Thailand Under Intense Pressure To End This Chaos

webfact

This sentence "Thailand is not a failed state." seems like a plea from the writer. Thailand may not be a failed state yet, but it is certainly heading in that direction at a rapid pace. I agree with the posters on this forum who have said that there will be no winners out of this conflict now, all sides lose and the biggest loser will be the country itself.

The Thai Government have refused an international mediator to help both sides reach an agreement, saying that this is an internal matter. I may be overly suspicious but I have to wonder what they are trying to hide.

The red leaders have refused to call their thugs back from attacking a stationary army. Are they really interested in talks?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I always said that I prefer the current government to stay in power and I always supported the PM. I support him even more now after seeing how he has handled this. However, I also felt - and still feel - that the redshirts have some legitimate grievances and these need to be addressed if the country is going to move forward.

The spiteful, poison pen red-haters seem to think that anyone who does not rant and rave about them is a redshirt supporter, but some of us have sympathy for their problems while realizing that the leaders are mostly crooks. I live in Chiang Mai and many of these people are my neighbors and most of them are not bad people. They just want a chance to improve their lives.

They made their point several weeks ago and could have had a real chance at a strong voice in Thai politics, but they blew it when they turned down the PM's generous peace deal and now everyone is paying for their leader's stubbornness.

I hope there is some way to salvage some kind of solution, but it is time for them to admit their mistake and give up fighting. They were so close to really accomplishing something important , but they rejected ending this peacefully, so no cigar.

I agree the red's have some legitimate grievances, but the problem is that their grievances have been pushed aside.

The protest didn't come to Bangkok telling us what their grievances were, they came demanding what they were told was the only option.

If the red shirts want their situation resolved burning tires and the city down will not accomplish that.

They need to draw back the movement and step away from the greedy bastards who confused and abused their good will.

Get back to what they really want fixed as opposed to this piss poor solution of immediate dissolution.

I really want to see those issues addressed, I want them to get together and itemized the problems and actually discuss how to solve it with the government. THEN if the government completely fails to aknowledge it to protest and call for dissolution.

SECONDED !

in general, Thai people are very gentle, perhaps too gentle to voice their demand. first they accept, then they adjust; till last margin they make a hint.

I sympathise and 'respect' the 'original movitation' of the protest, but not on the influence of Mr T, not on any 'action' they perform !

There is a "Made In Thailand" way to get Thaksin AND Sondhi to tell their troops to stand and burn their red AND yellow shirts.

When I discussed The Joseph Solution and The Joseph Plan with Thais, in December and January, they told me to go to the media with it.

Remember this when a few of us warning of the coming storm. I have Posts from back then saying the water had gone off the beach, the tsunami was coming. Most laughed at the few red shirts getting money from Thaksin could do nothing.

For the sake of human life, I continued, but got a suspension from the Forum.

Let's do a poll and see how many envision Thailand breaking up into 3 countries.

It is NOT too late, I have been in email Contact with Thais, and one has connections to Chuan. If I could get Professor Thitinan Pongsudhirak and Khun Chuan Leekpai in the same room for an hour, it would lead to Thaksin AND Sondhi ordering and end to violence. They would be given offers they cannot refuse, or lose face!

----------

95% of Thais, yellow, red, white, blue, green, would love The Joseph Solution. The blacks, pinkos and maroons would NOT.

Edited by eggomaniac

The two choices are the difference between a hammer and a vise. The hammer will destroy the nut, but pieces of shell fly everywhere, and it takes a while to pick up. The vise exerts slow, steady pressure, until the nut cracks, but cracks more gently, with less debris. The reds feel the vise tightening. Remain calm, and they will crack, under the pressure.

Excellent analogy. Sure hope it applies in this case!

If the PM does not crush the rebellion he will be criticized. If he does he will be vilified. He is in a no-win situation.

