Kiwis's Advised To Leave Thailand By Nz Government

roamer

Way to much over kill, put a do not travel to Bangkok Province, sure, but this is clueless. I bet some Embassy staff just want ed a holiday and trip home.

What a stupid opinion. There are a number of embassies are advising their citizen to leave Thailand.

..they must know something we don't..

I have been through Wars, Civil and otherwise, uprisings, semi-revolutions and a few more dicey situations in my life and can honestly say that this "Warning" from the NZ Govt does not worry me in the slightest. Those who staff the Embassy in Wireless Road in my opinion are there just for a holiday. They are supposed to report fact back to Govt of NZ however sitting in their Ivory Tower they are all guesses/opinions to what their NZ story should say back to HQ. They are NOT at all qualified to speak on the Thai situation, they DO NOT have experience and all are career diplomats looking for their next posting.

In my 7 years here in Thailand every time I have gone to the NZ Embassy for information, that information has never been forth coming. I am always fobbed off by the staff. I have given up on them and the requests they put out to get registered. I also ignore the advice they put out because they lack experince in Thai affairs. I think I have a far better understanding of Thai affairs than they will ever have.

The situation in Bangkok is just a "small town punch up" by thugs who are fighting over the money supplied my Thaksin and his cronies. Nothing more than that.

I agreed with your post completely until the very last line.. Do people seriously still believe that line because they read it in the Nation two months ago? Consider, if it were true:

- The government could just offer a little more money and be done with the whole thing.

- Are you seriously stating that people are willing to die (and actually dying) over 500 baht a day? I have hired people on 500 baht a day and I wish I got that level of commitment!!

- Are you seriously stating that people are willing to die (and actually dying) over 500 baht a day? I have hired people on 500 baht a day and I wish I got that level of commitment!!

Yes, and sadly, it's nothing new in the world. 500 baht a day is several times more than the average Thai makes. More than the soldiers are paid as well.

I received a letter as all New Zealander's who are registered with the N Z Embassy would have and the nuts and bolts of it means. Get away from the trouble spots and use common sense. Nothing about leaving Thailand Why do people make comments and twist the facts. Have you nothing better to do. By the way Sisaket Mike: The so called kiwi fruit I have seen here in Thailand does not come from NZ. If you want fruit from NZ it will be labeled Esprey

This is all pressure on Thailand to sort things out. NZ and we know things are not as bad as they say. Politics at work.

Typical knee-jerk reaction we have come to expect from NZ politics.

Just one of the reasons that make Thailand a more appealing place to live dispite its unstable governance.

I am surprised Winston Peters had not put his 2 cents worth in yet.

thats cause Winnie isnt a MP anymore, since 2008 :)

I received a letter as all New Zealander's who are registered with the N Z Embassy would have and the nuts and bolts of it means. Get away from the trouble spots and use common sense. Nothing about leaving Thailand Why do people make comments and twist the facts. Have you nothing better to do. By the way Sisaket Mike: The so called kiwi fruit I have seen here in Thailand does not come from NZ. If you want fruit from NZ it will be labeled Esprey

esprey? not quite Zespri :)

This is all pressure on Thailand to sort things out. NZ and we know things are not as bad as they say. Politics at work.

Typical knee-jerk reaction we have come to expect from NZ politics.

Just one of the reasons that make Thailand a more appealing place to live dispite its unstable governance.

I am surprised Winston Peters had not put his 2 cents worth in yet.

thats cause Winnie isnt a MP anymore, since 2008 :)

my faith in MMP was boosted by this :D

esprey? not quite Zespri :)

Thanks Donnyboy :D

I hope this isn't a trend.

what about the house i bought .

what about the car i bought .????

any one want to buy them ....

TGF ,, thrown in ...

if i decide to go back to akld, i'd prolly buy a seat on the plane for my 650 Ninja. gotta get on the bike forum to see what NZ needs to import a Thai bike.

note to self - get thee to the MOT and get the 'bike visa' so on return i don't get nailed for customs

too soon for statements like this imho
Way to much over kill, put a do not travel to Bangkok Province, sure, but this is clueless. I bet some Embassy staff just want ed a holiday and trip home.

Actually it was driven by news that a New Zealander had been injured in the clashes and pressure from the NZ government opposition.

However that news report may be inaccurate. Other reports are like this:

LATEST: Thousands of Kiwis in Thailand are being urged to leave after the Government increased its advice on the Thai capital to "extreme" risk.

Protests in Bangkok turned violent last week and 36 people have died in the fighting since Thursday, according to official medical sources.

At least 65 people have been killed and more than 1600 wounded since the red shirts began their protest in mid-March.

The mostly rural and urban poor protesters, supporters of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, accuse the government of colluding with the royalist elite and meddling with the judiciary to bring down two Thaksin-allied governments.

The NZ Government's warning comes after a Kiwi was injured in the protests.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) this afternoon upgraded its travel advisory to "extreme" due to the political and civil unrest and threat of terrorism.

MFAT is now advising Kiwis not to travel to Bangkok, while those already there are encouraged to leave.

An MFAT spokesman said the Kiwi had been treated in hospital on Saturday for minor injuries and allowed to leave. TVNZ reported that the injured man's name was John Bailey.

There were 380 New Zealanders registered in Bangkok and 918 in Thailand in total. But officials believe there could be up to 650 in Bangkok and as many as 2000 elsewhere in Thailand.

