Uk - What Type Of Licence?

ongbak

Hi,

i have been told a couple of things by different people and havent found a diffinitive answer using the forum either.

my question is regarding wether a CBT test in the uk would be sufficient for insurance purposes when renting a motorbike on holiday in thailand??

as the cbt covers up to a 125cc.

my main consern is to be coverd by any insurance. so anyone who can tell me about anything i would require from the uk to have a legal licence in thailand?

On its own it is probably invalid. Apply for an International Driving Permit prior to leaving the UK. If you cannot get one on the basis of a CBT then you know it isn't valid.

For other people's benefit a CBT is Compulsory Basic Training. I don't know if it is an actual licence.

I have not been involved with bikes in the UK since I left there 11 years ago.

By the way, if you only have CBT does it mean you only have a little experience? If so I strongly recommend that you do not hire a bike here. The traffic skills of the locals here are not like UK drivers.

CBT is not a licence. Just to inform you, when you rent your motorcycle (and you wont need a licence) the insurance with it will be very very minimal and in most cases non existent. The only insurance that will cover you will be your hoiday one and this ONLY if you have a full UK bike licence and are wearing an helmet. :)

never ever been asked for a driving licence to rent a bike in Thailand, all they need is your passport, if you can rent off a farang all the better as they usually do not take passports or sometimes just a copy. insurance will be very basic if at all. your holiday insurance probably only cover upto 49 cc which they do not for rent. where are you going in Thailand maybe worth posting on that forum for a farang motor bike rental company. dont hand over your passport.

what insurance are you thinking about, as in insurance for your bike, other peoples property if you cause the accident or accident health insurance. none will be covered by the basic bke insurance.

without international licence or Thai licence you are not legally not allowed to drive a bike in Thailand, but you will get what ever you want but not insured and not legal, therfore all accidents will be down you paying for every thing. if its a fatality you could end up in prison and or paying a furtune to the family

Edited by NALAK

Don`t rent under your circumstances, you will not be covered.....

Don`t even take a motorbike taxi, as your holiday insurance will run away from you in both cases......not worth it.

Even when you live here and have insurance in your name it can get very interesting ..........sorry but true

I dont have any license in the UK for bikes.. Yet they always add that level and motorcycles on my IDP when I get one..

Hence you would be licensed.. and if they have insurance also insured.

insured for what

I dont have any license in the UK for bikes.. Yet they always add that level and motorcycles on my IDP when I get one..

insured for what

Erm.. whatever level of cover the insurance is ??

Of course if they have cover but you dont have a license it gives them room to get out of it.. But as I said an IDP would be enough to legalise it. Many renters have no insurance, or if you have an accident make you pay AND claim on the insurance, so you have to have this all worked out first.

Incorrect ! Any IDP issued in the UK will duplicate your UK licence 100 % :)

Simply not true.. Wanna make a bet of it ??

I have perhaps 8 or more uk IDP's issued over the last 15 years.. In the UK I have zero bike licensing..

The IDP in front of me says I am entitled to ride "motorcycles, with or without a side car, invalid carriages, and three wheeled motor vehicles with an unladen weight not exceeding 400kg (900lb)".. That stamp is in every single one of the IDP's I have had legally issued.

I also notice now as I look at it, that this time they have stamped HGV (class C) and passenger vehicles (class D) and these are not consistent, some of my IDP's have them some dont.

But the bikes class is on every IDP issued over a 15 year period. From the RAC, the AA and the post office.

I have perhaps 8 or more uk IDP's issued over the last 15 years.. In the UK I have zero bike licensing..

The IDP in front of me says I am entitled to ride "motorcycles, with or without a side car, invalid carriages, and three wheeled motor vehicles with an unladen weight not exceeding 400kg (900lb)".. That stamp is in every single one of the IDP's I have had legally issued.

I also notice now as I look at it, that this time they have stamped HGV (class C) and passenger vehicles (class D) and these are not consistent, some of my IDP's have them some dont.

But the bikes class is on every IDP issued over a 15 year period. From the RAC, the AA and the post office.

if your LivinLOS would it not be easier just to get a Thai licence

I have both Thai licenses, plus the Thai IDP.. US license.. and 2 Euro ones..