I'm glad we have such a good man in charge at a time like this. Look at some of the past PMs. Who knows what kind of bonehead will replace him?

A good man!!!! What type of narcotics are you on? The whole world is saying he is incompetent and useless have they all got it wrong? Why hasnt he sorted out the demostrators, why is Thailand looking loke the Worlds buffalo? Why have there been assasinations and carnage on the streets of Bangkok? A good man, my arse!

It seems as each day passes, individuals on this site spout even more ridiculous and unfounded statements.

Maybe, and interestingly, the ridiculous use of the word 'narcotics' is used because you have experience of them?

You certainly aren't grounded in reality.

Are you really saying that Abhisit is not a 'good man'?

Moreover, what a sweeping statement: "The whole world is saying [Abhisit} is incompetent and useless".

Where is your evidence in which to anchor another ridiculous statement? No one of any intellectual capacity has called him 'useless' or 'incompetant'.

It is true, Abhisit has a thankless task. Nevertheless, he is a fine man who will bring this country back from the brink of civil war.

I would carry on making you a laughing stock of you on this site.

However, it looks like you've already done a very good job of that yourself.

Instead of cutting flesh or cracking nuts,

how about simply offering any willing and able body a job in their own province.

"It is understandable why the international community and human rights organisations are so concerned with the political crisis in Thailand - which used to be a poster child for democracy some two decades ago. Obviously, this country has serious social problems, especially the widening of the income gap between the haves and have-nots and other issues."

Indeed.

The HAVES: Khun Thaksin

The HAVE-NOTS: His pityful, suffering red-shirt army, being abused for his selfish goals

Instead of cutting flesh or cracking nuts,

how about simply offering any willing and able body a job in their own province.

Seems like a sound notion but where would such "jobs" come from? Doing what and provided by whom?

Let's face it, the majority of these poor people involved (should I say unwittingly embroiled) in this situation (red occupation/Mexican standoff) are poor farmers or those that mostly exist on virtual subsistence farming. Thais (and in particular, the less fortunate poorly educated Issan ilk of Thai) are not well known for their foresightedness and forward planning. Live for the day so to speak. Most were offered 500 baht per day to "protest" and sold on the notion that it was their future they were protesting/fighting for. Why go back to the provinces and earn zero baht per day during off season or at best 200 baht per day when work is available? Unless of course we can arrange govt or Tesco Lotus jobs for them all.

My Thai/Issan wife tells me that the elderly people at the protest site have adopted the philosophy that they are old and will die soon enough anyway,... so the notion of dieing as a martyr to the cause and leaving 200,000 baht "death compo" for their relatives seems like quite an equitable and noble alternative.

Ultimately,.. the plight of the poor and underprivileged of any country is the responsibility of the government. Thailand is surely no exception to this and let's not pretend that the fault lies with the current government as this problem has been looming and fixable for at least 30 years now. Just look at how Vietnam has lifted itself out of the depths of war and communist oppression to emerge as a go ahead country.

Whether or not the Abhisit govt could or would make any serious efforts to raise the standard of education throughout the nation (not an easy task or system to change), would remain to be seen (if in fact he can hold on to power,..which I personally doubt).

It's a complex issue and goes a lot deeper than this current red/yellow Taxsin scenario. These are just manifestations of a system that's been off track and directed by short sighted greed, corruption and ignorance for way too long.

I pray for this wonderful country and it's people. Right now I can't think of anything more than prayers and hope that will help this country more.

If the PM does not crush the rebellion he will be criticized. If he does he will be vilified. He is in a no-win situation.

I'm glad we have such a good man in charge at a time like this. Look at some of the past PMs. Who knows what kind of bonehead will replace him?

Agreed...........history has a way of repeating iself, in this case the only difference is the lack of "bull at the gate" philosophy........though if it drags on the gates may be opened & the herd let loose to run rampant...

