Thirty-five Dead In Worsening Bangkok Violence

webfact

That just shows how ignorant and brainwashed that you are.

The PPP did NOT win a majority of seats in the last election. They were short of the majority to form government by themselves. Both the PPP and Democrats got about 40% of the vote, but the PPP won more seats. The PPP used a coalition of smaller parties to gain a majority and elect Samak as PM.

Then Samak was stripped of being PM because he had two paid jobs (don't you think a PM should just concentrate on being PM) and lied in court. He could have been elected PM again the very next day, but the PPP and the smaller parties elected Somchai (Thaksin's brother in law).

The the PPP executive (not all MPs) were banned after being caught on video committing electoral fraud. By-elections were held to replace banned MPs. The PTP (new PPP) won very few of the by-elections (it seems the people were a bit sick of them).

At this point, most of the ex-PPP MPs went to the new PTP, but Newin's group formed a new party called the BJT.

Newin's group and some other smaller parties formed a coalition with the Democrats, giving them the majority of MPs to vote Abhisit as PM.

You are right the PPP did not have a majority of seats at last election , but close , and formed a coalition .

Thats how in UK Cameron became prime minister , what's wrong with that ?

Now imagine Cameron is found corrupt and again assume the torries are disbanded , new parties created ,

some faction switching side and so on .

Do you think that new general elections would be called in UK for the whole parliament or not ?

Well if you do not , you have been too long in Thailand , and forgot that democracy comes

with a popular mandate

All it would take was Cameron resigning, and so with him goes his cabinet: no government.

But since all the MPs, or those that haven't resigned prior to by-elections, would still be there under any banner.

Next is an attempt by Tories to elect a new PM via parliamentary vote.

If New Dems decide Tories are not up to the job, they vote NO.

And after a vote or two, best try, Labour and New Dems make a coalition and get a majority of seats.

End of story. New Dems or Labour voted for a New PM. All legal and above board.

I was talking about Cameron beeing impeached and the torries disbanded , to make the situation

similar . I think if not torries disbanded , the DPM would take over , simple as that .

To make the situation similar to Thailand , if as a result , an entire MP faction switched

side , lots of ppl would ask questions for sure , and elections would have to be called .

i understand what you are trying to say , that the PPP deserved to loose power because

of the corruption case . i could even agree . But loosing power is one thing , gaining power is

another , those are different things . I cant see a UK PM , accepting the job , without the parliament that voted for him

beeing entirely born from a general election . Otherwise no popular mandate .

In my view it is quite obvious . Of course we will never know , the UK dont have an article 237

and .... Cameron is not corrupt (I guess)

that's quite an interesting view, and might even pop up somehow in the future, but right now we have a big unsolved problem right here and it looks as if nobody want or can help to solve it.

wanting the protesters to go home is a lovely idea, but will not happen that easy, if ever

wanting the military to keep out is happening to a certain level, as this army leader is very different from all others before, with a good sense and respect for human life, rather then just following demands without thinking about the consequences.

and yes, I truly believe, that there are times, when a commander has to have the courage to deny requests, if they would bring unnecessary casualties.

anyway, to my understanding, the only one to have the authority to give orders to the army chief is HMK - please correct me, if Im wrong.

I just hope this will not put him into trouble later

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that's quite an interesting view, and might even pop up somehow in the future, but right now we have a big unsolved problem right here and it looks as if nobody want or can help to solve it.

wanting the protesters to go home is a lovely idea, but will not happen that easy, if ever

wanting the military to keep out is happening to a certain level, as this army leader is very different from all others before, with a good sense and respect for human life, rather then just following demands without thinking about the consequences.

and yes, I truly believe, that there are times, when a commander has to have the courage to deny requests, if they would bring unnecessary casualties.

anyway, to my understanding, the only one to have the authority to give orders to the army chief is HMK - please correct me, if Im wrong.

I just hope this will not put him into trouble later

no , you are correct . By now i dont see much other alternative either

Ok , thats your views ... Still the PM has no popular mandate

Anyway I dont think many thais will vote for a party in power that is not

stepping in to prevent the killing of innocent thais

second that, and it is not only that they are not stepping in to prevent, they try to increase the pressure and the killing

we will have to wait and see, if the party is still around for the next election - they just got around the first time, but it looks more sinister this time.

but where is the shining knight to come and stop the mayhem ??

in england we could pray for a resurrection of King Arthur !

here we are waiting for HMK to repeat the wonder from 1992, but will it happen ?

