David Vs. Goliath

watched a top gear last night, they tested a caterham (not sure what model), a very gay lookin car but very fast, 0-60 in 2.9!!!!

Stig did a lap of their track and it came in #3, beating the veyron.

post-12884-1274247005.jpg

Certainly proves says a lot about power to weight ratio. It's been banned from racing because it's "too fast":

"We were banned from production sportscar racing in the UK in the mid-80s because no-one could keep up, and now we are excluded again", explained Simon Nearn, managing director of Caterham Cars.

Last time out, the ultra-reliable lightweight two-seater not only won its class around the fearsome 13-mile Nordschleife circuit, but finished 11th overall from a list of 200 starters that included a host of supercars from BMW and Porsche.

Nearn added: "I guess it’s embarrassing for us to roll up with a car that costs a fraction of the price of the rest of the field, can be driven to and from the track and run for 24 hours without a glitch."

http://www.carpages.co.uk/caterham/caterha...in_21_04_03.asp

Wow, that's a pretty old episode you watched - that was back in 2008 if I'm not mistaken..

Sure power:weight is what it's all about, but I much prefer the way Bugatti massages the ratio, heh :D Yeah the R500 is fast, but really, you wouldn't want to be seen driving the thing :)

Yes old news and Ford engines innit? I guess it's more like the race organizers didn't want a full race, tube framed chassis up against what is basically enhanced street legal performance cars and say they were on equal terms... Kind of like a racing kart against a fun kart innit?

Edited by WarpSpeed