Battle In Bangkok - This Is No Peasant's Revolt

webfact

"Bangkok govornor: Bt100 million needed to restore and renovate the city. /via @veen_NT

TAN: INN: Education Minister will hold a meeting 2 evaluate situ to consider whether opening of school terms in Bkk needed to be postponed "

I know the Baht is strong at the moment, but Bt100 million wouldn't restore much

100 million Baht? Roughly 3 million USD? Thank god we have a governor that knows so much about finances. All my worries are put to rest now.

It is not mis quote it is truth slip out. est was 3 billion on BBC so he must just let slip what cut he is expecting for his non-corrupt little self and his squeaky clean democrat party.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if the international media was leaning towards the red side in this conflict, considering the ridiculous number of reporters that have been injured and killed. Remember the Japanese reporter, where the army refused to release the report if he was killed by the red shirts or by the army. I wonder why the army would refuse to release the report if it was the red shirts that killed him. Or the guy that was shot several times by the army after he identified himself as a reporter.

Haha what?

The reds said that if the government attacked them that something big will happen. Well now you see what they mean: the fire bombing of Bangkok. No one seems to see the link.

People in Bangkok are in fear of red shirts looting and crimes. The city is without any police control. People hide in their houses hoping that they won't get broken into and there is no police or army policing the streets. This is what happens when you have a lax police force. Policing in Thailand is about extracting fines and not policing and enforcing the law. I am seriously worried about my house there and the safe well being of friends and family. Its betime the government/police/army started enforcing laws. It would be nice to see the government do something decisive!!!

The reds said that if the government attacked them that something big will happen. Well now you see what they mean: the fire bombing of Bangkok. No one seems to see the link.

I see that, don't worry. I'm sure everyone sees it.

What I don't understand is why the sprinklers didn't work at CentralWorld to extinguish the fire. Could it have been related to the water turned off by the government so that the red shirts couldn't shower anymore?

I agree that the Red Shirt leadership were foolish in not accepting Abhisit's compromise without trying to attach ridiculous conditions, but fail to understand how their surrender yesterday meant they abandoned their followers. Were they supposed to encourage their followers to fight to the death?

This is a stupid and irresponsible editorial.

I think it is a well writen article by somebody who is well informed, unlike yourself............... Google the "jonestown massacre" and see how that guy Jones led masses of people in the wrong direction (almost a thousand followers commited suicide).............. Just as these lovely Isan folks, Ill-educated as most are, have been easily led astray. If you really think it is about Democracy -- you're naive......... If you notice that most of us back the Govt and a minority back the red-shirts----- If you know anything about Democracy, or life in general, you will know that the majority rules and wins............

If the majority support the government, why didn't Abhisit call an election, win it and then none of this would have happened. The blame rest firmly on his shoulders. You cannot deny people democracy year after year and expect no consequences.

You are right, in a democracy the majority rules and wins..... Democracy is NOT what is happening in Thailand. It hasn't seen democracy since the coup.

Well said. The elections which brought PPP / PT were completely undemocratic, so why are the reds complaining now??? :)

Umm... because they haven't seen democracy since the coup.

What I don't understand is why the sprinklers didn't work at CentralWorld to extinguish the fire. Could it have been related to the water turned off by the government so that the red shirts couldn't shower anymore?

NO, first as far as I recall water was available, second the system in a building such as CW is/was designed to allow time for the fire department to arrive, and start dealing with the fire. Again as I understand it, as opposed to this being a conventional fire, the situation was a number of sites, spread over a number of locations, most using accelerators [petrol, constructed fire centres, use of pallets etc.]. Since the fire brigade was unable to get to the core of these fires [it's also been suggested that in the turmoil, there was a second arson attack] the end result is the destruction we all see. By the by, it's of interest to note that the foreign correspondents identified the fire starters as protesters, with footage showing the use of flammable fluid.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Thailand has not choice in the matter. The Northern Thai people who have had little chance of having a voice, seen as second class citizens by the elite in Thailand. Have said enough, is enough. This message is being sent to those who are in power.

Whether or not they have close connections with the former PM, it doesn't really matter anymore. Each insurrection / revolt or revolution in history come when a group of people are oppressed to a degree and the people cannot tolerate it anymore. They snap.

