Are The Police Stopping Mayhem In Chiang Mai?

Ulysses G.

Are the Police stopping Mayhem in CM?

They didn't stop anything in BKK so why should they stop any thing in CM or any other Red Northern strong hold come to that.

The way i see it is it is going to be so difficult to get either the Police or even the Army come to that to exert any measures to stop any civil unrest most if not all These Police and army guys up here in the North/East are indigenous to that area and supportive of the Red movement and the others who may not be supportive are going to be a little afraid of doing any thing to upset the apple cart with in their community.

The Police do not hold any real Power in The kingdom, it is the Army that holds it as seen in the 2006 Coup the Police were polity told to go home and leave it to the big boys.

The Army also is funded by the government where the police it seems are largely funded by as i have said before by how many People they can catch not wearing a Helmut.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needless to say, I would welcome a re-elected Democrat-led government just the same, and to be honest that looks a lot more likely! :)

Many of us who were here in 2000 leading up to the Jan 6, 2001 election remember the feeling among many that this new guy from CM ... Thaksin ... was something special. Someone who was reform-minded but who could unite people.

Things seemed to go smoothly for a while after that.

Then ... well, ... ouch.

Where will the next white knight be coming from?

Also, it seems as if the more moderate leaders quit after the peace deal was rejected.

Yes they did and look where the country is now.

I really think if the road map that the moderates in charge at the time had been given the chance to have more on going talks with the Present government then things would have been totally different now and the country would'nt be in this mess.

The only way out of this mess IMHO is to get the road map or some sort of an equivalent back on the table, but cant help thinking that is pretty remote now.

What makes you think the police aren't redshirt supporters?

Chiang Mai is a rebel stronghold.

It only appears to be foreigners in CM who think the redshirts are wrong.

When/If the redshirts win, lets hope they don't throw all foreigners out of the country because some foreigners can't control their mouths.

Good post.

Wouldn`t say that all Thais in Chiang Mai are red shirt supporters, but certainly the overwhelming majority.

I couldn’t give a rat’s arse who gets in here.

I don’t give a toss who’s running the show providing my family and I can continue to plod along in Thailand in peace and tranquillity.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but until the Thai powers that be give me some form of real immigration status, rather than being just a glorified tourist that can be thrown out the Kingdom at a moments notice, than I shall stay neutral, keep a low profile and not openly express my political views in this foreign land where I have no status and not considered as a part of Thai society, whatsoever.

Farangs that get intentionally involved within this country’s turmoil are fools or Thai wanabe hopefuls.

Edited by BigWheelMan

Good post.

Wouldn`t say that all Thais in Chiang Mai are red shirt supporters, but certainly the overwhelming majority.

I couldn’t give a rat’s arse who gets in here.

I don’t give a toss who’s running the show providing my family and I can continue to plod along in Thailand in peace and tranquillity.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but until the Thai powers that be give me some form of real immigration status, rather than being just a glorified tourist that can be thrown out the Kingdom at a moments notice, than I shall stay neutral, keep a low profile and not openly express my political views in this foreign land where I have no status and not considered as a part of Thai society, whatsoever.

Farangs that get intentionally involved within this country’s turmoil are fools or Thai wanabe hopefuls.

massive generalisation that. not one thai person i know endorses or supports what the redshirts did in bangkok or what they did here yesterday. in fact they're more sad and ashamed of what's happening in and to their country. you should think on before tarring the majority of thai locals in chiang mai with the tiny minority brush.

massive generalisation that. not one thai person i know endorses or supports what the redshirts did in bangkok or what they did here yesterday. in fact they're more sad and ashamed of what's happening in and to their country. you should think on before tarring the majority of thai locals in chiang mai with the tiny minority brush.

and so on ... ad infinitum.. until elections. yawwwwn.

Maybe the Abhisit govt are too stingy to splash out on bits of paper and polling booth equipment.

or is it the 'fair' elections thing... well, after 60+ dead and 000's wounded I suspect it will be a loooong time before any Dem candidate can show his face in a northern village! - but hey, they control all the TV stations - not to mention some 'forums', so it kinda evens out. Maybe if a politician cant hold a campaign in Issan that might tell you something about voting patterns...

all that is needed is for the votes to be secret and counted fairly.

Edited by whiterussian

We were reading a blog by a Thai guy (presumably updated by Blackberry or something) as things unfolded in ChiangMai yesterday. In one incident he witnessed, the criminals in red blocked a bridge and when the police came in their car the reds shouted at them and threw rocks, and the police ran away like girls leaving their car. I am going to have trouble not laughing when I next encounter a Thai policeman - it may not be red but they sure have shown THEIR true colours right through this debacle.

The criminals in red appear to be following at least some sort of rudimentary plan. I can't help but wonder why the authorities didn't have undercover people at their camp at the hotel - getting intelligence - and readying countermeasures ... ie. adequate numbers of police and army at bridges, BKK bank branches, etc. Couldn't tear themselves away from the TV set for long enough or what?

This is wrong. I was there. The police pulled up and were rushed by 200 or so protesters. They backed off. The problem was that later, about 5 or 6 when most of the more serious criminals were gone they did not come in and restore order.

You are making one error here; If the red shirts / Thaksin should succeed in toppling the government, farangs would leave Thailand anyway, take their businesses and jobs they created for Thais and take them to Laos or Vietnam or Malaysia, where farangs are not called farangs and are far more welcome than in this country under the best of times, because nobody would want to live in the shit pile this country would become.

Than you can all sit together, eat som tam, drink lao kao and be proud of having reversed time, having turned this country into a banana republic ones again.

Well said. It never ceases to amaze me that there aren't more educated and intelligent TV members that realize that that is exactly where Thailand will be once Thaksin comes back.

