American Embassy Town Hall Meeting Change

lopburi3

AMERICAN TOWN HALL NOTICE

Due to ongoing security and safety concerns, the Town Hall meeting scheduled for Tuesday, May 18 at 2pm has been re-formatted into a virtual Town Hall meeting to be held on-line. This will allow for a greater number of American citizens residing in Thailand to participate in a discussion with the Ambassador, the Embassy Security Officer and our American Citizens Services Chief. We regret any inconvenience this may cause but believe this will be a more effective means of reaching the greatest number of people without putting them in harm’s way. The safety of American citizens remains our primary concern.

The virtual Town Hall meeting will be held from 4 - 5pm on Tuesday, May 18.

1. To join us go to https://statedept.connectsolutions.com/bangkok

2. Enter as Guest (type your desired screen name)

3. Submit your question

The Ambassador and other key embassy officials will be available to take your questions.

If you are unable to join us, a transcript of the webchat will be made available on our Embassy website at http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/

Questions may be submitted in advance of the Town Hall webchat beginning at 8:00am on the morning of Tuesday, May 18 at 8:00am (Bangkok time). Just enter the site above to submit your question

Wow.. Talk about "phoning it in".. :)

More than a chance to have a question or two "officially" answered, I really saw this meeting as a way to make human contact with the other Americans living in Bangkok. It was a reassuring activity, in tense times. It's exactly what I felt walking out of the last one (as insipid and completely out-of-touch and ludicrous some of the the "questions" were).

I can understand putting measures into place, so that those unable or unwilling to attend the meeting can still participate (like a live webcast with chatted-in questions set up at the real meeting), but the meeting should still take place, if not in the middle of the red zone, then somewhere a few Kilometer's way off. There ARE other large hotels not directly on Sukhomvit Rd, in Bangkok.

With the Embassy closed, it would be a really good show of the US Government still having "feet on the ground", to have a real live meeting.

Also, the live meeting was to have screened entry, only for Americans bearing ID. What's to stop non-Americans from entering into this online chat/melee (especially now that it's been posted here and who-knows-where-else)?

This sounds ill-planned.. now what does that remind me of??

mr good voice--sieng dee mark :)

what is it with you....? :D

i still would love to attend in person even if in the middle of sa la daeng intersection.... :D:D

count me in....

but i also concur with you.... but so what....? if a few other significants :D:D:D want to snoop around our good intention gathering....

perhaps, it could also become a working module for other nations to copy to promote their own interests as well....

yes, face to face town hall meeting with some classified optical scanner would be much more exciting.... with certain air of exclusivity.... :D

but with some staff members already thousand of miles away from bkk, this virtual meeting would do just fine.... imho

but first.... i really need to get permission from my significant other.... :D:D

Edited by nakachalet

but so what....? if a few other significants :D:D:D want to snoop around our good intention gathering....

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "untraceable disrupters/saboteurs", and that after the BOATLOAD of bizzaro questions/rantings at the last meeting (delivered live at mics positioned around the room), I can't begin to fathom how bad it's going to be with the added ingredient of keyboard anonymity, and wide open access to ANYONE.

It's not even that the Americans at the last meeting were putting up great questions or debates (many totally weren't), it's just that there was some kind of accountability.

Except of course for that last pinhead who stepped up to the mic. You know... the one who said he knew he shouldn't talk about "something", and then COMPLETELY did, anyway..?? Sitting there listening to him was like watching a scary movie, and getting to the part when the stupid guy (who is ignoring the warnings) goes ahead and dimwittedly opens a door which contains a horrifying monster, as people in the theater squirm in their seats, and beg & scream at him "NOoooo!! DON'T DO IIIITTTT!!"

Remember that guy?? The one that almost made you embarresed to be American? Let's just pray there was no accountability that materialized for him, after his astonishing, never ending tirade (that all the Thai staff in the ballroom could hear).

That's all I have to say about that.

I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.

Umm.. as far as I know, "siang" (can also be transliterated as "siiang", or written in Thai as "เสียง") translates to "sound". Although it can also mean "voice", with my avatar of a Sound Console, don't you think (by context) it means "really good sound"..? :)

hi mr best sound in town.... lol

we are fortunate that at least some representatives are hanging around (well, we won't know if they are now vacationing in diamond head, hawaii.... or actually still in bkk.... lol)

to hear us out....

other consulates are not doing anything like our rep are.... many cheers to our rep....

wonder if other folks are informed that they can actually attend this meeting thru internet connection....

how do we get words out.... there are only a few hours left....

let me see, if i can entice some tv stations to broadcast this meeting.... no promises though.... :)

mr best sound.... do u know.... if attendees will be paid in usd or not.... just in case.... the station managers ask.... :D

To the original poster: How about keeping quiet at times on an open forum. This was supposed to be for American citizens ONLY. :D

If it had just been a re-posting of the meeting (the same as the 1st meeting, which took place at the hotel), screened entry would have made it "for Americans only".

But you're right Lockman.. not a great idea to post the FULL update (of the new virtual meeting) here.. better if the OP had simply made note of the change, and directed people to check their e-mail for the updated plans and private webmeeting link..

Except that it's not private! :)

So Lockman, you're kinda just shooting the messenger here..

