Thai Movie Director Speaks Out

Lancelot

CANNES (AFP) -- Thai arthouse director Apichatpong Weerasethakal slammed the country's tough censorship rules as his latest movie entered the race for the top Cannes film festival award on Friday.

Acclaimed by many Western film critics for his "auteur" offerings, his latest movie "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives" is a parable "on a cinema that's also dying or dead", he said.

"But you cannot blame Thai film-makers," he said at a press conference. "They cannot do anything because of these censorship laws."

"We cannot make a movie on the current situation," he added, "due to laws that ban threats to national security. Anything can be thrown into that."

The film-maker, who said he flew out of Bangkok "as the city was burning", expressed hoped that "something will change for the best" from the current chaos.

"Thailand is a violent country," he said. "It's controlled by a group of mafia."

Interesting that a Thai is criticizing the country and stating what most people already know but refuse to talk about. I think it is a positive development if Thais begin to think criticaly and publicly acknowledge that all is not well in the so called Land of Smiles.

Stating the obvious does not mean that a person is not patriotic or does not "Love Thailand." ( I only love Mama & Papa :) ) I hope this trend continues in a peaceful and constructive manner and that the Thais learn some conflict resolution skills :D

I actually saw something about the Cannes Film Festival on Thai news. This was at work (not at home).

As the clip was being played (somebody talking at the festival), many of my Thai colleagues left the room.

I have no idea what was being said in the clip. Nor do I have any idea why my colleagues were not interested in the clip.

..."Thailand is a violent country," he said.

Talk about stating the obvious. :)

TheWalkingMan

I would agree with you WM but loads of folks will argue until their last breath that "Thailand is the most peaceful country on earth..." I think what creates this illusion is that by the time most foreigners realize that they are in trouble here (in Thailand) its too late.

"Thailand is a violent country," he said. "It's controlled by a group of mafia."

Cue all the falang who say, "What Thailand are you living in? I've never seen any violence or mafia here." :)

Could we be seeing a bit of an awakening, or at least some introspection from Thais about Thais. If they allow themselves an honest look they will be on the way to progress. Bumpy road ahead, but maybe necessary to get to a better future.

I reckon that Apichatpong would agree with me if I put to him that many Thai people have their heads firmly buried in the sand.

Even some of my work colleagues (Thais), who are great people, can't seem to get past the "program", by which they live.

The comments I hear are things like, "Thailand/Thais are not supposed to be this way. Thailand/Thais are supposed to behave in <x, y, z> manner."

I can see confusion on the faces of my colleagues. On one hand, they insist that Thailand should be 'wonderful' & on the other hand, they can clearly see that it is not. I believe their confusion exists because they can see that the "program" is failing & they don't know of any way to solve the problem (apart from "following the program").

People like Apichatpong are the ones whose "openess" will hopefully "free" the people of Thailand.

I hope he continues to make many more films & I especially hope he maintains his provocative nature.

Edited by elkangorito

TheWalkingMan

No its not. People are reading into it too much. I think the young Thai men red shirts where just having a little too much fun in the end. If I was a young Thai red shirt I would have been right in there. Although the risks where high, it looked like allot of fun.

TheWalkingMan

No its not. People are reading into it too much. I think the young Thai men red shirts where just having a little too much fun in the end. If I was a young Thai red shirt I would have been right in there. Although the risks where high, it looked like allot of fun.

George W, Apichatpong was not talking about red shirts. He was speaking generally & I believe he is true to his word.

The only person "reading into it too much" is you.

There is no need whatsoever, to 'politicise' a perfectly good non-political thread. When are you & many other newbies going to realise this?

"Thailand is a peaceful country" if you have been systematically indoctrinated with that from birth onwards. A Thai need only revere three things and we all know what they are. It is known amongst the intellectuals that a free mind can also be wild and out of control. That is why obedience is so important for the masses. As long as there is an uneducated bewildered herd, there will be no real democracy but the illusion of democracy while the real players make decisions behind the scenes. I do not love Abhist nor do I love Thaksin - you need only read a bit of Thai hostory to see what I am getting at, some popular themes that are still relevant today in the wake of the last 2 months.

I fully agree with you ariesram74.

Thai Culture is an overwhelming & totally pervasive thing. It permeates into every corner of Thai life.

Sadly, the 'elite' know perfectly well that the 'masses' are 'unaware' of many things & as such, choose to take advantage of their ignorance.

