US, UK Closes Embassies In Thailand, 'Very Concerned' About Violence

george

The most dangerous countries

The Maple Croft terrorism index includes 196 countries. Of these, nine counts of extreme risk countries in the 2010 index. The countries are:

1st Iraq

2nd Afghanistan

3rd Pakistan

4th Somalia

5th Lebanon

6th India

7th Algeria

8th Colombia

9th Thailand

Yeah, this is a real credible list. With North Korea, China, Yemen, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Burma, Iran, and other rogue nations noticeably absent from the top ten, this list and this post have all the credibility of a 200 baht note. I honestly can't believe that Israel isn't on there! (yes, I'm being facetious.)

Oh, now I get it ... Maple Croft ... global climate change, carbon-footprinting etc., all the markings of a highly biased, academia-based left wing outfit. Say no more, say no more, say no more ... as the Monty Python skit goes.

Edited by Spee

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm supposed to pick up my daughter's passport an our embassy on Thursday, don't know if I'll be able to, not sure how I'm going to get her out of the country without it.

There's a statement by the US Embassy posted earlier to this thread advising all of us that presently the Embassy's US Citizens Services are available in emergencies only. No details were provided in the post of the news report, but I expect you have some phone numbers and the email address of the Embassy, Citizens Services in particular.

I consider Citizens Services to be an essential function of the Embassy and its boss DEPSTATE, however, the DEPSTATE always has made clear that Citizens Services at any embassy are not a principal function of the the purpose of an embassy, which is diplomacy with the host government, so I'm concerned for you that Citizens Services (which have assisted me immensely in ordinary times in Korea and in the People's Republic of China) and which are supplemental to the Embassy may not be available during this time of evacuation of non-emergency staff and their families from Bangkok.

I'd guess you'd need to find out what "emergency" means to the Embassy and its bosses in Washington.

I truly hope you can get your daughter to safety asap without difficulty or having to deal with unavailable Embassy assistance. (If it might be encouraging, I was in Phuket during the tsunami and the DEPSTATE in Washington two days after called my home in the US to ask if they'd heard from me, which of course they had.)

I don't understand why the Embassy can't set up temporary offices away from the "war zone" like near Ekamai or On Nut far away from the violent areas. But maybe they just can't get into their office anymore now to pick up some rubber stamps and other important documents. from the USA Embassy website: MESSAGE TO THE AMERICANS (USA People) IN THAILAND

Town Hall meeting: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. at the S31 Hotel, 545 Sukhumvit 31, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok, in the large ballroom.

You are invited to attend a Town Hall meeting on Tuesday. Ambassador Eric G. John, along with other officials from the Embassy, will be present to discuss the current situation in Bangkok more details: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/051810townhall_meeting.html

I don't understand why the Embassy can't set up temporary offices away from the "war zone" like near Ekamai or On Nut far away from the violent areas.

Are you serious? Aside from the fact that the embassy is effectively "US soil" and you can't just go around changing shop without diplomatic protocol, the most important priority for the embassy staff is to ensure safety. That includes not only the staff itself but also any citizens who require services. There are just enough crackpots amongst the Red thuggery, there is no way to tell what might happen.

I feel badly for the previous posters who had a need to get into the embassy. But as the saying goes, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Hopefully this is to be resolved soon and the embassy will reopen its doors with only a minimum of additional time. Good luck.

How about Swedish Embassy? Any info if they work tomorrow or not?

They are open but there are long queues for visa applications, and it is not possible to enter by car from lower Sukhumwit, have to walk or take a back entrance via opposite sois. The entrance down from the expressway to upper Sukhumwit was open as of 9.10 this morning, not sure if it is still that way.

Many soldiers but no protesters or violence in the area as of now.

I don't understand why the Embassy can't set up temporary offices away from the "war zone" like near Ekamai or On Nut far away from the violent areas.

Are you serious? Aside from the fact that the embassy is effectively "US soil" and you can't just go around changing shop without diplomatic protocol, the most important priority for the embassy staff is to ensure safety. That includes not only the staff itself but also any citizens who require services. There are just enough crackpots amongst the Red thuggery, there is no way to tell what might happen.

I feel badly for the previous posters who had a need to get into the embassy. But as the saying goes, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Hopefully this is to be resolved soon and the embassy will reopen its doors with only a minimum of additional time. Good luck.

Agreed, as inconvenienced as this makes me in the k-1 visa process, the safety of embassy staff is the only important thing right now. i just hope this ends soon, too many lives taken.

I don't really know but I have read numerous news about the US of A's concern in what is happening around Bangkok recently. So far, if I may put it correctly, the US of A is one country which seems to be acting so panicky (or involved) in what is going on. I am not that surprised about this coz America, as what I've heard, is one of those countries which has supplied information to Thailand about terrorists mixing with the protesters. That is a little bit something to consider; and that too might be the reason why America is always in the picture lately. This makes my mind twitch from disturbing thoughts…

Then, I have also read somewhere that the US of A has been visible in almost all affairs of Thailand – especially when Thailand has started to take heavy tolls in their political bickering since the Thaksin brouhaha way way back. Have you ever wondered why those associated with Thaksin have had the nerve to ask for US assistance? Have you forgotten how they've marched to the US embassy and deliver a request letter asking Hillary C. to meddle or become an arbiter of some sort? Our outgoing president does that too. As per the news, she even has thrown a lavish 1-million-peso party in New York for her friends in Washington while most of my countrymen have been starving almost to death. Yeah, what a nerve! And so, we, Filipinos, seem to know the little whys concerning all these.

