Curfew will remain Sunday, Monday's night

webfact

Honestly, will it kill everyone if there is just 2 more nights curfew?

No, it won't kill anyone, but it is still utterly pointless...

There was still someone out last night shooting at a bank, and a school was torched.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curfew in other provinces? And still affects overnight buses/vans right? I was suppose to leave Friday night from Chiangmai to Vientiane. I guess I'll keep waiting. better safe then sorry, plus I would need all provinces from Chiangmai to Nongkhai cleared. :/

I traveled from cm to bkk last night (Sat), leaving at 22:30, arriving at 07:00. I'm pretty sure we must have passed through some provinces under the curfew - and were out in cm after 21:00 anyway - and had no problems (went through 2 police checkpoints on the way). So there's a strong chance you can travel. Contact the bus station, they'll be able to tell you.

Of course not. Will it destroy the country if people complain about something the government does? This is still a democracy, isn't it. People are allowed to express their opinions.

For anyone who is curious,

The Transport Company has resumed their nightly service to all areas of Issan, even with the curfew in effect. I guess you just need to save your bus ticket if the provincial police stop you while heading home from the station.

Not sure if there will be a problem if someone needs to pick you up from the bus station at 3am though. Will be interesting to see how serious they are about enforcing this.

From what I hear the curfew isnt really enforced that hard but it does mean authorites can if they want arrest anyone out during curfew times without a crime having been committed. In there likely lies the continuation and use

11 til 4 is totally stupid .... the new curfew is useless and is just a nuisance for normal people.

It was also a big mistake to have a 1 day curfew, then extend it 3 days, then extend it 2 more days. It gives the impression they are really struggling to get the country under control. If they had started with an extended or indefinite curfew then reduced it, it would have given the opposite impression.

No, it won't.

At night is the prefect time to set more bombs and prepare acts of horror,

and the mindset is no doubt still there to do this. Revenge is a meal best eaten cold,

but many still do it while hot headed. And don't imaging that a massive,

group loss of face and fervently held dreams, will fade away in a night or two.

There are some out there maad as a wet hornet, and waiting for opportinutiy still.

Kind Hearts and Coronets had it "Revenge is a dish which people of taste prefer to eat cold"

I doubt taste comes into it here though!

The police are a huge problem. Widely dispised by Thais they have been shown to be incompetent and disloyal.

How can Abhisit fix this root and branch?

Without a functioning police force there is no hope.

I was suprised the curfew wasonly initially called for two nights in the first place. I expected at least a week, perhaps two. There are several reasons for a curfew - not just to keep people out of the streets - it also reduces travel (especially long distance travel) - it allows for free troop movement and placement - it allows for setting up of remote cameras and othe monitoring devices - it allows the police (whether they are apt to use it or not) the easily break up and move groups of people - it allows easier moinitoring of the streets by patrol - and it raises the odds of catching vandals, looters and bombers during the night time period (it is impossible to completely stop it without lining every street with troops). Thailand needs to calm down, and just like parents do with angry kids - we send them to their rooms or make them sit on the naughty chair/stair until they are bored enough or simply so that red shroud can fall and reason and shame comes knocking. I don't like being under a curfew - who does? - but I see it as necessary and an intelligent interim measure.

For all of us Foreignors who live or holiday here, let's just be grateful that the worst may be over. Reconciliation and country healing may take a few months at least and peace in the future is not guaranteed. Live every day as if it were your last and remember we will always be Guests in this wonderful country regardless of how long we have been here or how much we think we know.

I hate to say it, but personally, I doubt the worst has even started.

I think this was probably just a trial run. At some point in the next few years there will be a sudden shift in the balance of things, and then the worst of it will really start. I hope I'm wrong.

For all of us Foreignors who live or holiday here, let's just be grateful that the worst may be over. Reconciliation and country healing may take a few months at least and peace in the future is not guaranteed. Live every day as if it were your last and remember we will always be Guests in this wonderful country regardless of how long we have been here or how much we think we know.

