Police Unusual Activity In Udon

ray23

A rider in first homes currently has the Police at his house checking his bike for violations.

This is very unusual for them to go to someones home.

Just reporting what was reported to me.

As it turns out it was the tax guys, the individual reporting it at his home, was nicked for 25K with penalties and given one week to pay or lose the bike. They didn't take it with them. At least one guy was specifically named in the village beyond the person they were talking to.

It appears they may be working from a list, where they got that list I have no idea. But they promised to be back.

I know they have hit shops before but this seems to be a change in tactics.

A rumor is second hand information not form the guy it is happening to.

Edited by ray23

Sounds like the bike owner will wish it had been a rumor. :)

No Surprise...

You would expect to get nabbed for not paying duty in your own country...why should it be different here?

Ok ....I know this is Thailand, but really there can be no surprise to get a knock on your door if you try avoid taxes or duty.

Reinforces once again tho that you need make 100% sure what u are riding is 100% legit.

I don't buy them without a book. But you pay a lot more and few want to pay the difference on resale.

Darn good reminder to go pay the tax. Better then them seizing the bike

No Surprise...

You would expect to get nabbed for not paying duty in your own country...why should it be different here?

Ok ....I know this is Thailand, but really there can be no surprise to get a knock on your door if you try avoid taxes or duty.

Reinforces once again tho that you need make 100% sure what u are riding is 100% legit.

And how would you know ??

Way too many bent books and restamped frames..

Before you pays ur money get it checked out at land and transport to verify its all ok. If they certify its ok then u are "almost" guaranteed its legit. (note the "almost"....TiT)

No Surprise...

Simple- take your green book to the Land Transport Office and have them check it. Worst they can do is take the book. At least you'll know if you're book is legit or not.

As far as restamped frames and engines- it's usually pretty obvious when this has been done- just take a close look at your frame and engine numbers- it's pretty easy to see if the original numbers were ground off and new ones stamped.

Finally, while I'm sure this may vary from one LTA Office to the next, here in Bangkok and in Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen where I've bought and sold bikes they are really quite laid back over in the inspection area and I don't think you'd run much risk showing them a bike and asking them if the engine and frame numbers are legit. (The inspectors are not police so I think the chance of a bike getting seized at the LTA is pretty slim).

Then again, we've all heard from LivinLOS that the LTA in Phuket is a bitch and seems to make up the rules as they go, so what might pass in one province might not pass in Phuket. (I've not heard of any other province being as difficult as Phuket btw.)

Ride On!

Tony

TT Tis Thailand guys you can only do your best, But a new one these days at authorized dealer is probably the only way to sure. But, if they are accepted a legal at transfer, not much more you can do.

But here in Udon we simply have bikes being used where the import tax has not been paid. That is what they are going after. Not bikes for not having books.

What made this unusual was they were going to peoples houses. That's new, bike in shop and those caught on the road is all I have heard of before. I also don't hear report of it happening anywhere but Udon.

No Surprise...

Simple- take your green book to the Land Transport Office and have them check it. Worst they can do is take the book. At least you'll know if you're book is legit or not.

As far as restamped frames and engines- it's usually pretty obvious when this has been done- just take a close look at your frame and engine numbers- it's pretty easy to see if the original numbers were ground off and new ones stamped.

Finally, while I'm sure this may vary from one LTA Office to the next, here in Bangkok and in Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen where I've bought and sold bikes they are really quite laid back over in the inspection area and I don't think you'd run much risk showing them a bike and asking them if the engine and frame numbers are legit. (The inspectors are not police so I think the chance of a bike getting seized at the LTA is pretty slim).

Then again, we've all heard from LivinLOS that the LTA in Phuket is a bitch and seems to make up the rules as they go, so what might pass in one province might not pass in Phuket. (I've not heard of any other province being as difficult as Phuket btw.)

Ride On!

Tony

As Tony says, its that simple. When I bought my Ducati, we had the Greenbook checked at two different DMV's (Land Transport Office) BKK & CEI and it came up with a clear history with all import tax paid. It would be pretty hard to forge Ducati engine and frame numbers, as they're embedded by a computerised punch/stylus type deal.

As far as restamped frames and engines- it's usually pretty obvious when this has been done- just take a close look at your frame and engine numbers- it's pretty easy to see if the original numbers were ground off and new ones stamped

Obvious ?? If its done well its impossible to tell without special x-raying..

Even my local tin shack boys can do it so you simply would not know.. Only the frame paint is where they get lazy and dont get a perfect match.

Even with “special” X-ray it can be very difficult to determine if a frame number is real or fake, I have seen shops welding over the frame number and than remove the unnecessary metal by powertools and finally smoothing the who area. Even a forensic expert would have difficulty telling it's fake or not.

As far as restamped frames and engines- it's usually pretty obvious when this has been done- just take a close look at your frame and engine numbers- it's pretty easy to see if the original numbers were ground off and new ones stamped

Obvious ?? If its done well its impossible to tell without special x-raying..

Even my local tin shack boys can do it so you simply would not know.. Only the frame paint is where they get lazy and dont get a perfect match.

So who cares? It's not like the Thai Customs Police are out x-raying bikes :) As long as the Land Transport Inspector says your bike and book are ok you've really got nothing to worry about. Much ado about nothing IMO...

Even with “special” X-ray it can be very difficult to determine if a frame number is real or fake, I have seen shops welding over the frame number and than remove the unnecessary metal by powertools and finally smoothing the who area. Even a forensic expert would have difficulty telling it's fake or not.

Not without cutting or boring through the metal and using a boroscope to see any kind of built up metal layering.

Not without cutting or boring through the metal and using a boroscope to see any kind of built up metal layering.

I said difficult not impossible

I said difficult not impossible

Oh gawd relax. I wasn't sticking a knife in your back :)

If you can transfer the bike into your name you have a good book. But what guys are getting nailed for is not paying import fees.

Yeah, LOL, sorry Ray, your thread has been hijacked by a different issue.

Anyway, I'm curious, how do the Thai police know the addresses of the guys who are riding untaxed bikes? Who's coming to their houses? Regular Thai Police or Thai Customs Police? Do the owners of these bikes actually provide their real addresses when they import their bikes? Even on my 100% legal bikes I'm not using my physical address for registration. Don't want greedy BIB knocking on my door for my occasional traffic violation :)

Ride On!

Tony

If you can transfer the bike into your name you have a good book. But what guys are getting nailed for is not paying import fees.

Yeah theres lots of guys who have a bike booked and in their name.. being told 20 - 50k now after the fact..

Only in Thailand !!

When Thailand allows import used bikes from any country with fair import duty? Tax this toyota tanks ,give second hand bikes a chance.Let Ebay finally in for what we need to wait.

Jeez would that be the day !!

Just look at USA or UK ebay.. Makes you weep..

Best I can tell they just went through the neighborhood looking for big bikes. Tax guys, that did sieze one in an adjacent neighborhood. Used a tow truck bet that was sweet.