Bangkok Protests Spread To Thailand's Northeast

george

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone have a list of these provinces under curfew?

They are listed on the story on TV on the Curfew. It appears that all provinces in Isaan are under curfew. Many government buildings are being burned by Red Shirts in all the major cities in Isaan.

WHY? I am not Thai but I don't understand why burn down buildings in their own cities (rampaging. looting, burning buildings in THIER capital city is bad enough) This makes me question if they are capable to make good sensible decisions when they vote in a democratic election.

I am very annoyed at some schools where I am in Issan have closed for the week because the teachers want to go to Ubon to destroy. Can you make sense of that? No thoughts for the future generations. Hop on the bandwagon and hope to be paid at the end of the day. All those teachers who have taken the next few days off should be fired my the MOE and never be hired again.

I have been teaching my village kids all day and will do so tommorow.. and the funny thing is that they all want to learn

Ahh come on now and stop complaining and enjoy the free time with your kids. :D There's no "free lunch" as they will have to make it up at the end of semester (as required). :)

Better they burn their own city and resources than those of other cities.

Ever consider that Bangkok has been taking most of their share of the resources for years....?

Bangkok is the capital of Thailand. In every state in the U.S. the majority of taxes go to that state's capitol. Much more from each state goes to the capital of the country, Washington, D.C. The states are allowed to dole out some money for cities & counties but the rest of the money the states get come from the capital, Washington, D.C. It is pretty much that way in every country in the world. The capitals of most countries such as Paris (France), London (UK) are the capitals where the government representing all parts of the country meet to make the laws that govern the people. And, so, Bangkok gets money from the provinces, including the province Bkk is in, and puts it all in a big pot and then the government in Bkk decides where that money is to be spent. Of course they have the help of the representatives from each province & municipalities to vote on who gets what. All of Isaan is a net gainer in money from Bkk. All the provinces in Isaan to generate more money that is given to them - each province. Even in Communist countries such as Cuba, they have a capital, Havana, and in that city it is decided by whomever who gets what. Bkk needs more money to operate a city of 12 million people than does Maha Sarakham which has 80,000 population. That is the way it is. How would you change this?

I am very annoyed at some schools where I am in Issan have closed for the week because the teachers want to go to Ubon to destroy. Can you make sense of that? No thoughts for the future generations. Hop on the bandwagon and hope to be paid at the end of the day. All those teachers who have taken the next few days off should be fired my the MOE and never be hired again.

I have been teaching my village kids all day and will do so tommorow.. and the funny thing is that they all want to learn

Yes..but since you are restricted to certain rules from the Thai Goverment on what you may learn them, what's the use if you can't tell the truth huh? :)

they wanna learn ...what? how to be guerillas, drink, gamble, swindle foreigners like William Monson?

Better they burn their own city and resources than those of other cities.

Ever consider that Bangkok has been taking most of their share of the resources for years....?

Bangkok is the capital of Thailand. In every state in the U.S. the majority of taxes go to that state's capitol. Much more from each state goes to the capital of the country, Washington, D.C. The states are allowed to dole out some money for cities & counties but the rest of the money the states get come from the capital, Washington, D.C. It is pretty much that way in every country in the world. The capitals of most countries such as Paris (France), London (UK) are the capitals where the government representing all parts of the country meet to make the laws that govern the people. And, so, Bangkok gets money from the provinces, including the province Bkk is in, and puts it all in a big pot and then the government in Bkk decides where that money is to be spent. Of course they have the help of the representatives from each province & municipalities to vote on who gets what. All of Isaan is a net gainer in money from Bkk. All the provinces in Isaan to generate more money that is given to them - each province. Even in Communist countries such as Cuba, they have a capital, Havana, and in that city it is decided by whomever who gets what. Bkk needs more money to operate a city of 12 million people than does Maha Sarakham which has 80,000 population. That is the way it is. How would you change this?

thanks for spelling that out to 'em grey. another thing to point out is that the reps from Isaan are rather rich themselves.

Most of the police are nothing more than traffic/ticketing cops. The rest of them won't do anything on their own unless they are ordered to do something. The gov. is about an inept as you can get. How else can you explain allowing thousands of people into your capital and letting them to setup shop completely untouched. Its beyond ridiculous.
I'm so disappointed watching this video clip. I was born and raised in Khon Kaen. I watched local news yesterday, police and soldiers were just walking around. They didn't do anything to stop those silly red shirts!