I think this was probably just a trial run. At some point in the next few years there will be a sudden shift in the balance of things, and then the worst of it will really start. I hope I'm wrong.

Ithink if it does happen it will have to be sooner rather than later. I am sure the people pulling the reins now in the red camp are well aware that if allowed to, the present government will continue with initiatives to help the north (there by removing a lot of the anger - as actions really are louder than words), the reshuffle in the military and police will spell doom for red placements therein (removing some of their powerbase), prosecutioins and investigations into sitting MPs and officials will put pat to more of the powerbase, money not paid to these protestors will come back to haunt future promises thereof, money will dry out. Besides Thaksin will not wait - he is not too young or (if we believe the rumpours) in the best of health, he is also a megomaniac and those sorts of people are not happy to sit back and wait.

No, I believe if it happens at all, then it happens before September - and that too is the milestone Abhisit must reach intact.

I think it's great that many people here feel they can publicly post their illegal behavior, and even seem to flaunt it. The curfew is there for a reason. If the gov't didn't do what it did when it did, then I think Thailand would have been rapidly moving into a dictatorship. Shouldn't be so hard to just do what they say, regardless of other people's behavior. I fear this attitude that everything the Thai gov't does is stupid comes from lack of respect for who the Thai people are, or ones self fabricated image of being somewhat superior even if by associated through illusion. There is a curfew, respect it. The gov't says do something, do it. become a model citizen, better than your Thai neighbors if you think necessary. Some idiot was flaunting his bad behavior and ended up on YouTube, and everyone called him a dumb ass. I don't see the difference here. :)

I freely admit that I have a complete lack of respect for Thai people after this past two months that goes for the government and the reds. But I'll be a model citizen and do everything this government sez.

Edited by snaggletooth

At 12:30 a.m. last night Chiang Mai was almost the same as normal. Bars, food carts, restaurants, market sellers all open and in the Thai areas had their lights on.

Traffic was only slightly lighter than a normal saturday night at that time.

Wonder if they'll bother enforcing it tonight.

Of course not. Will it destroy the country if people complain about something the government does? This is still a democracy, isn't it. People are allowed to express their opinions.

Thailand has never had a democratic elected government Thailand is and has been ruled by the military.

I think this curfew is for the peace of mind for the people in affected areas (the affected areas are more strictly monitored), most people are afraid that rioting will start again after the curfew or after the ending of SOE.

thats what I suspect, and thats the undeniable feeling in the air, that it may be only the beginning of cowardly attacks of retribution. I know their cause will die hard. On the thai news, one khwai daeng in C.Mai blew off his hands and eyes constructing explosive devices he was making for retaliation.

The curfew is there for your safety. If you ignore it, it's your fault. Imagine turning a dark street corner and already tense police or soldiers spot you and make a mistake. Just being realistic. The people on here complaining now would be complaining a lot more if they wound up in a hospital bed. Get over it, and be safe and careful.

A curfew from 11:00pm to 5:00am has been declared in the following provinces:

· Ayuthaya

· Bangkok metropolitan area

· Chaiyaphum

· Chiang Mai

· Chiang Rai

· Chonburi

· Kalasin

· Khon Kaen

· Lampang

· Mahasarakham

· Mukdaharn

· Nakhon Pathom

· Nakhon Ratchasima

· Nakhon Sawan

· Nan

· Nong Bua Lamphu

· Nonthaburi

· Pathum Thani

· Roi Et

· Sakon Nakhon

· Samut Prakarn

· Sisaket

· Ubon Ratchathani

· Udon Thani

I am happy with whatever the Government decides. If the Curfew helps to get Thailand back on its feet, so be it.

I'm happy with the Government too. What a wonderful Government. We should all bow down to the government and thank it for all it does for Thailand. It knows better than us. It can put us to bed at night. It can wake us up in the morning and it can tell us who we should vote for. Oh what a glorious Government. I am besides myself with joy and appreciation. It's a great Government that protects us from those nasty Red Shirts and keeps us safe and sound, so be it.