Haven't you known that only Americans are allowed to own properties 100% in Thailand? Yes, the US of A has earned (or been awarded?) this favor. I am just not sure whether it is embedded in a treaty or something, but who cares! We, Filipinos, have a good taste of this American…what? You bet, American colonialism! And that sucks big time! Yes, it is true that our history shows a hel_l lot of America. We are always thankful for the influence in our English, but that is just about it! It is like America going overboard after that, sinking the Philippines down into the deeps.

I am thinking that this MIGHT be one, if not the main, reason why this political chaos is going on in Thailand. Who doesn't know how America does politics in a highly tactical way? As what a song says (which, by the way, is American composed), "…And somewhere down the road…Our roads are gonna cross again…It doesn't really matter when…" Or, perhaps, it doesn't really matter what cost it takes…And probably, it is not just America at all, but all the powers that be who like to benefit from Thailand's grandeur. Indeed, some people just think that life is getting cheaper by the day…Duh!

The king of thailand was born in USA so maybe there is a special place in his heart for the country

i wonder how many thais or no it all expats that even know this fact??

I don't really know but I have read numerous news about the US of A's concern in what is happening around Bangkok recently. So far, if I may put it correctly, the US of A is one country which seems to be acting so panicky (or involved) in what is going on. I am not that surprised about this coz America, as what I've heard, is one of those countries which has supplied information to Thailand about terrorists mixing with the protesters. That is a little bit something to consider; and that too might be the reason why America is always in the picture lately. This makes my mind twitch from disturbing thoughts…

Then, I have also read somewhere that the US of A has been visible in almost all affairs of Thailand – especially when Thailand has started to take heavy tolls in their political bickering since the Thaksin brouhaha way way back. Have you ever wondered why those associated with Thaksin have had the nerve to ask for US assistance? Have you forgotten how they've marched to the US embassy and deliver a request letter asking Hillary C. to meddle or become an arbiter of some sort? Our outgoing president does that too. As per the news, she even has thrown a lavish 1-million-peso party in New York for her friends in Washington while most of my countrymen have been starving almost to death. Yeah, what a nerve! And so, we, Filipinos, seem to know the little whys concerning all these.

Haven't you known that only Americans are allowed to own properties 100% in Thailand? Yes, the US of A has earned (or been awarded?) this favor. I am just not sure whether it is embedded in a treaty or something, but who cares! We, Filipinos, have a good taste of this American…what? You bet, American colonialism! And that sucks big time! Yes, it is true that our history shows a hel_l lot of America. We are always thankful for the influence in our English, but that is just about it! It is like America going overboard after that, sinking the Philippines down into the deeps.

I am thinking that this MIGHT be one, if not the main, reason why this political chaos is going on in Thailand. Who doesn't know how America does politics in a highly tactical way? As what a song says (which, by the way, is American composed), "…And somewhere down the road…Our roads are gonna cross again…It doesn't really matter when…" Or, perhaps, it doesn't really matter what cost it takes…And probably, it is not just America at all, but all the powers that be who like to benefit from Thailand's grandeur. Indeed, some people just think that life is getting cheaper by the day…Duh!

The king of thailand was born in USA so maybe there is a special place in his heart for the country

i wonder how many thais or no it all expats that even know this fact??

I knew this. he was educated in America too, he left America when he was 6 / 7 years old. I have often joked with my Thai friends that there King is a good American , I know the Kings name is not to be taken in Vain but they are good friends and it goes both-ways i get ribbed because I am a falang

Edited by Thongkorn

Are you still blaming a nation (the US) that left your country's shores before you were born for your woes? This is the national pastime of the Philippino (next to spending their last piso on karaoke) - blaming anyone and everyone for their sorry, broken, dismally corrupt and utterly un-salvageable failed nation state. In this case you have merely substituted your sad country for a country that has given you some modicum of opportunity - why are you in Thailand anyway? Gee, let me guess... ;-)

You're working illegally because Phils does not have employment

You're living with a farang who knows the score and does not fancy getting mugged, killed or simply the poor value and huge expense in Phils.

America doesn't colonize, it never has. It builds bases to extend its influence. Its cheaper.

I guarantee you miss that the BEST that the Philippines ever saw was during the US "occupation" of your sad little nation. the Philippines: 30% unemployment, a birthrate rivaling Africa. An educational system that is second to that of communist Vietnam. A nation where poverty is African in proportion - and the Chinese overlords and their Philippine minions could care less. You are literally born into slavery when born a Philippino and that is entirely YOUR decision and your ineffective governance.

Then there is the national character of the people. I have never met a people so willing to seriously harm another for gain of virtually nothing.

Were you aware that in the mid 1970s that Thailand and Philippines were in parity regarding GDP, per capita income? Look at your country and look at you - not living in that country. Wonder why...America huh.

Why are YOU in Thailand?

Edited by bangkokburning

Are you serious? Aside from the fact that the embassy is effectively "US soil" and you can't just go around changing shop without diplomatic protocol, the most important priority for the embassy staff is to ensure safety.

I guess the Westin Sukhumvit is now American soil?

But yeah, get registered and you'll get those types of updates and you won't have to go on guesses and opinions of the TV crowd.

:)

• 1 month later...

A typical over-reaction from both the nations..................... :D

I am surprised the Americans are not evacuating people from the roof of the embassy................. :)

Given the thin skin of the Thai people in response to perceived insults it was prudent to close to avoid giving any opportunity for the Thai people to misconstrue any gesture, wink, nod or smile.