@dreamtime: That's not true, the police recovered my stolen motor bike once. I showed them a picture of the guy who stole it, the green book and they got him. Called me the next day and wanted 4,000 Baht, I said pang, too much, so they said 2,000 Baht, I said okay. See, they do their job! You just have to pay for services rendered... :)

Seriously chaps you have far too much time on your hands. You must realise that the only outcome of these posts is to vent your anger and thoughts to those people who quite frankly dont give a rats arse. Whats the point...!! >?

My opinion is this.

If you live in Quailand and for whatever reason see urself staying here for any length of time try to stay away from the thick faces and politics of a country we dont belong. I was in down town and due to diversions ended up on the protest street with all the action. No stranger to danger as an ex army soldier, even I was un-nerved when our tires were shot out. Remember the Infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

So let the monkeys work it out and enjoy your tipple.

Many Regards.

Stavros.

post-52627-1274358647_thumb.jpg

post-52627-1274358777_thumb.jpg

May I suggest that factual information about trouble in the provinces stay at the earlier thread here, and this thread be reserved for opinions and comments of a less objective nature?

Spreading the factual up-dates over many threads makes it so hard to keep up with the situation in the provinces. Please?

Do you own this thread? You can skip over those remarks you don't like or you consider off subject. I do it all the time. All of these threads ARE tied together because you have Red Shirts from the North and Northeast wreaking havoc all over Bkk and the north & northeast of Thailand. These are ignorant thugs who care about nothing. Those who take up for these people are condoning the violence. Period.

Maybe we should just eliminate all thais and start with a new race of people. You are so particular about who survives and who dies then let's start from scratch.

:D

Look I'm not a Reds supporter, nor am I apologising for them. But don't think that the destruction is simply a mindless reaction of ignorant farmers.

First of all, many of them have been told they would "win" and now the didn't win. It's a natural human reaction to react with anger at events you don't like. Haven't you ever heard of riots at a football match that went against one team? It happens all the time.

Secondly, many of the poor in Issan don't think of the government as "their government". So what if they burn down a government building...it's not "their" property. They don't see the government as being relevant to their lives anyhow.

And thirdly, there is a state of anger in which a person goes beyond reason and rationality. Haven't you ever been so angry you threw something at a wall. What did that item you threw have to do with the reason you were angry? Most times, it had nothing to do with what made you angry.

In Psychlogy, that is called a "fauge state"....a state where you lash out blindly and irrationally at anyone near you in anger.

It's human nature...Farang as well as Thai.

:)

That doesn't mean I condone it...I'm just explaining what is happening.

Look I'm not a Reds supporter, nor am I apologising for them. But don't think that the destruction is simply a mindless reaction of ignorant farmers.

First of all, many of them have been told they would "win" and now the didn't win. It's a natural human reaction to react with anger at events you don't like. Haven't you ever heard of riots at a football match that went against one team? It happens all the time.

Secondly, many of the poor in Issan don't think of the government as "their government". So what if they burn down a government building...it's not "their" property. They don't see the government as being relevant to their lives anyhow.

And thirdly, there is a state of anger in which a person goes beyond reason and rationality. Haven't you ever been so angry you threw something at a wall. What did that item you threw have to do with the reason you were angry? Most times, it had nothing to do with what made you angry.

In Psychlogy, that is called a "fauge state"....a state where you lash out blindly and irrationally at anyone near you in anger.

mob syndrome, to put it concisely.

Any problem in Surin or Buriram??

Perhaps Khmer people have a bit more shall we say smarts.

I really did enjoy World Trade Center, the trouble must stop ASAP regardless of the cost.

subjugated for years as you don't know.

If Newin say jump and burn, they jump and burn, if Newin say sit down, write email, they do that.

Nobody (surprise anybody now know this) do anything unless Newin say in this mafia heartland. Read about the vote that got Abhisit the Puppet Minister job? Thought not, best not google it or it will upset you.