One thing few are currently looking at is when the curfews are over and the military return to barracks who will provide security considering the police have shown they will not provide protection to citizens against crime from the reds? Dont think the authorites arent thinking about this and dont think the reds arent either.

Excellent point Hammered,.. and right on the money IMO.

It's a disturbing point and I see it is the Achilles heel of the current government and its sincere attempt to restore order and control.

I just wonder how much influence ex pol general Thaksin still has over the brown quarter?

In virtually every other civilized country in the western world you can rely on the police to uphold law and order and respond to civil unrest, but here in Thailand that isn't so and it is the one major factor that makes me very nervous and anxious about living here.

Yes a very good point, there is a reduced ability to maintain order here at the best of times.

In ther worst of times this proves totally inadequate. What is to be done?

Certainly Thaksin is tooth and jowel with elements of the police heirchy that he spent decades cultivating.

It is a very good point but only every once in a while we do hear the government mention police reform (if reform would be possible)

Most people realize the police dont police and are reported to be the largest criminal gang in thailand and in my opinion reform would not work,

Then we have a military with 90 or more generals! who seem to be split,

Still the government try to push the plan for 3? nuclear power plants without confronting the security problems here,

Imagine what could have been in the last week if these power plants were already and online...it makes me shiver!

Edited by tingtongfarang

Thailand has never had a democratic elected government Thailand is and has been ruled by the military.

BS not worth more

Ok, but what about the other provinces? Is the curfew still in effect there, or just Bangkok?

Curfew lifted in Pattaya. There is too much money to be lost there.

They are going to need all the money they can get to rebuild what the redshirts have destroyed.

A great use for Lily Allen's song. You just have to put up with the beginning bit, then it gets better. They should play this on every big-screen TV in Bangkok, after the curfew has been lifted.

Fantastic! I'm going to put in Facebook right now.

God how I despise Thaksin and all his sheeple terrorists. The only way to stop continuous war is to let Isaan form its own country. That is the only way to keep them from coming back to Bangkok. And, they will be back with more firepower in the near future. They were allowed to engage in terrorist acts at night and sing & dance all day. Reading the many stories about these "terrorists" in the Bkk Post yesterday & today not a one of them that the government sent back north on the bus has any apologies. In fact, almost everyone of them said they would be back. Let's cut Isaan loose. Without government subsidies on their crops, they will have to export it to Bangkok at even lower prices. Laos & Cambodia are rice growers so they can't sell it there. The Red Shirt TV stations & radio stations are still spewing forth hate all over the north & northeast in the form of propaganda & it will only get stronger now. Uneducated sheeple are just putty in the hands of a sociopath like Thaksin.

Something I have not seen often, if it all, tucked away in my small part of the world. I heard them coming before I could see them. A truck full of pink shirted Thais, smiling and waiing, a man on a microphone speaking in a polite, non inflammatory tone, a couple of the ladies wearing Muslim Headscarves, the truck adorned with signs and pacards with photos of, and info about, the Democratic Party.

I grabbed my camera. They even stopped the truck for me to get a decent shot of them. Asked me how I was, Wai'd again and wished me well before proceeding on their way

I gather there is an election coming? Getting a head start?

(Sorry I am to lazy and process the pics and post them, as if anyone wanted to see them anyway).

Actually this curfew is good, should be more of them. I was running out of clean crockery and cutlery and the sink was overflowing with dirty plates, I was about to break out the emergency paper plates and plastic fighting gear, or just eat Mama straight from the cup, but now, no problem, since I have to stay in anyway I may as well wash 'em. After that I might settle in a watch a DVD Movie, 'Towering Inferno' :)

You think that just because the government announces something or decides on a course of action that we should all just think it's great, shut our mouths and go along with it?