Now, the world is watching and paying close attention and making their own judgments about Thailand, so are foreign investors and others.

The country-dwellers are only the sheep for those who are pushing this movement and with sheep; some get slaughtered by either side. Expendable in all aspects of politics.

I myself do support the Red shirt movement, not for what it represented before it escalated to this point. In order for there to be peace between the two. Both or all sides must come together and put their differences aside and talk, which they have, but like all people we come to the table with our own personal issues and nothing works.

So, go on Red shirts and give Thailand a reason to move forward.

self-edited

Not worth it for someone not in Thailand and not likely to return.

Edited by jdinasia

These problems have been with Thailand for years and when the latest vomit of violence is over, everyone will look back - study the loss of life and property, witness the waste -and go about recreating the conditions all over again. Witness: Cambodia and the Philippines.

Mans inhumanity toward man knows no bounds

Thailand:

Chinese elite that controls virtually everything that is worth controlling (although not quite as bad as the Philippines)

A legal system that is antiquated, arbitrary and corrupt to the core.

Political system with far too many redundant positions that are only oppty's for graft, corruption

A nation that is divided into tiny petty provinces, all with their own governance

Undereducated, over-employed civil servants. Corrupt, petty, temperamental, arrogant

Tens of legions of lazy bureaucrats

A poorly paid and ill trained police force, given to venal corruption and criminality.

An K-12 education system that models Cambodia more than Malaysia

Outside the better universities in BKK, most upper education is quite substandard

Poor wages and conditions that stultify career and vocational upward mobility

A cultural structure that does not encourage upward mobility. respect authority, elders, money.

Corrupt professional class - that stifles innovation and clean governance

A military (Army) that is as corrupt as its neighbors

National pandemic of meth-amphetamine abuse and all those involved

Corruption at the lowest levels of society - the Headman

Huge segment of underclass (especially youth) that see criminality as a way of life and profit

The manner in which the poor are quite comfortable with their women going off to work as prostitutes - I have witnessed in no other nation

The manner in which the poor send their children to work under atrocious conditions

The lack of a national "moral compass" - the moral compass is money

Poor way in which the government treats its foreign nationals

Wholly dishonest and dodgy property market

Nontransparent banking/insurance system full of fees, taxes and lacking insurance

A nation that is FAR too dependent on tourism (7% GDP) - yet discourages expat living.

A nation with needlessly complicated visa regulations - stultifying business, education and investment

Religion (philosophy) - worn on ones sleeve.

The inability to learn English as a nation, which can only forward its interests it in so many ways.

Thailand is now on track to become the "new" Philippines -rather than Malaysia. The signs have been there for years but Thailand always had a shot at the "first world". Thailand could CHOOSE to plot a new course, it had money, options and it was well thought of in the world. Thailand now appears to be out of options.

The above issues will not change and the chain of events in the last five years shows intractable positions between various interests. It has sullied its reputation and goodwill as a tourist destination. In fact, Cambodia and Philippines have arguably been more stable the last five+ years. Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration authorities seemingly go out of their way to make living or long-term stay in Thailand a bewildering experience almost always incurring large needless expenses. The experience is almost always given to arbitrariness, petty bribery and groveling. Witness the explosion of this very website. These stories by the thousands indirectly sully Thailand's reputation.

At this juncture foreigners will take a very hard look at Thailand. Investors will not create businesses, they will invest via the stock market (if at all). Thai's are not well educated and what they can mfg can easily be built in China or anywhere else. While Thailand has a great sense of style and aesthetic - it thoroughly lacks creativity and innovation. Tourists - real tourists will go elsewhere, no - really. They remember the airport fiasco and Bangkok in flames. They here about the ongoing instability and they think = Haiti. After all TAT, Thailand is only a pretty beach - don't forget it. The long stay people have already been insulted and chased out. These coupled wit the lower end expats have seen their standards of living decline 20-30% over recent years, most of which due to the controls BOT has placed on currency and trading. The rest are sort of stuck with Thailand - They purchased property, have partners, children, businesses...Any of you looking to invest in property after the events of last few months? Scant.

