a choice position in a country with few educated elites or tired of the same ol' crap back home... remain overseas as a well paid ex-pat.

P.S. R U A FARANG? AVOID UNFRIED DURIAN :)

Or to the use of slaves?

Keep talking about the great abuses committed by the US...Do you recall the manner in which the British treated the Indian people? Thankfully for you that you are not speaking German today.

Nothing wrong with speaking German. I believe only one vote decided which language the USA would adopt as its national language and the language which missed out was German.Anyway I suggest you learn Spanish as it will the USA's language of the majority in the near future.As always "GOD" bless America.

Its not an overreaction considering the location. Now the obvious question, will Thai immigration give US and UK people any slack in extension applications for those who need embassy documents but can't get them due to closures?

no chance!

you will probably get a reply somewhere along the lines of. well it was up to your embassies to take the desicion to close, nothing to do with us and whats going on in the country at the moment.

oh and btw, thats 500 baht x1, x2, x3............ for overstaying on your visa!

Not sure you are right IF the closings last a long time. There is precedence for immigration to make allowances for political problems.

The death of Seh-Daeng is pulling Thailand from the verge of civil war instead of plunging the country into it at least for now.

If both U.S. and U.K. embassies wanted to close their embassies, they should have done that since the eve of April 10 Bloodbath or the grenade attack on anti-Red protesters at Saladang.

Thank you Oh Great America. What would we do without your guidance? :)

Every time your ass is in the vise you come running and begging to us Yanks.

With out us you be speaking German right now :D

I was just preparing some anti us flack with late -evening glee when I remembered, hold on, the US fred my dad in his German eastern prussian stalag just when food was getting so scarce and they even sent him on his way back to francewith all my uncles , and had it been the rRssians I wouldn't be here typing away now (especially not with soviet computers)

Or to the use of slaves?

I agree as a us citizen. We are far from a democratic society(our corporations pretty much run the show). Yes, I love my country , those bush lovers would love to say i am unpatriotic. Do you really think that we would allow armed people to hold up in times square for 40 days? In the last 80 years we have invaded(post ww2) at least 8 countries, but I believe the number is higher-I will have to research it further. How many countries has thailand invaded? I laugh when I read there has been no tension or conflict in this perfect democracy I live in. The civil rights movement sure was smooth sailing just to name one . Cuba, korea, vietnam, nicaragua, panama, iraq, afghanistan(I agree with this one), Laos, several african countries, the list goes on. Please think just a little, before posting.

My Thai daughter-in-law and I worked hard for her visa to join my son in UK. She arrived here 6 months ago, thank goodness. Her entire family remains in Bangkok, and I do not appreciate the facetious comments made about this frightening situation.

They are lovely people who welcomed us to the wedding of my son and daughter-in-law in Bangkok. We stayed on Silom, took our children to play in Lumpini Park, had our wedding clothes made by a charming tailor on Silom, bought silk scarves from a lady nearby, and the wedding was held in a hotel just off Silom. Every time there are pictures of the barricades set up by the Red faction, I recognise places we enjoyed.

All these small businesses that welcomed us must be devastated by the Red blockades.

The family stayed with us in UK in February to celebrate the reunion of their daughter/sister with my son. I think all the time of the dangers they must be now facing.

Please respond seriously to the situation and keep us informed about what is happening.

If your after regular news regarding the situation I suggest you read the daily update threads which are not open to response. Open forums are subject to flippant comments (such as those you didnt like) grading all the way up to those who consider themselves experts on Thai social history and politics. Thats pretty much the nature of a forum.

Thank you Oh Great America. What would we do without your guidance? :)

Every time your ass is in the vise you come running and begging to us Yanks.

With out us you be speaking German right now :D

Very well said hardy1943. I think they forget.

forget, know! i think you old chaps from the otherside of the pond are the ones suffering from memory lapse.

was it or was it not for the fact, that if the japs hadnt bombed the crap out of you at pearl harbour. youd still be sitting or your backsides and still giving hitler the benefit of the doubt. world war 2 started in 1939 and it took you how long for the penny to drop and get your act into gear. :D

Edited by tigerfish

Good thing I got my wife over here (USA) before this went down.

Yeah real good for her, until some mad bast_rd blows up a couple of buildings with the chance you will be in one with your wife, The USA and the Uk still is high high alert for indiscriminate terrorist attack, how lucky your wife is to be safe in the USA, Not. At least in Thailand they know where this mad stuff is happening.

:)

Or to the use of slaves?

Clinton set down with the IRA for a week and it worked for you.

I thought you septics were taking the piss, but <deleted> you actually believe that Clinton dealt with the IRA, and that the USA saved Europe in WWII. :)Would you like to buy London Bridge?

As an American, I now find it ironic when I hear my government make statements such as both sides should settle disputes through peaceful negotiations. The USA's behavior with Iraq and their weapons of mass destruction (where this attack ended disrupting the lives of thousands of Iraqi's) should have never occured with such a country that likes to think of themselves as a "role model" for democracy.

I feel Abhisit tried to settle this dispute through "peaceful means"; meanwhile the Reds managed to keep the capital city hostage.