Yes I think it would happen the way you say . And there is no entire party dissolution in the UK , nor anywhere else in the world as far as I know , except Thailand .

Party dissolution is irrelevant. It may make a difference at the next election when someone goes to blindly vote for the PPP.

Most of the MPs continued on in another party. By-elections were held for the banned MPs. The people are still represented.

Agreed. The reds are going to get very few votes. :)

"popular mandate" is a useless term.

Edited by whybother

This is a military/military backed government. Armies fight wars, if not with other countries then their own people will do. It's no surprise then that we are where we are. And this also explains why the red shirts have not been cleared, it suits those that are in control.

Every government in the world is backed by the army from protesting insurgent thugs. Otherwise they wouldn't be the government.

That's why Thaksin wants to control the upcoming army reshuffle. He had control of all the other "checks and balance" offices. Once he has control of the army, that is his dictatorship cemented.

????

Dictators using the army to crackdown protests.

That why Abhisit want to control the upcoming army reshuffle.

And how should Thaksin in anyway be able to do it? Could be only possible when a party close to him wins in a snap-elections, a election where Abhisit would have no chance to get re-elected/re-appointed as PM, right?

That is a dictatorship. You support them.

second that, and it is not only that they are not stepping in to prevent, they try to increase the pressure and the killing

we will have to wait and see, if the party is still around for the next election - they just got around the first time, but it looks more sinister this time.

but where is the shining knight to come and stop the mayhem ??

in england we could pray for a resurrection of King Arthur !

here we are waiting for HMK to repeat the wonder from 1992, but will it happen ?

HOW MANY TIMES have they been offered a way out?

The reds want to negotiate, but they keep attacking. Who's keeping up the pressure?

I assume that both parties can reach a compromise. I would suggest that the coup takers are rounded up and receive a mandatory 20 year prison term. That would calm down the people. The genius strategist that figured out that taking out Seh Daeng would be a good idea can always become a PM, after all Chvalit became also a PM after making immense strategic errors in a clash with laos.

What amazes me is not the rage of the people, they have been taken for granted too long, it is the utmost stupidity within the Abhisit government notably Suthep. Suthep has shown that he is unsuitable for the position that he holds. Blunder after blunder he has made. This government like to refer every time to the English system. But they forget to mention that in England, the army does not meddle in the choice that elected representatives make and d not force them to go against the wishes of the people and join another party. Those politicians wanting to change alliances will resign and people can elet a new representative.

The Amy is never used in controlling or dispersing a crown. No snipers either. The comment that Abhisit made in his explanation to the UN makes it even more shocking. He says that reds dressed as police and army has mingled with the army and is doing the killing. Wow.... Interesting to know that the Army and the police do not recognize outsiders. That might explain why the army cannot win and misbehave in the South.

When did Abhisit say that..? can you give a reference, or is it just more bullshit...?

I assume that both parties can reach a compromise. I would suggest that the coup takers are rounded up and receive a mandatory 20 year prison term. That would calm down the people. The genius strategist that figured out that taking out Seh Daeng would be a good idea can always become a PM, after all Chvalit became also a PM after making immense strategic errors in a clash with laos.

What amazes me is not the rage of the people, they have been taken for granted too long, it is the utmost stupidity within the Abhisit government notably Suthep. Suthep has shown that he is unsuitable for the position that he holds. Blunder after blunder he has made. This government like to refer every time to the English system. But they forget to mention that in England, the army does not meddle in the choice that elected representatives make and d not force them to go against the wishes of the people and join another party. Those politicians wanting to change alliances will resign and people can elet a new representative.

The Amy is never used in controlling or dispersing a crown. No snipers either. The comment that Abhisit made in his explanation to the UN makes it even more shocking. He says that reds dressed as police and army has mingled with the army and is doing the killing. Wow.... Interesting to know that the Army and the police do not recognize outsiders. That might explain why the army cannot win and misbehave in the South.

You forgot about Northern Ireland?

Firing at unarmed civilians??? Bloody Sunday in Derry is the most public of many incidents in Northern Ireland. That was of course gun happy Red Berets and then there was the cover up, 40 years before they granted a public enquiry! At the end of which was an admission of guilt by the British Government! Excuse the pun but......Those in glasshouses really shouldn't throw stones!

This is the video of the baby used as human shield. I have taken this video today at 14.15 h under the expressway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjT7ZKkq5yQ

Please spread it! I give permission that it can be used! Those Reds are insane!!!

you can follow our twitter updates under

http://twitpic.com/photos/freakingcat

I think you should submit it yourself so they can contact you and stuff.

http://upload.news.bbc.cs.streamuk.com/

BBC just called and did a phone interview, they will probably show the insane video with the baby in their news!

