Towing A Boat In Los

Yes, the good news is that small trailers for towing boats, jet skis, farm stuff, other cars etc are quite legal in Thailand.

Small, legal trailers were first introduced by (Anglo-Dutch) Thai Trailer Lamphun some 15 years ago. Sadly they had waited so long for BoI approval that they had no marketing budget by the time they opened, and failed soon after.

A similar range was promoted some 4-5 years ago by a western outfit named Viking in (I think) Nong Khai. Silent now, I think.

Certainly there is an active company with a wide range of trailers in Phuket, and no doubt the Phuket Gazette will help you trace them.

Trailers must all be registered in Thailand, just as you'd register a car. This follows German practice rather than UK. Provided you buy from a pukka company and the build quality and over-run brakes are fine, you will be too.

Many trailers aren't registered - this is because of the bureaucracy involved, and the corrupt police who actually by and large don't know anything about it.

I notice outside Pattaya a chap is selling imported "caravans" - I wonder what reception one would get with one of these on the roads of Mae Hong Son?

UPBEAT in Bangplee Industrial Estate has several standard trailers, along with custom build capabilities ; as well as ATV, jet ski, boat, motorcycle, transporters. Try to get a hold of Harry he is the main man there. 02 705 2745

All come with road registration.

UPtbb sister co does all sorts of impressive aluminum, steel, SS custom fabrications too.

http://www.upbeat.co.th

http://www.uptbb.com/index.htm

There's a Pattaya firm that makes and sells legal trailers on Sukhumvit around Ambassador/Ocean Marina, on the opposite (eastern) side of the road. I haven't been there for a while, but I can recall that the owner had spent some time in Australia (but still spoke good English despite that) and at that time used mainly imported Australian parts. They also repair boats, so you may see these rather than the trailers if driving past.

Someone mentioned caravans in Thailand? I knew this idea had potential many years ago and now it's being done and the interest at the show was overwhelming with long queues and by far the most of any other product I saw there..

Caravans

I know of an automotive trailer manufacturer in the south of the Chonburi area and one owned by a farang in the Chang Mai area and now I can't find the info on either :) ....Keep looking though and let you know..

Edited by WarpSpeed