Foreigner Suffers Fractured Skull In Severe Pattaya Bike Accident

Rimmer

Foreigner Suffers Fractured Skull in Severe Pattaya Bike Accident

PATTAYA:-- A Columbian national and his Thai girlfriend are currently in intensive care after being involved in a high-speed motorbike accident on South Pattaya’s Bali Hai overpass. The accident occurred during the early hours of Sunday morning.

Pattaya, the 23rd of May 2010 [PDN]: At approximately 4:30am on Sunday, police Lieutenant Colonel Klitsakorn Thongin (Pattaya Police Deputy Superintendant) was notified of a serious motorbike accident involving a foreigner whilst he was on patrol in the Pratamnak Hill area. Responding to the call, Lt. Col. Thongin and a team of officers immediately went to the scene to investigate further and the Sawang Boriboon Foundation were called to assist in transporting the injured to hospital.

Full story and pictures

HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2010-05-23

the article says broken neck also.....

That would mean being paralisis .......dreadful

If treated properly, a broken neck and or a broken back does not necessarily mean paralysis, but would if your spinal cord is broken too. If he has a fractured skull that could possibly mean brain damage.

Possibly another totally avoidable single vehicle accident, where the rider either through inexperience, speed in the wrong place, a bike too powerful for the rider or too much alcohol, fails to negotiate a bend and loses control of his/her motorcycle.

I wish them both a speedy recovery.

I've been round that bend on my 1100 honda many times and it deserves a lot of attention because of the road surface, although very grippy it has a series of bumps due to the concrete surface that could easily cause an issue if taken too fast or the bike wasn't in prime condition with tyres and suspension, hope they both have a full recovery.

UPDATE

Colombian Tourist seriously injured in high speed motorbike crash in South Pattaya

PATTAYA:-- The dangers of driving high powered motorbikes in Pattaya are obvious, however foreign tourists, many of which have no previous experience of driving such bikes, hire them often with no insurance to cover damage to the bike or accidents. In the early hours of Sunday Morning, Police and Rescue Services were called to the overpass leading to the Bali Hai Port at the south-end of Pattaya Third Road to deal with a horrific accident which was lucky not to have claimed any lives. The single vehicle crash involved an Orange Kawasaki 650cc motorbike driven by Mr. John Alexander Delgado aged 22 from Colombia who was driving the bike with his Thai Girlfriend Khun Atitaya aged 33, riding as passenger.

Full update

HERE

gallery_327_1086_7880.png

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2010-05-24

Whilst the Barry Sheene's of Pattaya may mock all that is needed if one really wants to use a motorcycle on the roads is a basic small engine scooter. There is absolutely no need to have 650cc+ motorbikes racing around Pattaya like it's Brands Hatch. An even better idea for Pattaya's holiday makers would be to use the baht bus only or rent a car, give your parents back home a little thought when you decide to pull away from beach road on the back wheel with your new lady friend hanging off the back.

Edited by BobbyMoore

I've been round that bend on my 1100 honda many times and it deserves a lot of attention because of the road surface, although very grippy it has a series of bumps due to the concrete surface that could easily cause an issue if taken too fast or the bike wasn't in prime condition with tyres and suspension, hope they both have a full recovery.

True, if you are too fast your bike starts to bump off lane. One can even notice that on small bikes, running 60 -70 km/h.

Whilst the Barry Sheene's of Pattaya may mock all that is needed if one really wants to use a motorcycle on the roads is a basic small engine scooter. There is absolutely no need to have 650cc+ motorbikes racing around Pattaya like it's Brands Hatch. An even better idea for Pattaya's holiday makers would be to use the baht bus only or rent a car, give your parents back home a little thought when you decide to pull away from beach road on the back wheel with your new lady friend hanging off the back.

I think it should be a free decision of anyone whether or not to rent or drive a big bike.

However, if somebody rents such a bike he should have to present a proper license, which often is not the case.

One can ride a big bike in a very responsible way and having fun. Personally I did not see that many accidents with big bikes - luckily.