I hope the BBC dosn't spin the story and blame the Gov'nt

some basic info for those who don't understand it :

"the reds" are not a party, that is a movement, as were "the yellows" some time ago

a "term" exists in schools, universities, offices...,

knowledge of basic english would help when posting !

One can ask himself what is the magnitude of the sense of injustice as perceived by the protesters

who have a lot of followers in Isaan , that they are willing to die for their cause ?

Oh yes , forgot , they all want to die for Thaksin , so am told by posters here .

or 500 bahts per day , i heard that one too

It would be comical to hear it again... if not so tragic .

Sir, I've cleaned up your English a little bit (not completely but a little bit.) and rephrased your question for you. "One can ask "oneself", "What is the magnitude of the sense of injustice felt by the wealthy Ruling Class Elites and the Military, who have a lot of followers in Bangkok, are they willing to die for their cause?" How do you like the sound of that? Can you explain something to me? What is the difference if you have a lot of followers in Issan or Bangkok? The question is rhetorical but I ask it just to point out your prejudice and bias. However, I do think you underestimate the degree and the extent of support for the protesters. It extends well beyond Isaan, sunny boy.

And please explain all this gibberish about "wanting to die for Thaksin for 500 (that would be Baht, not Bahts per day.) You think it would be funny to hear this statement again, if it weren't so tragic? What is your point sir? Do you have a point?

I think all the rest of us got his point... and agreed, would you sign up to die for 500 baht per day and a death bonus of 200,000baht... your check is in the post sir..!!

Yes I think it would happen the way you say . And there is no entire party dissolution in the UK , nor anywhere else in the world as far as I know , except Thailand .

Party dissolution is irrelevant. It may make a difference at the next election when someone goes to blindly vote for the PPP.

Most of the MPs continued on in another party. By-elections were held for the banned MPs. The people are still represented.

Since the democrats got slightly more votes than the PPP, he has slightly more populare mandate than Samak or Somchai had.

When did Abhisit say that..? can you give a reference, or is it just more bullshit...?

if I'm not gravely mistaken, than it was in his email to Ban Ki Moon.

just check in the Nation today

A couple of weeks back while everybody was waxing vitriolic about the intrusion on their little cabbage patch by bugs wearing red shirts, I did point out that those bugs and their sympathisers amount to a little over 65% of the Thai population and that excludes the Monks.

The unfortunate decision of the self appointed elite to pursue a military solution after dabbling briefly with the only sensible option (for them that is) of establishing some form of government of national unity, is tantamount to offering Thaksin and the protestors the moral high ground.

How long are the protestors going to remain unarmed and unprotected while the military play hide and seek with live rounds? How long will it be before the insurgency becomes ten times or a hundred times larger than at present? At the moment it is hardly under control.

It is really annoying that the "string pullers" behind the regime are so insensitive they have failed to read the runes. Don't they realise what they have done? The best thing for Abhisit right now is to do a runner and leave these people to their fate. I am sure he has been forced kicking and screaming into this untenable situation as his previous record has been remarkably unsullied.

The most amusing comment so far concerns rejection of UN arbitration out of hand. Why??? Sorry, say that again!

You did mean 6.5% of the population din`nt you..???

This is a military/military backed government. Armies fight wars, if not with other countries then their own people will do. It's no surprise then that we are where we are. And this also explains why the red shirts have not been cleared, it suits those that are in control.

Every government in the world is backed by the army from protesting insurgent thugs. Otherwise they wouldn't be the government.

That's why Thaksin wants to control the upcoming army reshuffle. He had control of all the other "checks and balance" offices. Once he has control of the army, that is his dictatorship cemented.

????

Dictators using the army to crackdown protests.

That why Abhisit want to control the upcoming army reshuffle.

And how should Thaksin in anyway be able to do it? Could be only possible when a party close to him wins in a snap-elections, a election where Abhisit would have no chance to get re-elected/re-appointed as PM, right?

That is a dictatorship. You support them.

Money, corruption, intimidation, violence.

The Thaksin way.

You support him.

"the reds" are not a party, that is a movement, as were "the yellows" some time ago

Apologies, mr teacher. Maybe you need to go back to school.

Term: A word or group of words having a particular meaning.

Clarification: When I say "reds", I mean the current "red party" (PTP).