"Given the unpredictability of the situation and the gradual ramping up and spread of violence in recent days, this afternoon, MFAT increased the level of its travel advisory for Thailand," Mr Key said.

"The Government has upgraded the risk level for Bangkok to the extreme risk. We advise against travel to Bangkok and New Zealanders currently in Bangkok should consider departing."

The Government had authorised the voluntary departure of the families of embassy staff from Bangkok.

The Bangkok Airport was still open and access to it remained clear so people there should get out now, Mr Key said.

"Commercial flights are operating so there are options for New Zealanders to leave that may not be available later on."

Mr Key said he was confident the Government could rely on commercial flights to transport people out of Thailand but would "look to act" if the situation changed.

Those in other parts of Thailand also faced a high risk to their security, MFAT said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/3703890/...reme-risk-MFAT/

Its clear they are talking about Bangkok but they then muddy the waters a bit. Expect clarification.

May well be jumping the gun a bit but there is increasing unease about how the problems might be spreading. It wouldn't surprise me to see other countries following suit

Also remember a civil war can start in as little time as days and it's not a good thing to be caught up in.

Yes, and sadly, it's nothing new in the world. 500 baht a day is several times more than the average Thai makes. More than the soldiers are paid as well.

Are the reds on the payroll really willing to die for their cause? Haven't their numbers already dwindled dramatically? Aren't the numbers down to the "hardcore" now? And even among the hardcore, how many really mean it? Wouldn't most be able to melt away if there were a final push by the military? After all, the reds don't have much of a uniform. Even the red shirts are coming off. The Taliban are more readily identifiable than these guys.

The real long term effect of the red shirts debacle will come after the "protest" falls apart and disperses and things try to return to normal. Then, a lot of these "hardcore" mafia types will be emboldened by their whiff of violence and the belief that violence pays off. Crime--street crime, maybe kidnappings--will spiral upwards. That's it. The legacy of the red shirts could well be a more violent and crime prone country.

Edited by zydeco

I have been in a number of hot spots in the past. It's a good idea to listen to what your Embassy has to say. They frequently do have information not widely available to the public. They do tend to err on the side of caution as well. Whether you follow their advice or not may depend on your individual circumstances--such as if you are single or married (and have a family).

At a minimum keep yourself prepared for a quick exit if need be. Make sure you have food, water and other supplies handy (I currently have some friends who have been unable to get out of their apartment in the red area to get food--both of them can do with a few days without eating anyway. If you or family members are on medication, make sure you have an ample supply on hand.

This could all pass over quickly, or things could go tits-up in a heartbeat. It could end up in a low-intensity civil conflict or it could blow completely up.

Edit: beaten to it... so anyway, Zespri, and they are readily available in supermarkets in the CM area. Maybe not further out into the sticks though.

profile-img1-zespri.jpg

I've been advising Kiwi's to leave for years. Looks like they finally got the message. :D

What will it take for New Zealand to issue an advisory for Australia then? :)

Red colour has declared open season on Kiwis because it's the one country no other country cares about :D

too soon for statements like this imho

Actually it was driven by news that a New Zealander had been injured in the clashes and pressure from the NZ government opposition.

However that news report may be inaccurate. Other reports are like this:

LATEST: Thousands of Kiwis in Thailand are being urged to leave after the Government increased its advice on the Thai capital to "extreme" risk.

Protests in Bangkok turned violent last week and 36 people have died in the fighting since Thursday, according to official medical sources.

At least 65 people have been killed and more than 1600 wounded since the red shirts began their protest in mid-March.

The mostly rural and urban poor protesters, supporters of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, accuse the government of colluding with the royalist elite and meddling with the judiciary to bring down two Thaksin-allied governments.

The NZ Government's warning comes after a Kiwi was injured in the protests.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) this afternoon upgraded its travel advisory to "extreme" due to the political and civil unrest and threat of terrorism.

MFAT is now advising Kiwis not to travel to Bangkok, while those already there are encouraged to leave.

An MFAT spokesman said the Kiwi had been treated in hospital on Saturday for minor injuries and allowed to leave. TVNZ reported that the injured man's name was John Bailey.

There were 380 New Zealanders registered in Bangkok and 918 in Thailand in total. But officials believe there could be up to 650 in Bangkok and as many as 2000 elsewhere in Thailand.

"Given the unpredictability of the situation and the gradual ramping up and spread of violence in recent days, this afternoon, MFAT increased the level of its travel advisory for Thailand," Mr Key said.

"The Government has upgraded the risk level for Bangkok to the extreme risk. We advise against travel to Bangkok and New Zealanders currently in Bangkok should consider departing."

The Government had authorised the voluntary departure of the families of embassy staff from Bangkok.

The Bangkok Airport was still open and access to it remained clear so people there should get out now, Mr Key said.

"Commercial flights are operating so there are options for New Zealanders to leave that may not be available later on."

Mr Key said he was confident the Government could rely on commercial flights to transport people out of Thailand but would "look to act" if the situation changed.

Those in other parts of Thailand also faced a high risk to their security, MFAT said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/3703890/...reme-risk-MFAT/

Its clear they are talking about Bangkok but they then muddy the waters a bit. Expect clarification.

May well be jumping the gun a bit but there is increasing unease about how the problems might be spreading. It wouldn't surprise me to see other countries following suit

I am a New Zealander and I just have to say that this is just way over the top and ridiculous overkill. They're treating NZ'ers like babies. It's embarrassing.

Edited by tropo