Nice to see people back in Isaan away from the corrupting polluted fetid air of Bangkok with it's sex slave industry as its main draw. say a lot about many people who live there and pattaya. "I live here for the beach" they say..... right :)

In fairness it has to be pointed out that Newin is no different form any of the PTP godfathers and feudal elite that simlalry control such places as Udon (most opf the Isaan in fact) and swathes of the north too. If attacking Newin these dudes need attacking too even if they are to some degree PTP MPs and red leaders or funders favoured by those who see Newin as one thing but fail to see the PTP equivalants as the same.

Still right now we have worse people to worry about with their arson terror campaigns

Might be a blessing in disguise. Let the up country folk feel a little of the pain we have had in BKK for almost 2 months, and it might open their eyes in the next election.... Then again....

skippybangkok,

This is the most stupidest post that I have ever read? What are you trying to say? Is it the fact that because we live in the Northeast, we deserve to have some of what you have had to suffer in Bangkok. I didn't wish this to happen in Bangkok or in any other province, and was devasted each day I saw on the news what was happening to you folk down there. You chose to live in Bangkok and I and many others chose to live in Khon Kaen. As we say in England, "If the kitchen is getting too hot for you, then get the bleep out of there!"

You need to engage your minute brain into gear before putting pen to paper and making stupid remarks like this. I too have had to suffer what you have, but mine was 1st hand. I think that a trip to the shrink by you wouldn't go amiss!

I appreciate your position but your will get flamed endlessly for a statement like this.

Edited by expat8

I agree with you

Fauge State is an extremely rare condition, and does not cover what has happened here. Logically the nearest legalistic view would be acting whilst the balance of the mind was impaired, however, such a defence fails if premeditation can be shown. Since in the cases here, planning [positioning of flammable materiel, addition of accelerators [e.g. petrol] such a defence would fail.

There was, and is shown clearly too much premeditation, this was no cry of anguish, it was a series of carefully planned acts, designed to create an atmosphere of fear.

Regards

I'm so disappointed watching this video clip. I was born and raised in Khon Kaen. I watched local news yesterday, police and soldiers were just walking around. They didn't do anything to stop those silly red shirts!

Probably because they are shooting their own foot, these are after all their own community resources and aren't they also governed by favorable politicians so therefore the wrong targets? It's all too Thai for me...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Does anyone have a list of these provinces under curfew?

Hi all,

Me to!! does anyone know what provinces?? I'm in Malaysia at the moment, but I am due to fly to Udon Thani on 29th May which is just over a week now. Then car journey to Sakon Nakhon.

- Ayuthaya

- Bangkok metropolitan area

- Chaiyaphum

- Chiang Mai

- Chiang Rai

- Chonburi

- Kalasin

- Khon Kaen

- Lampang

- Mahasarakham

- Mukdaharn

- Nakhon Pathom

- Nakhon Ratchasima

- Nakhon Sawan

- Nan

- Nong Bua Lamphu

- Nonthaburi

- Pathum Thani

- Roi Et

- Sakon Nakhon

- Samut Prakarn

- Sisaket

- Ubon Ratchathani

- Udon Thani

Plz need a quick reply if posible, does pattaya under curfew? cuz planning to be there early morning.

- Ayuthaya

- Bangkok metropolitan area

- Chaiyaphum

- Chiang Mai

- Chiang Rai

- Chonburi

- Kalasin

- Khon Kaen

- Lampang

- Mahasarakham

- Mukdaharn

- Nakhon Pathom

- Nakhon Ratchasima

- Nakhon Sawan

- Nan

- Nong Bua Lamphu

- Nonthaburi

- Pathum Thani

- Roi Et

- Sakon Nakhon

- Samut Prakarn

- Sisaket

- Ubon Ratchathani

- Udon Thani

May I suggest that factual information about trouble in the provinces stay at the earlier thread here, and this thread be reserved for opinions and comments of a less objective nature?

Spreading the factual up-dates over many threads makes it so hard to keep up with the situation in the provinces. Please?

Do you own this thread?

Geez lighten up, would you? I simply made a polite request, using all the proper words: "May I suggest," "please." No I don't own the thread, but you appear to own a very thin skin! :)

Can't say I'm surprised by this latest development. How long before it's all out war?