A good man!!!! What type of narcotics are you on? The whole world is saying he is incompetent and useless have they all got it wrong? Why hasnt he sorted out the demostrators,

Because he refuses to go in and slaughter thousands of men, women and children. He is trying to stop the highjacking of the capital and still end this as peacefully as possible. That is why he is a good man.

peace-905.jpg

Or.... because his every attempt to censor the media (even with snipers) has failed thus far.

Urgent: Thai government rejects ceasefire call as 'nonsense' /AFP

Urgent: Thailand's government on Tuesday rejected a call from Red Shirt protesters for a ceasefire to end street violence /AFP

Urgent: "This is nonsense," said Suthep Thaugsuban when asked to respond to the proposal by the Reds. /AFP

Urgent: "Security forces not firing at civilians. Security forces are carrying out their duties in line with the authorities' Suthep said. /AFP

Urgent: "That is to contain the protest area and prevent newcomers frm going inside while allowing people 2 leave the zone" says Suthep /AFP

that is bad !

Urgent: Thailand's government on Tuesday rejected a call from Red Shirt protesters for a ceasefire to end street violence /AFP

Urgent: "This is nonsense," said Suthep Thaugsuban when asked to respond to the proposal by the Reds. /AFP

Urgent: "Security forces not firing at civilians. Security forces are carrying out their duties in line with the authorities' Suthep said. /AFP

Urgent: "That is to contain the protest area and prevent newcomers frm going inside while allowing people 2 leave the zone" says Suthep /AFP

that is bad !

If the red shirt thugs withdraw (not even go home, just withdraw) then the army will not shoot them.

Edited by whybother

that is bad !

If the red shirt thugs withdraw (not even go home, just withdraw) then the army will not shoot them.

what I meant, a very thin chance of negotiation is closed. then there are only two scenarios open :

- soldiers force in and disperse ( another bad disaster )

- red shirts go home ( of course, someone need to responsible for this )

What 'should' abhisit have done? I doubt there was anything he could do.

If he cracked down hard right in the beginning he would have been confirming the accusation of double standards. AND that would probably have fueled the 'revolution' up country and also won the sympathy of a lot of the uncommitted in Bangkok to the reds. Demonstrating, rightly or wrongly, that there are two sets of laws- one set that ignores illegal behavior (when said behavior works to our specific best interests) - and another set that prohibits illegal behavior (when said behavior is directed against our interests). Abhisit, and I think there is little doubt of this- probably genuinely believes in basic principles of equality- so he pretty much felt he had to permit a 'certain' amount of illegality from the reds- since even his cabinet included people who had participated in illegal activities in the recent past.

But by permitting the reds to engage in the mild forms of illegal protest that the yellows had been defacto premitted to engage in, he was also risking that the thing would snowball- or worse, take on a life of its own where ideology would be replaced by more base motives- revenge, hatred, the kind of group solidarity found in street gangs, blood lust.

And that's what has happened.

Maybe Thailand will learn from this about the sancrosanct nature of law- not rule- but law. And law applied discriminately is not law at all. It is rule.

First we had protests on the streets, and then life went on and that became part of normal Bangkok life. Then grenades started falling every night all over the city, and that became normal and expected. Then Ratchaprasong was occupied and the center of Bangkok ground to a halt, then that became routine. Then soldiers took over Sala Daeng with barbed wire and roadblocks, and life went on. Then the army blockaded the area around red city and began battles in the streets and that has become part of everyday life. Why are we forced to continually adapt to the unthinkable so that the reds can have their way? It is not right to live in a city where the army is fighting terrorists on street corners. This situation is not OK. This is not how reasonable people behave. If the reds have any deceny or any intelligence they should suspend the protests and take part in meaningful dialouge.

