Non-imm O Visiting Friend

I'm enquiring on behalf of a US lady who has been here on a Visit Visa (not sure whether she's extended beyond 60 days yet). She has a Thai neighbour who could sponsor with a copy i/d card.

Having trawled through a few relevant threads I would just like to clarify whether she could get the 1-year Non-Imm O anywhere locally. As far as I can see, the only place where this is issued as a matter of course is Hull, UK. She says Perth is a non-starter because she once collected a conviction in the USA for non-payment of fines.

She may be over 50, but I am unsure whether she is willing or able to meet the financial requirements, and in any case her criminal record would disqualify her from a Retirement Non-O.

So I'm just wondering whether there's any way she can avoid doing the rounds of laos/Malaysia etc collecting further visit visas.

It is either Perth with a copy of ID from a Thai friend or Hull.

A criminal conviction is no problem for an O visa based on retirement, as it is not checked. Only for an O-A visa is a criminal background check required.

She can get an extension of stay based on retirement is she can show:

800,000 in a Thai bank for 3 months (first time 2 months)

OR

have an income from 65,000 (can be from abroad)

OR

have a combination of money in the bank and yearly income of at least 800,000.

It is either Perth with a copy of ID from a Thai friend or Hull.

A criminal conviction is no problem for an O visa based on retirement, as it is not checked. Only for an O-A visa is a criminal background check required.

She can get an extension of stay based on retirement is she can show:

800,000 in a Thai bank for 3 months (first time 2 months)

OR

have an income from 65,000 (can be from abroad)

OR

have a combination of money in the bank and yearly income of at least 800,000.

OK, thanks. But the RTE KL website states that a med cert and criminal record check are required with the application. See this:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1387.php?&id=3921

- and it looks like they only issue a single-entry 90-day visa, so is this the full O-A application? Won't they issue a 'Hull-type' O visa?

Some embassies only will issue a O-A visa to people asking for a visa based on retirement and refused to issue a non-O.

Apperently KL is one of them. I'm not aware that KL only issues O-A or also for a non-O visa requires medical and police check.

You might find more information in the pinned topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Latest-Repor...on-t189375.html

However, in Vientianne it should be no problem. Also not at many other Thai consulates in the region.

Her American conviction would not be a problem in Australia. It need not be the "non-starter" you described.

If a retirement visa is not under consideration, your friend could apply to the embassy to visit friends or "partners."

According to the Thai consulate's website in Western Australia, in order to obtain such a visa,

- In cases of visits to "partners" the application must be accompanied by a photocopy of the partner's Thai I.D. card/passport

- If the visit is not connected with wives/partners the reasons for the visit must be in writing. Consideration will be given by this office to issuing a double or triple Tourist Visa instead of a Non Immigrant visa.

Note that if she uses this s a reason for obtaining a visa she should legitimately staying with/visiting those friend(s) for it to be legal.

Our expert Legal Advisors can provide you a more detailed information about visa requirements, work permit and company legal issues.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png