But this threads OP was asking about a visitor.. And whenever I am in the UK I pick up a UK IDP to carry travelling. And it ALWAYS comes with a motorcycle endorsement.

So am just waiting for Kimera to put up on the bet ??

But its not the first time Kimera's followed me round the board calling my proveable facts into question.. Last time I had to offer a bet before (s)he slinked away into obscurity.. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Daily-Motorb...ao-t208948.html

So actual money this time.. Or just more keyboard snark ??

Just a quickie - the OP can check that the bike is insured by seeing if there is a current tax sticker on the bike. You need basic insurance to get the tax sticker (at least here in CM) so if there's a sticker and it's in date, chances are that it's insured too. Alternatively, ask the rental company if the bikes have basic "government" insurance. This is the accident insurance that covers up to 15,000 baht per person on the bike. This is compulsory to make the bike legal and if the renter says "no" or gives you any doubt, walk away.

Cheers,

Pikey.

But this threads OP was asking about a visitor.. And whenever I am in the UK I pick up a UK IDP to carry travelling. And it ALWAYS comes with a motorcycle endorsement.

But its not the first time Kimera's followed me round the board calling my proveable facts into question.. Last time I had to offer a bet before (s)he slinked away into obscurity..

Probably because a UK car license covers you for riding a motorbike? up to 50cc.....

I think the OP is talking about a bigger bike...not wise

Edited by rizla

Can you explain to us all why YOU! should be entitiled to a IDP issued in the UK that gives you the right to ride your 900cc bike when you clearly state that you have NO uk motorcycle licence. So now when you are in the UK you will be riding a large bike then? on the basis of your IDP. I wish you the Best of luck :D

But its not the first time Kimera's followed me round the board calling my proveable facts into question.. Last time I had to offer a bet before (s)he slinked away into obscurity..

Probably because a UK car license covers you for riding a motorbike? up to 50cc.....

I think the OP is talking about a bigger bike...not wise

As I stated above the IDPs are quite clear.

Thats quite clear and unambiguous.. Its been on every IDP I have ever received from the UK.

Can you explain to us all why YOU! should be entitiled to a IDP issued in the UK that gives you the right to ride your 900cc bike when you clearly state that you have NO uk motorcycle licence. So now when you are in the UK you will be riding a large bike then? on the basis of your IDP. I wish you the Best of luck :D

I am not saying only me.. I am saying anyone who gets an IDP from the UK will probably have that classification.. I checked my brothers (also no UK bike license) he also has the same bikes endorsement on his IDP. It seems standard practice.

Secondly having only been in the UK for a few weeks total in the last 15 years, I dont own a large bike there (or a car, or anything) however I do carry my Thai motorcycle license and a Thai IDP that I believe makes me legal to ride there for a short visit. I would imagine getting insurance on a bike in the UK with only a Thai license and Thai IDP would be a problem, never tried it.

So you keep arguing, but you told me I dont have a bike endorsement on my IDP, I am telling you I do.. Bet ?? Put up or shut up (again) ??

Your IDP is a translation document, your UK license is the supporting valid document fro you IDP. Unless the UK has some special rule where you can ride a moped or simialr bike under a normal car license. Then normally and entry is made into the IDP to state that as far as I am aware. Be careful, as you could get yours self in deep ka ka, if have an accident and someone really does decide to scrutinize your license information. :D

Kimera, I don't want to recall how many threads there are on this subject :D

Edited by Garry

I was coming to Thailand every year just to ride motorbikes, but had no motorcycle endorsement at home... Insurance whilst riding in Thailand is really the only reason I went through the hassle of getting my bike licence in Australia... I have never bothered with an IDP, they are expensive, and my reading of MY Travel Insurance T&Cs doen't lead me to believe it is required... My reading is that you must be licenced in your home country for the riding you are doing (i.e. size of bike, and whether you are licenced to carry a pillion)...

The requirement of Thai Authorities for licencing has never come into my thoughts, for me it is a non-issue, as they don't police it, and if I have an accident, my travel insurance is valid... Last year was the first time in 8 years I have bought an IDP, and that was because I would spend 2 weeks driving a car in Phuket and Krabi, and didn't want any 'roadside hassles' with the whole family in the car...