If that is something that is totally beyond them then by all means let the army do what it must. The reds don't want democracy, who still believes that. The TRT, PPP and PTP have won at least the past 4 elections, how are they the oppressed minority? If the government has failed them, it has been their government that failed. What the international media doesn't realize is that in Thailand Thais don't value life. The amount of people killed in these protests has yet to equal the first day of Songkran's traffic fatalities. The idiots on the street corners are just out having fun and acting like it's Songkran II. The red leaders have padded their bank accounts enough, give the city back to the real Thais.

I'm shocked at the continuous support of military intervention in lieu of peace talks I see here on this forum... has everyone forgot that people are dying?

What will it take for calmer heads to prevail?! A 10 year old boy has been killed and his mother is experiencing grief very few have experienced before... all in the name of democracy? I wonder if the mother even understands the meaning?... the child surely did not! What happens when a 1 year old, 2 year old or 3 old life is snuffed out? ... as a result of pure arrogance on behalf of both sides!

I say everyone needs to step back, take a deep breath, swallow their pride and sit down face to face. If that takes weeks, or even months, so be it! A real leader is defined when he/she openly admits the decision is/was incorrect and then revising his/her course.

How nice this sounds

Troubles is it will never happen

Pride and saving face

Gaining strength and power is the name of this game

It is not about how many die, that is all collateral damage

Someone wants something back and will do whatever it takes

to get it back

A good leader must be able to do things which do not look good.

You can't cure cancer without cutting.

:) Yes you can, by using a herbal remedy recommended by Thaksin's poodle, Suderat

I'm shocked at the continuous support of military intervention in lieu of peace talks I see here on this forum... has everyone forgot that people are dying?

What will it take for calmer heads to prevail?! A 10 year old boy has been killed and his mother is experiencing grief very few have experienced before... all in the name of democracy? I wonder if the mother even understands the meaning?... the child surely did not! What happens when a 1 year old, 2 year old or 3 old life is snuffed out? ... as a result of pure arrogance on behalf of both sides!

I say everyone needs to step back, take a deep breath, swallow their pride and sit down face to face. If that takes weeks, or even months, so be it! A real leader is defined when he/she openly admits the decision is/was incorrect and then revising his/her course.

You are obviously new to this situation. It has been going on for over two months now. Time after time the red shirts have shown that they are only willing to talk and there talk is demands. The Government has tried to talk with them to no avail. The Government has made major concessions to no avail. If you had been following this you would know the red shirts have made no concesions. Over two months and they still insist my way or the highway.

You ask what will it take for calmer heads to prevail. The answer is the death of the leaders and the cutting off of funds to the protesters.

You obviously have no more concern for the people the red shirts are hurting with there ego maniac policy than they do.

Point of fact are you one of them you sound like it. That is what they want leave us alone we want to do what we want to do and we don't care about Thailand.

I have been following this very closely. What concessions have the Govt made? The government have made NO CONCESSIONS. Yes they offered many things with conditions if if if but of course the conditions will never be met, probable excuses e.g. too busy, had to go overseas, etc.etc. ( I am sure if you go and buy a yellow manual, you will find all the excuses you need).

Yes I agree a ceasefire is required! And Talking. Firstly they should talk about Thaksin return and face any charges that are real. As should Abhisit, Suthep Thug, etc. I am talking about charging any criminals for things prior to apr2010, and I suggest all these charges be brought in front of an international judge. Then they can start on april 2010. If this is done swiftly Thailand will be unified in a very short time. By using international judges they cannot blame one side or the other. Whoever ordered the Army to go near the protesters needs to be tried in The Hague. The army have nothing to do with this and have no rights to be involved.

that is bad !

what I meant, a very thin chance of negotiation is closed. then there are only two scenarios open :

- soldiers force in and disperse ( another bad disaster )

- red shirts go home ( of course, someone need to responsible for this )

it's sad when intelligent people are blinded by their own indulgence... I'll post this again... those reading the posts here, and who believe military intervention is the solution, need pay close attention to this video.