Probably Dr. Thaksin is too controversial a figure, but I for one would welcome any democratically elected government, including one that's exactly like Thai Rak Thai was. (Pro rural Thailand, pro business, pro law & order) Some 'Farangs' just hold a grudge because of the social order campaign. Many sexpat rejects thrive on social disorder, hence the rabid hatred of Thai Rak Thai and Thaksin in particular.

Needless to say, I would welcome a re-elected Democrat-led government just the same, and to be honest that looks a lot more likely! :)

You would welcome a return to "democratically elected"? The current government is exactly that! Or do you mean "Democratically elected through vote-buying and electoral fraud"? How does that match with your pro-"Law and Order" stance? Thaksin was pro-Thaksin business .. not Pro-Business. By Pro-Law and Order I guess you mean Pro-extra-judicial-murders?

Then comes your winning argument ----- those people that have a "rabid hatred" of Thaksin must be "sexpat rejects"! ---- congrats! You ARE the lowest common denominator now .....

I have no interest to engage in political bickering or flaming. You're reading things in my post that aren't there; please take a breather. I stated my opinion, shown above, and that's all I have to say. Please direct your flames elsewhere if you think they're worth reading by anyone.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I have no interest to engage in political bickering or flaming. You're reading things in my post that aren't there; please take a breather. I stated my opinion, shown above, and that's all I have to say. Please direct your flames elsewhere if you think they're worth reading by anyone.

Ummmm

I didn't call you or anyone else names in my post. Your post that I replied to DID INCLUDE at least three flames but hey ........

I stated my opinion that yours was ill-considered (by example and without saying anything about the people that think differently than I do!) I didn't include "Rabid" "Sexpat" or "Rejects" in what I wrote other than to quote your verbage that you used in your flames :)

Adolf Hitler came to power through the ballot box - remember that. If someone had put a bullet through Adolf's head in 1935, the world would have been a lot better off.

And your point is.....?? :)

Adolf Hitler came to power through the ballot box - remember that. If someone had put a bullet through Adolf's head in 1935, the world would have been a lot better off.

Nip the problem in the bud, but I thought that was obvious from my post. Oh well, never mind. :D

Nip the problem in the bud, but I thought that was obvious from my post. Oh well, never mind. :D

Just curious if you were advocating anything illegal on the ThaiVisa forum.... :D

Just curious if you were advocating anything illegal on the ThaiVisa forum.... :D

Is timetravel illegal? It would be a paradox - if you go back and kill Hitler before he did anything you would be killing an innocent. Why go back to kill him? He had to commit his evil deeds to warrant timetravel back to remove him. Paradox.

Just curious, wonder if there would be an Israel at all if not for Hitler? Good from evil? (suppose it depends on your views on Israel)

Edited by wolf5370

In order to not be a 'sexpat' you would need to

1) not be living long-term in Thailand

2) not have had sex with a Thai person

I admit to both and therefore confess to being a sexpat.

After a moments thought 90 percent of all white people I have spoken to fit the description.

PS

Under Godwins Law, the redshirts win the topic.

Edited by sarahsbloke

After a moments thought 90 percent of all white people I have spoken to fit the description.

PS

I’m a sexpat and proud of it.

Problem is, now because of all these curfews and lack of cash due to the ever decreasing bahts for my £s, I’m no longer able to fulfil my sexpat urges.

Does anybody know where I can order a Thai BG takeaway and do they do home delivery?

PS

I’m a sexpat and proud of it.

Problem is, now because of all these curfews and lack of cash due to the ever decreasing bahts for my £s, I’m no longer able to fulfil my sexpat urges.

Does anybody know where I can order a Thai BG takeaway and do they do home delivery?

Sorry but I am sure they exist.....but as there is a State of emergency banning groups of 5 or over you can only order 3 at a time.

Edited by harrry

^

There were two: the guy in green and an older bald farang wearing a shirt with trousers. I would guess the bald one works here. Somebody must know these two <deleted>. Maybe this is a job for the investigative powers of the volunteer tourist police.

Ok, I'm not sure just what to make of this. Yesterday my wife went to Lamphun with a couple of friends. When she returned to C.M. later in the evening she stopped to visit her favorite cousin, who's husband is a Senior Sergeant with the local BIB. According to her, he told her that 5 people were killed Wednesday night by soldiers, but there are no witnesses, so it will never make the news. Has anyone else heard anything like this that might substantiate it?

P.S. My wife is not one who lies or makes things up, so don't even go there.

Ok, I'm not sure just what to make of this. Yesterday my wife went to Lamphun with a couple of friends. When she returned to C.M. later in the evening she stopped to visit her favorite cousin, who's husband is a Senior Sergeant with the local BIB. According to her, he told her that 5 people were killed Wednesday night by soldiers, but there are no witnesses, so it will never make the news. Has anyone else heard anything like this that might substantiate it?

P.S. My wife is not one who lies or makes things up, so don't even go there.

You did say previously that this policeman is a rabid red. It's very possible that he may be telling porkies to damage the reputation of the government. After all there is no other report of anyone dying. If there were, the red shirts would be parading the bodies through the streets as they did in Bangkok.

I hope this idiot farang is named and shamed.... (and prosecuted then deported)

stay out of it dude.. it aint your business....

so the guy throws a stone or two at something or someone and he is what?

lol talk about double standards !!!

on this thread alone we have had people saying that the police are inept, corrupt and inefficient; Adolf Hitler has been mentioned and numerous other derogatory and inflammatory statements have been made. And do those actions get the sheep bar baring?

Nah of course not. Maybe if the sheep had the courage of their convictions they would be out there doing something rather than being keyboard kooks and nannas in dressing gowns whinging and wining.

Flame on fuddy duddies... :)