Because actually..? The INITIAL breach of that "privacy" was made when the US Embassy here in Thailand decided to create an online "anyone can enter with any username they like" webmeeting. Wide open entry; absolutely anyone (not just American citizens) can enter it. Not only that, but they themselves posted the meeting and the entry link for anyone to see, right on the front page of the US Embassy's website. Nationals from every country in the world can now find and join this meeting (even, AHEM.. Montenegro!) :D

And therein lies the true Achilles heel of this new webmeeting plan. (Sorry US Embassy; I fear you've really botched this one up)

In addition, I suspect it's going to be a text-only webmeeting; without hearing the voices. Really? To me that takes all the warm, supportive, reassuring "We're the US Embassy in Bangkok and we're still here, ready to help our citizens abroad" feelings right out of the equation, which was basically the ONLY good thing I got out of the first meeting (which question & answerwise, offered very little).

Ah well, perhaps there will be sound. Again, lets just hope for the best.

And nakachalet: Actually, I AM one of the best sound men (audio engineer, aka: วิศวกรเครื่องเสียง) in town, but let's keep that p-r-i-v-a-t-e, shall we? :D

I suspect it's going to be a text-only webmeeting;

If true, wouldn't that solve this potential problem you raised earlier?

I was thinking more along the lines of "untraceable disrupters/saboteurs", and that after the BOATLOAD of bizzaro questions/rantings at the last meeting (delivered live at mics positioned around the room), I can't begin to fathom how bad it's going to be with the added ingredient of keyboard anonymity

Perhaps the embassy staff will be filtering the questions so that "disrupters/saboteurs" will not ruin the meeting.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

Not necessarily; even if it's moderated, if enough nonsense starts clogging the procces, it may have a negative effect on the meeting..

And more important than that:

I was thinking more along the lines of "untraceable disrupters/saboteurs", and that after the BOATLOAD of bizzaro questions/rantings at the last meeting (delivered live at mics positioned around the room), I can't begin to fathom how bad it's going to be with the added ingredient of keyboard anonymity

Perhaps the embassy staff will be filtering the questions so that "disrupters/saboteurs" will not ruin the meeting.

Oh.. Filtering.. aka CENSORING!!

How Ironic, that in the middle of this third world country, and it's Government's struggles and accusations of draconian censorship, the supposed free world LEADER of freespeech is going to end up potentially censoring it's own American citizens at an American Citizen's "town meeting". Yes the meeting last time was inundated with really dumb questions & rants, but the Americans there were free to speak as they chose to, even if the leaders of the meeting declined to respond (which they were also free to do).

This is basic 1st Amendment stuff (within the limits of Thai law), don't ya think? If some idiot wants to say something, I'd like to (be allowed to) hear it, and I'll fight for his right to say it (although I fear the anonymity of the keyboard does tend to create input to electronic forums that goes a bit past opinionated, and right into overtly disruptive), and then I'd like to see my Embassy leaders actively process and deflect it, if needed. It shows me they're really HERE, and really an active, potent entity on the ground here. And frankly, I'd rather KNOW that some portion of the "fellow Americans" around me are actual idiots (not just keyboard trollers), than NOT know. Could be important to know, when making decisions or when forced to choose sides. The truth will set you free, right?

Anyway, the problem isn't the meeting, it isn't that it's online, it isn't if there'll be sound or not, it isn't that the link was made public... it's that it's open entry to anyone with an Internet connection, specifically non-Americans, which is rather counter-productive when you want to have a meeting to help Americans vent their concerns and ask questions in a forum where they should feel free to speak in the relative confidence of other Americans. Also, it's not much of a town meeting, when you're going to (have to be) potantially prevented from hearing some American's questions or concerns.

Yes, I was mortified and embarresed to be an American after several cringe-worthy speakers at the last meeting, but I was still proud, as well. So, I had mixed emotions. Is that so bad? I don't think so. The American system isn't perfect, but I still believe it's the best one the world has seen, so far.

Wow.. Talk about "phoning it in".. :)

More than a chance to have a question or two "officially" answered, I really saw this meeting as a way to make human contact with the other Americans living in Bangkok. It was a reassuring activity, in tense times. It's exactly what I felt walking out of the last one (as insipid and completely out-of-touch and ludicrous some of the the "questions" were).

I can understand putting measures into place, so that those unable or unwilling to attend the meeting can still participate (like a live webcast with chatted-in questions set up at the real meeting), but the meeting should still take place, if not in the middle of the red zone, then somewhere a few Kilometer's way off. There ARE other large hotels not directly on Sukhomvit Rd, in Bangkok.

With the Embassy closed, it would be a really good show of the US Government still having "feet on the ground", to have a real live meeting.

Also, the live meeting was to have screened entry, only for Americans bearing ID. What's to stop non-Americans from entering into this online chat/melee (especially now that it's been posted here and who-knows-where-else)?

This sounds ill-planned.. now what does that remind me of??

My sentiments exactly, when I posted the original concerns and suggestion this is exactly what I had in mind and not the cold, impersonal and distant alternative they've elected to use..

Or more like they can avoid the really relative questions and based on what I'm reading it seems that it is basically a carbon copy of the last meeting only with some disclaimers and an occasional back patting session thrown in for good measure but no real substance...

Or more like they can avoid the really relative questions and based on what I'm reading it seems that it is basically a carbon copy of the last meeting only with some disclaimers and an occasional back patting session thrown in for good measure but no real substance...

Or, more like an old, nearly broken analog photostatic copy of the old meeting, with less clear, diminished and distorted information.

Also, we could do without the pop-psych neo-feelgood nonsense from the Dr. It's an utter waste of the (apparently) precious bandwidth. And stop re-answering the same questions (or even recognizing them) over and over?? Especially when the response time is 1 question per 3 - 5 minutes.

GAH!

Oh well. What was I expecting, really? ::::sigh::::

I'd be better off going for a bicycle ride. :)

OH! it's over.. whew.. I'm outa here.