Actually, I always said that I prefer the current government to stay in power and I always supported the PM. I support him even more now after seeing how he has handled this. However, I also felt - and still feel - that the redshirts have some legitimate grievances and these need to be addressed if the country is going to move forward.

The spiteful, poison pen red-haters seem to think that anyone who does not rant and rave about them is a redshirt supporter, but some of us have sympathy for their problems while realizing that the leaders are mostly crooks. I live in Chiang Mai and many of these people are my neighbors and most of them are not bad people. They just want a chance to improve their lives.

They made their point several weeks ago and could have had a real chance at a strong voice in Thai politics, but they blew it when they turned down the PM's generous peace deal and now everyone is paying for their leader's stubbornness.

I hope there is some way to salvage some kind of solution, but it is time for them to admit their mistake and give up fighting. They were so close to really accomplishing something important , but they rejected ending this peacefully, so no cigar.

I think that both sides need to admit mistakes, call a ceasefire and appoint an independent arbiter who can attempt to bridge this gaping chasm of distrust that has divided what was once a flagship of Asian democratic progress.

Fighting the red shirts will only make matters worse, and presents a real risk of pitching Thailand into a protracted guerilla war where there will be no winners. History has many tragic examples of civil conflicts that persisted for years, wreaking untold hardship and misery on innocent people. God forbid that Thailand should be next.

It's true that the red shirts should have accepted the road map instead of dithering, but it's also true that Abhisit was far too ready withdraw his offer and send in the army. The intractable problem facing Thailand is that people have lost faith in the electoral process, that people no longer believe that their votes will count for anything anymore, and that mob rule perpetrated by both sides has become the standard for political expression. To many, the prospect of elections does not really address the more fundamental issues unless military and judicial meddling in the electoral process is halted.

Before more people get needlessly killed, both sides should sit down and talk, through a third party if necessary. The alternatives are too appalling and are really not worth what is really just a matter of personal pride among the leadership.

There is a "Made In Thailand" way to get Thaksin AND Sondhi to tell their troops to stand and burn their red AND yellow shirts.

When I discussed The Joseph Solution and The Joseph Plan with Thais, in December and January, they told me to go to the media with it.

Remember this when a few of us warning of the coming storm. I have Posts from back then saying the water had gone off the beach, the tsunami was coming. Most laughed at the few red shirts getting money from Thaksin could do nothing.

For the sake of human life, I continued, but got a suspension from the Forum.

Let's do a poll and see how many envision Thailand breaking up into 3 countries.

It is NOT too late, I have been in email Contact with Thais, and one has connections to Chuan. If I could get Professor Thitinan Pongsudhirak and Khun Chuan Leekpai in the same room for an hour, it would lead to Thaksin AND Sondhi ordering and end to violence. They would be given offers they cannot refuse, or lose face!

----------

95% of Thais, yellow, red, white, blue, green, would love The Joseph Solution. The blacks, pinkos and maroons would NOT.

finally... someone submits a post worth reading, and paying attention to.

I can only hope Thailand is capable of avoiding a 3 country alternative... my submission is 'no' (based on hope).

I'm shocked at the continuous support of military intervention in lieu of peace talks I see here on this forum... has everyone forgot that people are dying? . . . . .

Peace talks sound good. Yet, if they're hollow peace talks, as we've had prior, then the cycle continues: talks / entrenchment / riots / talks / entrenchment / riots, on and on.

Meanwhile people and businesses in Bkk suffer, and Thailand's reputation as a tourist destination is trashed.

The Reds said they agreed to the government's recent offer, but their more militant faction nixed it later on. Plus, even while saying they agreed to the offer, there was no effort at all toward dispersing the crowd. It was the beginning of their week long stalling tactic, which may have gone on for months, with new stalling demands added forever.

Nothing changes in Thailand -- here is a WSJ piece written in 2009, around the time of Songkran:

The country has one of the highest Gini [income inequality] coefficients in Asia -- and low income mobility. The problem has been compounded by the global economic downturn, which has hit Thailand hard, raising domestic tensions.