But with all this what still breaks my heart is when I hear about some slob living in Nakorn Nowhere, supporting an ex-prostitute and her # kids. He spends all his dosh - on them (on Thai's, on THAILAND). He is denied a visa for some asinine reason and is forced leave the country and the family. The Immigration officer could care less, not a moments sleep lost. That family because solely of that foreigner had a shot at getting out of poverty. The boy could have been an electrician, the girl a nurse. Mom could have had a dream of a tiny house and not living hand to mouth. Not working in Pattaya at 53. This is done daily. How does that benefit Thailand?

So, while I feel for Thai's - the writing was clearly on the wall. Thailand has some hard choices. Thailand has many dark forces that will only be hurt ($) by change. Remember, those with money in Thailand or in the world are stateless. One day it's Thailand the next it's Montenegro or the south of France. The only allegiance is to their god - money.

My heart goes out to all poor people. I am a person given to a 'left' perspective - but I fail to see how the actions of the Red's in the last few weeks can only be seen as destructive to person and property. Taksin has a huge hand in this. I have a feeling most of the violence is caused by dead-enders. The elite have turned themselves in long ago, they know the gig is up. just those on the barricades - if you leave, we will shoot you in the back sort of thing. so they stay. Then there are those given to criminality and arson.

Full marks, top post.

Only one criticism, you missed out the bit about being screwed for life at birth for having the wrong surname.

Thailand money number one.

This is an Editorial does that mean the editor wrote it? I think he is saying the red leaders created Frankenstein. I bet he got a very fat payday for this one! So it is ok for the Army to go to a demonstration that had no problems and start shooting people. Firstly why does none of these blogs except the fact that the army has nothing to do with it, and I really hope that Frankenstein whoever they are that sent them in, spends a lot of time cooling their heels in the dirtiest rat infested hole of a jail they can find.

But the red leaders do not have a monopoly on selfishness and insensitivity. You are right about that one go look in the mirror. And take a look at some of the politicians on both sides.

“Never mind Tiananmen Square, but let's imagine if this was Paris, London or New York, the reds doing what they have done, they wouldn't have lasted for more than a week.” The Army would not have lasted more than a week because every citizen in the country would come out and destroy the government. Can someone please explain what was wrong with there protest (apparently 5,000 people) before the army marched in with the equipment to clear 20million people, yes grenades, assault rifles, anti aircraft guns, tanks.. Paris, London, NY. Change Hands!

There was one poor bloke on this blog who lost his business because of what has happened, He was ready to do something to people who caused this he was very angry. I would bet if I was standing next to him and said something he did not like or was part of the cause, he would have punched and then kicked and maybe killed me. He sounded very angry. The reds did the wrong thing by burning and looting they saw red and where enraged, but they should be brought to justice just as the instigators will rot in hel_l. Have a spit and thuggery are crimes as are some other politicians and there handlers.

When did Abhisit make a serious offer. If he was so serious why did he start with the army and when he made his offer with conditions why didn’t he withdraw the conditions and make a serious offer? Example, ‘I will dissolve the house on Sept 1 so an election can be held on Nov14’ Very Very simple.

I still cannot understand why he wanted to stop the protest.

He should have resigned on April 11th.

Idiotorial

Given most farang in Thailand are so poor in the Thai language; they have zero chance of understanding the nuances of the things said at the rallies by the various red shirt operatives. 99% of the farang have no idea of the seditious and treasonous language used against the government. This crossed major boundaries of social/political etiquette.

Not to belabor the point; most western reporting is crap and they would have been better off showing pictures and forgetting their ill informed reportage.

Most opinions by westerners aren't worth the energy to express them.

For those interested in learning about their adopted country and culture this link may prove helpful;

somtow.org/2010/05/dont-blame-dan-rivers

I can't post a full url; you can figure it out if you are interested.

Well, grower, you would be well advised to hold your criticism of all Farang to another thread, these times are trying, but even more so with dickheads posting opinions.

There are enough "reporters " here already. without having a muppet try to interpret what they think.please go home asshol_e.

Should I ask you for another link (it will be the 4th tonight that you won't provide to me) that the sprinklers didn't work?