Edited by whybother

Women, kids and the elderly are aksed to leave rally by 3pm. Vehicle to take them home provided. Well, I hope they are welcomed outside the rally site not just by soldiers alone but nurses, psychologists and a couple of monks to give them a feeling of being treated well in Thai society. Some of them might have been in there for weeks, listening to radical speeches and seeing hate, shootings, fire and murder fro both sides. It won't be easy for many to coe back to regular life.

I feel sad for them. But I have no mercy for their rogue, bloodthirsty leaders and their fellow protesters who now turn to be looters.

it may come as surprise to you but they don't need your mercy.

what they need is being heard and validated.

I recently had a chat with a mid-aged thai woman who works at a Gov office in BKK.

cannot remember the exact question I asked but her response I remember well.

She said we are 80% red here.

Go figure.

And you believed her...why..? Did she give some type of proof.... I have a friend who believes everything Thai girls tell him too..... he is broke now..!

[but the reds DID NOT win a majority in the last election. Have you found the time to look at the results of the last election?

they certainly did win and therefore formed the government, with mr Somsak as PM, then their party was again dissolved in a similar way to the TRT, they again formed the government with the new party and then the PM was ousted for hosting a cooking show on TV while being PM, after that one group led by Mr. Newin Chidchob broke away and formed a coalition with the minority Ddemocrats.

just as a reminder : when the TRT was dissolved, the case was pending aginst the democrat party too, and even the then Coup leader wanted both parties to be dissolved, but that was not allowed to be.

They did not 'win', what they did was to gather a coalition of parties, the same as in the UK, Sweden etc. And the same as is in Thailand now.

And the party dissolvement was way after Samak had to step down for 1 day sue to his cooking show. When he was going to be voted back in Thaksin withdrew his support as Samak had too much of his own head and Thaksin instructed that Somchai should be new PM instead and it was put forward to the vote in the parliament.

Thaksin had enough of Samak and instructed that Somchai got elected?

OMG, that is dumbest yellow channel PAD propaganda, what a BS. No surprise that you also don't get the current events right.

Since the democrats got slightly more votes than the PPP, he has slightly more populare mandate than Samak or Somchai had.

regardless of who got more or less votes, or if he has or hasn't a popular vote, the actual situation is very critical and as he (and the ones behind him giving him the orders what to do) have shown no ability to solve the current crisis, how can more bloodshed be avoided ?

that's what the post is (or was) about, and so far there hasn't been any constructive idea, other then hoping to get HMK to be "Deus ex machina".

Does that mean, that nobody cares if another 5-6000 people are going to die ?

All the poor innocent protestors??? They declare war on the Government, try to impose their will on the rest of the country (us that democracy???). They are using old women and children as human shields, they are every bit as bad as the Taliban and that lot. I am sure if you ask the Taliban they will say they are fighting for the majority of the population too.

Where did you get this photo? After all, the BBC and CNN reporters, all on the ground, have said they have never seen the red shirts with guns??

I hate to say it, and I will ask my son who is a photo shop expert...but these guns do look a bit photo shopped in...

asking again, where did you get this photo?? what is the source?

Do these look photoshopped?

I am no weapons expert...but the first clip...does not look like a rifle to me...maybe some kind of launching thing for bottle rocket..dangerous, yes, but looks homemade...and no match for high powered or semi automatic weapons.

Second clip VERY unclear. I stand by BBC and CNN, imbedded reporters have said they have not yet seen reds with guns or rifles. sling shots, yes, bottle rockets yes, bamboo sticks, yes

From TV:

Korbsak calls Natthawut

PM's Secretary-General Korbsak Sabhavasu made talked to Natthawut Saikua over a phone at 4 pm, Thai News Agency reported.

Following the phone call, Natthawut held a meeting with other red-shirt leaders immediately.

FINALLY A SETTLEMENT?

Women, kids and the elderly are aksed to leave rally by 3pm. Vehicle to take them home provided. Well, I hope they are welcomed outside the rally site not just by soldiers alone but nurses, psychologists and a couple of monks to give them a feeling of being treated well in Thai society. Some of them might have been in there for weeks, listening to radical speeches and seeing hate, shootings, fire and murder fro both sides. It won't be easy for many to coe back to regular life.

I feel sad for them. But I have no mercy for their rogue, bloodthirsty leaders and their fellow protesters who now turn to be looters.

I recently had a chat with a mid-aged thai woman who works at a Gov office in BKK.

Go figure.