Here in NSW, Aus, you buy the IDP from the Auto Club (NRMA) and they definately wouldn't have endorsed the motorbike section (or the HV section) without it being on your NSW DL... Not saying LLoS is wrong, just that it wouldn't happen here...

Back to the OP... You need to check your own Travel Insurance... in Thailand insurance for injury to other people usually comes with the bike rental (you can have insurance, registered or not, licenced or not)... but it only covers treatment in a public hospital up to 15,000 baht... you can buy additional insurance to cover repairs to your bike only from the hire shop... You can buy additional collision insurace online (try www.e-insurethailand.com/)... but at the end of the day, the most important thing is that you are covered for the Hundreds of Thousands or millions of baht medical costs for yourself, and that is 100% dependant upon your travel insurace T&Cs...

Australian Travel Insurance would not cover you on a Learners Permit (i.e. done basic skills, not passed a licence test), because it is a permit not a licence... it would cover you on a provision licence (the licence you have for the first 3 years after passing your test) as long as you stay within the engine capacity requirements and no-pillion rules of a provisional licence... It wouldn't even cover you on a 50cc bike even if you are legally allowed to ride it in the country you are in, if you are not bike endorsed at home...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Your IDP is a translation document, your UK license is the supporting valid document fro you IDP. Unless the UK has some special rule where you can ride a moped or simialr bike under a normal car license. Then normally and entry is made into the IDP to state that as far as I am aware. Be careful, as you could get yours self in deep ka ka, if have an accident and someone really does decide to scrutinize your license information. :D

Kimera, I don't want to recall how many threads there are on this subject :D

Thats not strictly true.. The IDL is just a translation.. The IDP is a bit more.

Many have claimed that an IDP is not needed anymore as 'its just a translation' but theres quite a few countries which only accept the IDP and not the home country license.

Doesnt change the fact that if you get an IDP in the UK it includes a motorcycle endorsement to ride bikes overseas (from the UK). Its very clear and is a valid international driving permit. This will be fine to ride here legally.

I was coming to Thailand every year just to ride motorbikes, but had no motorcycle endorsement at home... Insurance whilst riding in Thailand is really the only reason I went through the hassle of getting my bike licence in Australia... I have never bothered with an IDP, they are expensive, and my reading of MY Travel Insurance T&Cs doen't lead me to believe it is required... My reading is that you must be licenced in your home country for the riding you are doing (i.e. size of bike, and whether you are licenced to carry a pillion)...

The requirement of Thai Authorities for licencing has never come into my thoughts, for me it is a non-issue, as they don't police it, and if I have an accident, my travel insurance is valid... Last year was the first time in 8 years I have bought an IDP, and that was because I would spend 2 weeks driving a car in Phuket and Krabi, and didn't want any 'roadside hassles' with the whole family in the car...

Here in NSW, Aus, you buy the IDP from the Auto Club (NRMA) and they definately wouldn't have endorsed the motorbike section (or the HV section) without it being on your NSW DL... Not saying LLoS is wrong, just that it wouldn't happen here...

Back to the OP... You need to check your own Travel Insurance... in Thailand insurance for injury to other people usually comes with the bike rental (you can have insurance, registered or not, licenced or not)... but it only covers treatment in a public hospital up to 15,000 baht... you can buy additional insurance to cover repairs to your bike only from the hire shop... You can buy additional collision insurace online (try www.e-insurethailand.com/)... but at the end of the day, the most important thing is that you are covered for the Hundreds of Thousands or millions of baht medical costs for yourself, and that is 100% dependant upon your travel insurace T&Cs...

Australian Travel Insurance would not cover you on a Learners Permit (i.e. done basic skills, not passed a licence test), because it is a permit not a licence... it would cover you on a provision licence (the licence you have for the first 3 years after passing your test) as long as you stay within the engine capacity requirements and no-pillion rules of a provisional licence... It wouldn't even cover you on a 50cc bike even if you are legally allowed to ride it in the country you are in, if you are not bike endorsed at home...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I cant say about the Oz issuance of IDPs.. Just curious which of the 5 categories (A through E) did they endorse ??