I wouldn't be surprised if the international media was leaning towards the red side in this conflict, considering the ridiculous number of reporters that have been injured and killed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the international media was NOT leaning towards the red side in this conflict, considering the red shirts fired grenades that injured the international media:

Yahoo News

journo2.jpg

An unidentified journalist and a Thai soldier lie injured after a grenade launcher was fired by anti-government protesters during an operation to crackdown on the Red Shirt movement, Wednesday, May 19, 2010, in Bangkok, Thailand.

journo.jpg

An unidentified injured journalist is helped by fellow newsmen after a grenade launcher was fired by anti-government protesters during an operation to crackdown on the Red Shirt movement Wednesday, May 19, 2010, in Bangkok, Thailand.

Edited by KMUTT

I wouldn't be surprised if the international media was leaning towards the red side in this conflict, considering the ridiculous number of reporters that have been injured and killed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the international media was NOT leaning towards the red side in this conflict considering the red shirts fired grenades that injured the international media:

Yahoo News

journo2.jpg

An unidentified journalist and a Thai soldier lie injured after a grenade launcher was fired by anti-government protesters during an operation to crackdown on the Red Shirt movement, Wednesday, May 19, 2010, in Bangkok, Thailand.

journo.jpg

An unidentified injured journalist is helped by fellow newsmen after a grenade launcher was fired by anti-government protesters during an operation to crackdown on the Red Shirt movement Wednesday, May 19, 2010, in Bangkok, Thailand.

Anybody who believes the government targeted reporters has real mental issues. Nothing to gain and everything to lose by doing this BUT the crazed violent criminal red mob has shown there hatred for the media and in fact WE KNOW NOW they have targeted the media.

If the majority support the government, why didn't Abhisit call an election, win it and then none of this would have happened. The blame rest firmly on his shoulders. You cannot deny people democracy year after year and expect no consequences.

You are right, in a democracy the majority rules and wins..... Democracy is NOT what is happening in Thailand. It hasn't seen democracy since the coup.

Well said. The elections which brought PPP / PT were completely undemocratic, so why are the reds complaining now??? :)

Well said jonclark! They were undemocratic elections and the PPP/PT still won.

Has anyone else noticed a seemingly marked increase in the participation and competence of the BIB? (Thai Police). Looks like since the Reds lost, they have given a collective "Oh Shit, we better start doing our jobs before we get the sack".

Thaksin? Flew his family out at the first sign of trouble, with bundles of cash. Never coming back? One can only hope.

I want TS to come back to Thailand, in a coffin.

And soon.

Stake through the heart if necessary.

Now you go to YOU TUBE and all you see is communists taking advantage of this situation and bashing the elites. i suggest they take a long vacation to Cuba or Venezuala and learn the true meaning of communism. They may come back to Thailand and want to join the yellow shirts :)

Why not North Korea, paradise for "kommis"

Some of the posters here need to calm down and really think through all that has occurred since the reds took over Bangkok in March. I concur that many TV members seem to have adopted pro-red agendas and it very may well be because they have been influenced by their Thai wives....many of whom sprang from Isaan roots and whose greater families also support the red cause. They do so because of how the reds built their base of support in Isaan and in the poorer districts of the north, creating a fabric of mistruths and slowly but inexorably beating them into an anti-government frenzy. My own spouse is not from Isaan and her northern family all consists of hard-working and moral people, but even she is beginning to see that the carefully orchestrated and putative peaceful political aims of the reds have been undermined by the other, decidedly sinister side of their strategy which believes in using broad but well-camouflaged provocative violence to create fear and sow worry amongst the Thai people...all with the grand goal of returning Thaksin and his thugs to power. In the latter regard, the reds are and will continue to do so; the extent of which nobody knows at this time. This impartial link below has been posted in another TV forum but is well worth listing again. It explains a lot and I encourage all TV readers to take a close look at it:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LE13Ae01.html

Now is not the time to continue sniping at each other on this forum. It is a time to understand what has happened to Thailand and what led us to these sad days of infamy, and to hope and pray that the huge sectarian chasm that has been created does not drop all of us into the abyss.

