The Decision To Eliminate Political Discussions From General

canuckamuck

I understand that you mods have a tough job, and I think this is an wonderful forum, but I am perplexed at the policy about politics threads in the general forum.

The number one thing people want to discuss these days is the political situation, as can be seen by some of the sprawling threads in the News clipping section. But as far as I can tell, most people cannot post a thread in the news clipping section section. So the first frustration is: if you have something you would like to discuss you have to either hijack a news thread or hope your issue comes up so you can comment. Not all insight or info come from the media.

The next frustration that comes up is: because so many people are eager to discuss the situation, the news items are totally clogged with redundant arguments and petty bickering. To find a bit of news in those threads is like finding a needle in a haystack, and if you make a comment it is quickly buried three pages back because of all the pointless posts flooding in.

Would it not be a good idea to have a place where people can post a political topic so that these folks can respond to their hearts content without burying the news. And also so those people with good observations or interesting questions can have a venue to start a thread.

I know that you guys have the daily news updates that are closed to comments. This is excellent, but there are others out there that have things of interest to bring to the table. The concept of eliminating politics from the general section would suggest there was an alternative and it certainly goes against the concept of a user generated discussion group.

• Like 1