And you believed her...why..? Did she give some type of proof.... I have a friend who believes everything Thai girls tell him too..... he is broke now..!

the biggest mistake the yellow have made in this whole situation is continually underestimating red support both in BKK and country wide. One art from major paper said that in the evening over the past weeks... the numbers would often swell to 100,000 people. This not from a blogger, but a major publication. Low end 15,000, they said, but every evening big numbers...upwards of 100,000.

Apologies, mr teacher. Maybe you need to go back to school.

Term: A word or group of words having a particular meaning.

Clarification: When I say "reds", I mean the current "red party" (PTP).

And so much for the "support" PTP gives their red street mob (The Nation, today):

Earlier, the party allowed red-shirt people to gather at the party if they could not join the protest at Rajprasong.

The MPs included party spokesman Prompong Nopprit and Bangkok MP Wicharn Minchainan.

The abrupt closure of the party's door caused the red-shirt people there to become dissatisfied. They complained that the MPs left women and children without caring about their safety.

Go figure.

let me guess :

you would go and tell her to collect signed papers about it from everyone before you believe it?? :)

may I suggest not to come to Thailand, it would be a very hard live for you here, especially as a lot of people don't even know how to write or read yet.

Go figure.

the biggest mistake the yellow have made in this whole situation is continually underestimating red support both in BKK and country wide. One art from major paper said that in the evening over the past weeks... the numbers would often swell to 100,000 people. This not from a blogger, but a major publication. Low end 15,000, they said, but every evening big numbers...upwards of 100,000.

Not now for sure.

Edited by yoshiwara

In a Parliamentary democracy with essentially first past the post indeed, "popular mandate" means nothing.

As for the red party getting very few votes. Why?

You think for some strange reason the country is going to revolt against them because of this protest? Those that voted red, will continue to vote red. It would be as though we would assume that the South would not vote democrat because they believe that Abhisit has been weak on the yellows.

Negative selfish politics rule in Thailand. There are almost no swing voters in Thailand. They did vote once upon a time for promised policies and look where it got Thaksin.

An absolute majority. And look where that got him? All the way to court and eventually Dubai. There is only enough room for one superstar leader in this country, and some would say thank god that is the situation, a lot of reds may disagree and believe there is room for two.

The political situation is going back to normal where you vote for local crony and in the fears of the reds, the central government delivers virtually nothing to their regions. Abhisit might change that situation, but he has to overcome 80 years of perceived neglect in Isaan by the Dems.

So, back to the same old same old established rubbish where idiots like Suthep actually get a place at the top table. I am not saying that TRT was all that jazz either, but it was the start of manifesto politics, and then it all got corrupted. Abhisit seems to understand what he needs to do, it is dinosaurs like Suthep and plonkers like Kasit that are a ball and chain around him.

The most amusing comment so far concerns rejection of UN arbitration out of hand. Why??? Sorry, say that again!

I think most people will accept UN arbitration of the situation...*AFTER* the reds leave Bangkok and return home.

After all, once the completely fair and impartial UN comes to investigate the crisis, they no longer have any legitimate concern to stay in Bangkok. Their sole reason for being here was so that they could get an impartial investigation into April 10. (Oh, sorry...I guess it was charge Abhisit and Suthep for that crime without any supporting evidence.) Same, same in red speak though.

Reds want UN intervention? Offer to leave Bangkok and go home in exchange for it. You will probably be surprised at the support you get. People who commit crimes on both sides should not be absolved, and the government has already said they will reinstitute the road map if the reds leave.

Otherwise, their calls are nothing more than spin doctoring by a group of terrorists who don't like the fact that the oppressed are finally standing up to their bullying.

Money, corruption, intimidation, violence.

The Thaksin way.

You support him.

where from did you get that idea ???

there has never been any corruption, intimidation, violence in Thailand

how could Thaksin have learned anything like this if not from his predecessors ?

can you blame him if he was better in it than his teachers ??

And yesterday I accidentally commented on a youtube video using her login and she got a message from a very upset (Thai) Red Shirt supporter with a highly offensive (LM!) profile picture that was very abusive in language and clearly of the revolutionary kind...I don't think that went well over with my GF either as she truly loves the HM King.

So opinions change.

I truly believe that the Reds are losing support by the buckets...

You comment youtube videos? Youtube is truly the place for any sane discussion, as anybody knows that almost only intellectuals, academics and experts with the best knowledge on the subject write well worded and deep thought comments on youtube.

As you do it too, so you must be one of them. Amazing.

Did you wrote an SMS recently or used the twitter channel?

Tell us more, keep us updated. I really like your FACTS.

:):D:D