If this continues, populists like Mr. Thaksin will be able to ride on a wave of social discontent and Thailand will remain a political tinderbox. Violence could erupt again. [!!!] The anger many people feel is deeper now than during the last wave of protests that turned violent because economic expectations are higher and social divisions more severe.

Whatever the outcome of the present crisis, the future of Thai democracy doesn't look good. In fact, a country that only a few years ago was seen as a pillar of economic and political stability risks becoming a failed state. This frightening scenario can only be thwarted if Thailand gets solid, independent state institutions that can handle a crisis like this one -- and bridge the gap between various elites as well as society's rich and poor.

I'm shocked at the continuous support of military intervention in lieu of peace talks I see here on this forum... has everyone forgot that people are dying? . . . . .

Peace talks sound good. Yet, if they're hollow peace talks, as we've had prior, then the cycle continues: talks / entrenchment / riots / talks / entrenchment / riots, on and on.

Meanwhile people and businesses in Bkk suffer, and Thailand's reputation as a tourist destination is trashed.

The Reds said they agreed to the government's recent offer, but their more militant faction nixed it later on. Plus, even while saying they agreed to the offer, there was no effort at all toward dispersing the crowd. It was the beginning of their week long stalling tactic, which may have gone on for months, with new stalling demands added forever.

I believe that the Red Leaders can not disperse the blackshirts and thugs on Rajadamri, Chitlom, Rama IV, Ramkhamheng, Din Daeng, etc etc because they have no control over them. They've probably already been trying to rein them in and cannot. The genie cannot be put back into the bottle.

Time for Abhisit to tighten the grip. Thailand will be fine.

Nonsense. More violence from the government will beget more violence fom the protesters, and vice versa.

The two sides have no other choice but to talk their way out of this mess.

we all know 'don't use force to stop a force' !

we tell our kids this way, isn't it ?

it's sad when intelligent people are blinded by their own indulgence... I'll post this again... those reading the posts here, and who believe military intervention is the solution, need pay close attention to this video.

I'm not asking the military to crack down. I want the red shirts to go home and think about what their Grievances ARE. not what they think the solution should be.

Loss of life is bad, absolutly, but the red's aren't the only ones dying, random civilians trying to go about life as normal have been wounded. People have been injured and killed in grenade attacks around the city.

You post a video saying the military has shot a red shirt (or at least Imply it.)

I'm referencing the Grenades being lobbed at the BTS from Lumpini park that killed a woman and wounded several others.

Neither of us can point to the culprit of either and say "Them" with certainty but we have our proof.

All loss of life is utterly unacceptable but so is letting a city be held hostage by a group of moody children.

I want the reds to go home, Think about what their grievances are. Not tell me to follow their solution, not to demand the government follow their solution.

Bring a grievance and have it discussed, protest it peacefully in the area which was designated as okay.

Shutting down a large segment of the city is not okay.

Fortifying yourself into an encampment is not okay.

Searching people who want to visit/go home/go about their lives is not okay.

Comparing the Red shirts and Yellow shirt protests is POINTLESS, we can NOT go back in time.

We can't tell the current government to act just like the old government, there's a reason the old government was not voted back in.

Just because I want the reds to go home does not mean I supported the Yellow shirts and their invasion of the airport, But it's done. It happened most everyone realises thinks it was a bad Idea. We have lived through the occurences of having a mob roam the streets and take over buildings and muck around. We have had enough.

How can a ceasefire with criminals been considered? They need to be arrested and brought to court, not given sweet deals on top of the millions they've already been paid.

Enemies calling a truce, eating humble pie and forgiving each other is a fundamental part of returning to peace, and there may well be no peace without it. Let's face it - these are all Thai people who have much more in common than they do differences.

What are the alternatives? More bloodshed and suffering? Ruin? Is it worth it anymore?