No offense TB2, but unless you have citizenship here, then yes. You have no legal influence on how this country is run as a foreigner. No voting, no running, no voice. If you are truly so unhappy with how things are maybe moving to a country that more closely fits your moral and legal outlook would be best, or your home country where you have the ability to influence these things.

As foreigners here we have the responsibility to obey the laws of the country no matter who is in charge or what those laws are.

No offense either, but does Thailand want to be part of the international team?

Everyone should obey the law, and of course Farang should not get to vote, but to say people living and working in this country should have no influence once so ever just because they are not Thai is futile.

That is one of the benefits to all countries fortunate enough to have members of the international community contribute. Imagine if Thailand have never been influenced at all by the outside world? Or if the west had never been influenced by the east. All voices should be encouraged.

To think a foreigner knows nothing is as lame as thinking a foreigner knows everything. We all have a lot to learn from each other.

The curfew effects day to day life for Thai and foreigners. This foreigner have no say attitude does not serve Thailand well.

Agreed,.. and personally I'm sick and tired of the perpetual arrogant and xenophobic attitude that is displayed to "foreigners" in this country. It's disgusting..and ironically is in stark contrast to fundamental Buddhist principle as well (more double standards and superficiality over substance once again).

Whilst Australia has had its share of difficult cultural metamorphoses during the past 50 years,.. just look at how that country has embraced the culture, language and contributions of a multitude of countries from Europe and SE Asia. In fact, it's unlawful to discriminate against anyone in that country based on race, religion or culture. Not only is it unlawful to call any non-Anglophile new Australian a "<deleted>", 'wop" "chink" "ding" or "dago" anymore,.... its kind of pointless because they've all assimilated into the fabric of the emerging social structure of the country. Frankly I resent being referred to as "falang" as it has negative and racist connotations just as equally as some of the pre-1980's Aussie slang for its foreigners.

Whilst many Australians can take a pat on the back for that process having become a reality (even though some minority still resist) there is ONE thing that has paved the way for its existence and that is legislation.

That's something that the Thai government and its people could also do if they were sincere about being responsible members of an international community.

I have lived here for 5 years now,.. have a Thai wife and 3 Thai born kids, my imported funds purchased a car and essential household property items that contributed to the Thai economy and a large portion of those imported funds I "gifted" to my wife so she could buy "our" home which I don't resent for a second,.. but I do resent the lack of respect at being constantly relegated to "non-immigrant" "non-resident" "foreigner" status. I have learned to respect customs, adapt to the language and even make community contributions where I can. What more do they want,... blood? (if yes,... I can donate that too,... but fat lot of difference it would make).

If I take my wife to Australia she can get a 2 year visitors visa,.. no border runs,..no 90-day police or immigration office reporting (that's a practice reserved purely for criminals and fugitives in civilized countries),..and after 2 years we can get her a permanent residency visa,... and rightly so as she's the spouse of an Australian national citizen. After such time she would then be considered an Aussie and enjoy the privilege of such status under the protection of government statute, after which if anyone referred to her in a derogatory or racist term or she was refused any right ordinarily afforded to an Australian resident then the offending party or government officer would find themselves in court and under scrutiny.

You may say we have no right to vote or have say or influence in your country but we do have rights and we do have choices,.. and given the recent appointment of Thailand to the league of Human Rights nations and its being party to the Treaty on Human Rights I would hope that its only a matter of time (the shorter the better) when Thailand is embarrassed to the point that it will have to change its philosophy and policy on "falangs" that genuinely wish to assimilate into this country as equally as any other resident.

The longer I stay here, the more the xenophobic, arrogant and hostile treatment I experience just makes me want to vomit. "Land of Smiles" may have once been a relevant concept but now it's nothing more than a redundant dept. of tourism slogan that has become outdated and inapplicable. Mores the pity because it is a wonderful country in so many ways and there are some lovely people here for sure. Just wish the government would get it together and join the age of the new millennium international community instead of wallowing in the vacuum of a myopic colonial past!

Edited by EarthAlien