My compliments for this well written and intelligent post. One of the very few in a sea of propaganda type posts from yellow or red-bashers or 'kill them' shouters on this forum. I had read the article you referred to and it's really a pity many of the (flown in at the last moment) members of the internatonial media obviously didn't do so. As for this forum, many stupid and insulting posts are just irritating. However the real damage for the image of Thailand is done by the mainstream media in the West. I would qualify much of their reporting as 'bias by simplifying' and outright sensationalism. 'Turmoil and bloodshed in the land of smiles', 'the poor stand up against Bangkok elite' and 'Thai army kills pro-democracy demonstration'. I can't read or see it anymore without feeling ashamed for the cliches and superficiality of our beloved free press. And for sure my Thai famiiy don't fit in their easy picture of 'Thai reality'. They are from Issan and like others in their village fanatical yellow shirts and Thaksin haters. I can't and won't blame them or their red opponents for being manipulated. But for sure I blame the hasty and ill informed manipulators of public opinion in our rich free world.

My apologies, it appears that Jatuporn is in custody, my previous post was a mistake of mine, I was reading an article from a year ago, that presented itself and I did not notice the date was 2009 :)

So I apologize, even I can be wrong when speed is so available :D

Mai bpen rai, khrap :D

Editorial is pretty accurate, and the cowardice of the Red Leaders in the face of real adversity is quite telling. I have grudging respect for Jatuporn and Nattawut - the only two leaders who did not run away, and stayed with their followers til the end.

Thaksin? Flew his family out at the first sign of trouble, with bundles of cash. Never coming back? One can only hope.

I think among all this there is one positive thought. I don't think Thaksin will ever step foot on Thai soil again.

He overplayed his card, and he probably knows it.

Just another thought: would a Canadian PR/Law firm aiding and abetting a terrorist be guilty of any crimes in the US?

Right, but I don´t even wants him sex feet under Thai soil :)

What was burned undoubtedly proves the notion that this was pre-planned. Of all the banks that were burned, the overwhelming majority were Bangkok Banks. <snip>

A couple of brief histories:

Chin Sophonpanich was the founder of Bangkok Bank.

Born to a Chinese immigrant father and a Thai mother in Thonburi (Chinatown), Chin's daughter-in-law, the Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich, wife of Chote Sophonpanich, is currently serving as the Thai Democrat Party's Minister of Science and Technology.

Tiang Chirathivat was the founder of Central Group.

In 1927 22-year-old Tiang traversed the sea from Hainan in Mainland China to settle down in Siam. He married Khun Whan and had the first child. The family business began as a tiny retail outlet in Thonburi (Chinatown). The store moved to Charoen Krung Road, at the corner of Captain Bush Lane in Bangkok's Si Phraya district. The single unit shophouse sold a large variety of local and international newspapers and magazines and carried the name "Central Trading Store, the first chapter of Central Department Stores history.

Obviously they both worked hard and built up their Mini Empires only to see parts of it burned down and looted by a orchestrated paid for Mob who want that kind of success,but given to them on a plate without the effort.Chapter two maybe?

Some of the posters here need to calm down and really think through all that has occurred since the reds took over Bangkok in March. I concur that many TV members seem to have adopted pro-red agendas and it very may well be because they have been influenced by their Thai wives....many of whom sprang from Isaan roots and whose greater families also support the red cause. They do so because of how the reds built their base of support in Isaan and in the poorer districts of the north, creating a fabric of mistruths and slowly but inexorably beating them into an anti-government frenzy. My own spouse is not from Isaan and her northern family all consists of hard-working and moral people, but even she is beginning to see that the carefully orchestrated and putative peaceful political aims of the reds have been undermined by the other, decidedly sinister side of their strategy which believes in using broad but well-camouflaged provocative violence to create fear and sow worry amongst the Thai people...all with the grand goal of returning Thaksin and his thugs to power. In the latter regard, the reds are and will continue to do so; the extent of which nobody knows at this time. This impartial link below has been posted in another TV forum but is well worth listing again. It explains a lot and I encourage all TV readers to take a close look at it:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LE13Ae01.html

Now is not the time to continue sniping at each other on this forum. It is a time to understand what has happened to Thailand and what led us to these sad days of infamy, and to hope and pray that the huge sectarian chasm that has been created does not drop all of us into the abyss.