This country will change when people are able to 'freely think'. I believe that it should start with education. Notwithstanding this, 'movies' are also a good start. The Thai government's cencorship of movies is nothing more than ridiculous.

Hopefully, this thread will not disappear into the depths of TV due to the incredible number of people who insist upon ranting about the political situation.

Edited by elkangorito

TheWalkingMan

Please tell me you're not talking about the murder, looting and arson? :D

TheWalkingMan

Please tell me you're not talking about the murder, looting and arson? :D

Sigh...

Thailand is a nice country with people who are just as violent as people from my home country, the USA. It is not a place immune to the emotions of all of us humans.

I presume that Apichatpong Weerasethakal is a Thai person who knows his country very well and I believe his statement about violence more that the average non-Thai who claims peacefulness.

Thailand is a nice place which has its pluses along with its minuses. And one of the minuses, besides the double pricing, is the violence. The violence seems to go through many levels of society. I went to a wedding near Khon Kaen and they had police security and right on cue a fight broke out. In all the weddings I went to in the States or Japan, I never saw police security and never saw a fight break out.

I am sure that most of us have stories relating to violence in their home country and I would be willing to bet that others could provide corresponding stories happening in Thailand.

TheWalkingMan

If I was a young Thai red shirt I would have been right in there. Although the risks where high, it looked like allot of fun.

George W, Apichatpong was not talking about red shirts. He was speaking generally & I believe he is true to his word.

Actually, it seems he was talking about red shirts:

But the director said his thoughts mainly had been turned toward the violence that has occurred back home, where government forces and protesters in the "red shirt" movement have clashed repeatedly on the streets of Bangkok.

"I feel worried about my home town in Bangkok because when I was leaving, it was when the peak of the violence was happening, so my mind was more in Thailand," he told Reuters in an interview.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wirest...2353&page=1

• Like 1

If I was a young Thai red shirt I would have been right in there. Although the risks where high, it looked like allot of fun.

Actually, it seems he was talking about red shirts:

But the director said his thoughts mainly had been turned toward the violence that has occurred back home, where government forces and protesters in the "red shirt" movement have clashed repeatedly on the streets of Bangkok.

"I feel worried about my home town in Bangkok because when I was leaving, it was when the peak of the violence was happening, so my mind was more in Thailand," he told Reuters in an interview.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wirest...2353&page=1

The clip I quoted from is available at this website:

http://www.bangkokrecorder.com/press-confe...h-apichatpong-w

All I did was record the last part of the interview. If you listen to it (the part I recorded), Apichatpong's comments do not directly relate to anything about red shirts.

sidenote, if anyone is interested in a fantastic indie thai movie, i suggest spending 2 quiet hours with 'Syndromes and a Century'. it's just a nice story that's devoid of anything violent or political. check it out, but don't expect explosions and wife beating. in fact, it's the complete opposite of every thai sopa opera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndromes_and_a_Century

TheWalkingMan

I would agree with you WM but loads of folks will argue until their last breath that "Thailand is the most peaceful country on earth..." I think what creates this illusion is that by the time most foreigners realize that they are in trouble here (in Thailand) its too late.

Well.......it is violent at times and in certain places (that much is obvious).

There are a lot of expats--many ThaiVisa posters--who refuse to see this.

For years they have gone on and on about how the Philippines and Cambodia are not safe...........and how Thailand is safe.

Maybe they will acknowledge that they have been wrong.

Crime has increased dramatically in Thailand over the past ten years.

TheWalkingMan

You are truly insane if you think burning people alive is "fun". Which was always a very real possibility when you burn down buildings!

I fully agree with you ariesram74.

Thai Culture is an overwhelming & totally pervasive thing. It permeates into every corner of Thai life.

Sadly, the 'elite' know perfectly well that the 'masses' are 'unaware' of many things & as such, choose to take advantage of their ignorance.

This country will change when people are able to 'freely think'. I believe that it should start with education. Notwithstanding this, 'movies' are also a good start. The Thai government's cencorship of movies is nothing more than ridiculous.

Hopefully, this thread will not disappear into the depths of TV due to the incredible number of people who insist upon ranting about the political situation.

I would argue that western people are equally or more ignorant of their surroundings. Look at all the debt that western people have been talked into by bankers.

TheWalkingMan

Possibly one of the stupidest posts I've witnessed here. But certainly fits with your avatar! :D