Nobody wins with a war,both sides know that.The rich clans did loose already much money by the occupation of the shopping center(s). If you hurt the rich in their pocket,they become unpleasant.The PM is just a puppet on a string for the Bkk elite.They didn't want new elections of course, so the puppet did listen to his masters.What starts as peacefull protest ended in a massacre.Long live the dictatorial regime:-(

This protest was the working class who want democracy and social protection, but is Thaksin a democrat like we know it? I doubt, because Thai people seem to like a "strong man" in charge.If you want to re-organise the working class, than you have to start with forming Unions, from there on ,you can build on polical power, that is how it went in Europe late 19th century.Many deads as well back than, because the rich don't like to share, but that is nothing new

Fauge State is an extremely rare condition, and does not cover what has happened here. Logically the nearest legalistic view would be acting whilst the balance of the mind was impaired, however, such a defence fails if premeditation can be shown. Since in the cases here, planning [positioning of flammable materiel, addition of accelerators [e.g. petrol] such a defence would fail.

There was, and is shown clearly too much premeditation, this was no cry of anguish, it was a series of carefully planned acts, designed to create an atmosphere of fear.

Regards

Neither Google search nor Webster's dictionary can corroborate with your term ""fauge state." Could it be a spelling error?

I agree with you

Almost 50 years ago JFK on the dangers of communism, "We face a challenge in Berlin, but there is also a challenge in Southeast Asia, where the borders are less guarded, the enemy harder to find, and the dangers of communism less apparent to those who have so little."

Or Jackson Browne even, Life's in the Balance .......But who are the ones that we call our friends, these governments killing their own, or the people who finally can't take anymore and they pick up a gun or a brick or a stone.

Its hard to feel your part of an "economic miracle" when you send your kid to a village school where they want for even the basic materials. Whatever, I could go on but the farangs here are as polarised as the society we are debating.

Disaffected, uneducated, unemployable, lazy 'Baan Nork', oiled up on Lao Khao, and angry because the pipeline of handouts has dried up decide to burn their own homeland.

They would have been better off all along, following the Sufficiency Economy model, adopting some modern farming techniques, and investing those handouts in that, instead of spending the money on new pickups and motorcycles they can't pay for, and basically complaining all the time about their lot in life and blaming the invisible "elite".

Ironically, Abhisit has recently helped them all greatly, with farmer debt relief, by instituting free education and moving towards a social welfare society which he has publically advocated on numerous occasions.

Unfortunately, all of that takes time and effort, and therefore doesn't feed into the impatient Baan Nork's sense of entitlement, and need for instant gratification via handouts, without work.

During his 5 years in power, Thaksin created a monster, by giving these country folk easy money. The country is now reaping the "reward" for his largesse funded by tax-payers' money (largely Bangkok tax-payers, ironically).

If there is such a thing as karma, one hopes that Thaksin gets his just desserts for causing all of this.

Another good post - seems the forum is getting thinking members at last LOL :)

agree with most, appart from the "bold highlights", you tried puting a kid into school in baan nork, it aint free yet...but good post

Can't say I'm surprised by this latest development. How long before it's all out war?

Roughly, within the next 13 months, and it will last for 2-5 years.

A significant event will occur.

Demonstrations in the provinces will turn to riots, catastrophic attacks on infrastructure; road and rail sabotage. Highways blocked at random.

Government buildings attacked, bombed, burned (we've just seen a pre-view over the last 36 hours).

Road blocks set up by local militias in rural areas.

National parks will again become refuges (not unlike post-1976).

Typical day/night operations - government forces will have control during day, Red Shrits will control during the night.

Military loyalties will realign and shift, partly in response to political sympathies and partly as econonmic opportunities appear as a result of boycotts and blockades.

Flow of agricultural products and goods to BKK will slow down.

Generals will pick up the slack, purchase agricultural goods regionally and engage in massive cross-border trading in the Second and Third Army Areas with the goods that were formerly going to Bangkok.

Willingness of military to allow elections and frequency of elections will affect longterm outcome.

Expect that a more highly-eductated, better informed Krungthep populace, plus international pressure, will ensure that first rounds of elections occur within one year of military stepping up to stabilize government.

But hey, what do I know.

(If asked, I read this in a book and I forgot the title). :)

Edited by Totsagan