My compliments for this well written and intelligent post. One of the very few in a sea of propaganda type posts from yellow or red-bashers or 'kill them' shouters on this forum. I had read the article you referred to and it's really a pity many of the (flown in at the last moment) members of the internatonial media obviously didn't do so. As for this forum, many stupid and insulting posts are just irritating. However the real damage for the image of Thailand is done by the mainstream media in the West. I would qualify much of their reporting as 'bias by simplifying' and outright sensationalism. 'Turmoil and bloodshed in the land of smiles', 'the poor stand up against Bangkok elite' and 'Thai army kills pro-democracy demonstration'. I can't read or see it anymore without feeling ashamed for the cliches and superficiality of our beloved free press. And for sure my Thai famiiy don't fit in their easy picture of 'Thai reality'. They are from Issan and like others in their village fanatical yellow shirts and Thaksin haters. I can't and won't blame them or their red opponents for being manipulated. But for sure I blame the hasty and ill informed manipulators of public opinion in our rich free world.

"Fanatical yellow shirts and Thaksin haters" In Isaan?

Hmmm.....thats a rare village indeed!

I agree that the Red Shirt leadership were foolish in not accepting Abhisit's compromise without trying to attach ridiculous conditions, but fail to understand how their surrender yesterday meant they abandoned their followers. Were they supposed to encourage their followers to fight to the death?

This is a stupid and irresponsible editorial.

I think it is a well writen article by somebody who is well informed, unlike yourself............... Google the "jonestown massacre" and see how that guy Jones led masses of people in the wrong direction (almost a thousand followers commited suicide).............. Just as these lovely Isan folks, Ill-educated as most are, have been easily led astray. If you really think it is about Democracy -- you're naive......... If you notice that most of us back the Govt and a minority back the red-shirts----- If you know anything about Democracy, or life in general, you will know that the majority rules and wins............

Man I am getting tired of typing this. NO ELECTIONS ARE REQUIRED UNTIL SOMETIME IN 2011. They had elections after the coup in 2007.

Let's say he called elections next month and the democrats and their partners won? Since the reds didn't get the outcome they liked, should the govt. bow down and call elections the next month?

That would be like the McCain supporters burning down Washington because they wanted elections called after Obama was in office for a year. There are laws regarding elections and when they should be held.

Abhisit offered them elections a year early. They just became more violent. They DONT want elections. They want their paymaster Thaksin back in power. It's really quite clear. I don't understand why some posters can't understand this.

My apologies, it appears that Jatuporn is in custody, my previous post was a mistake of mine, I was reading an article from a year ago, that presented itself and I did not notice the date was 2009 :)

So I apologize, even I can be wrong when speed is so available :D

Remember the old saying and rule # 1 that says I am never wrong and rule # 2 says if you disagree then go to Rule # 1: :D

Red Shirt leader out on MP privileges to return to face charges on May 27

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Puea Thai Party MP Jatuporn Prompan, one of the core leaders of the United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) has vowed to turn himself in to the police on 27 May 2010.

After being released due to his political rights, Puea Thai Party MP Jatuporn Prompan stated that he would submit to charges against him on 27 May according to Director-General of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) Tarit Pengdit.

The Director General of the DSI stated that his deparment has already lodged charges of terrorism against three UDD core leaders who surrendered to police yesterday. Those three UDD core leaders are Puea Thai Party MP Jatuporn Prompan, Mr Nattawut Saikua and Mr Kwanchai Praipana.

Police allowed Mr Jatuporn to go free due to his rights as a member of the House of Representatives. However, Mr Tarit said that Mr Jatuporn pledged that he would turn himself in to the police again near the end of this month.

Mr Tarit added that the Criminal Court has issued arrest warrants for Ousted ex Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and ten more UDD leaders on terrorism charges.

However, the court later suspended the arrest warrant on terrorism charges issued for Mr Thaksin for undisclosed reasons and decided to convene on the matter further on 24 May 2010 at 9.00 hrs. Mr Tarit admitted that he was surprised at the court's decision.

Laugh. I'm sure he's already in the air on his way to Dubai or Montenegro

Obviously they both worked hard and built up their Mini Empires only to see parts of it burned down and looted by a orchestrated paid for Mob who want that kind of success,but given to them on a plate without the effort.Chapter two maybe?

These are not mini empires. These are empires. Yes, built up through hard work and massive corruption by foreigners, some of whom have little if any regard for the poor of their adopted country.

Som nam na.