Atm Withdrawal Restrictions?

The last 2 days i tried to withdraw the usual 20.000 THB from one of the ATMs without success. At the end of the process after the confirmation of the 150 THB surcharge i get an error message saying " not enough money".

I never had this before can you confirm this ?

lots of times and regularly especially when there are holidays it means the machine is out of 1000 baht notes usually the most you can withdraw is 20 notes at a time so if the machine is out of 1000's then try 500's but the maximum would be 10,000 baht a time.

If i was using an international ATM card here I would strongly advise using Bangkok Bank machines as some can dispense a higher amount of cash some 25,000 some 30,000 some 40,000 depending on the location. Try 40,000 first to see what the limit is. Other banks are all limited to 20,000 maximum as far as I know.

Another piece of advice is always give the place you insert your card a light tug, make sure there is not an illegal card reading device put over the card slot or you might become the next victim of ATM card fraud.

But it sounds like the ATM still graciously charged a 150 baht fee per each transaction which ultimately resulted in no money out of the magic slot. What a deal!

I think the machine asks

1 how much money you want.

2 States the conditions i.e 150 baht charge.

3 If agreed deletes 20150 baht from the account

If the machine doesn't have enough money asks you to reenter a lower amount i.e 10,000 if you cancel the transaction no fees are charged.

Havn't you guys read that none of the banks are filling their machines now due to having to many of them vandalized. This is especially for the Bangkok Bank as it is targeted as the bank that holds all of Mr 'T's" money.

Also the Armored vehicles still do not want to go to any ATM's or actually anywhere in Bkk yet as they are saying they don't want to be driving that much money around the city. Can you blame them.

On Monday if you need a stockpile just go into the bank directly and withdraw enough to get you through was is comming next and what is comming next is the underground war so that will be a real bad hit on the ATM's. Then take your doe home and put it in the "Sock Bank".

Thanks guys for all the replies,

to answer a few questions :

- yes i went to several ATM machines of different banks , located in the Nonthaburi area ( BigC , 7/11 ) in the weekend

- the menu does not ask to reenter a lower amount, it shows "transaction amount over available balance", i used 2 cards both from my bank in Holland

just now i checked available balance and there is enough money left for the withdrawal.

- yesterday i went to Rayong and at the ATM of the TMB-bank the same happened, again to both cards

I am going to contact my bank to see if my cards are blocked in some way.

Kind regards,

Leo.

an update

- i checked the cards with my bank, both cards are OK

- 20.000 THB withdrawal still not possible, but 10.000 THB is OK

that means its doubles the cost of banking, both here ( 150 THB per withdrawal) and at my bank

Just yesterday took 40k baht from the Aeon ATM machine in Laem Thong Mall in Rayong. No withdrawal fee. No problems. Good exchange rate, and very small standard $3.00 from my home bank.

Experienced the same as OP: suddenly couldn't get my usual 20,000 baht at K-bank or any other bank that still allows 20,000+ withdrawals. In the end figured that with the current exchange rate 20,000 baht is just over €500, which is the max my bank allows me to withdraw in one time. Next tried to get 19,000, and got it :)

Experienced the same as OP: suddenly couldn't get my usual 20,000 baht at K-bank or any other bank that still allows 20,000+ withdrawals. In the end figured that with the current exchange rate 20,000 baht is just over €500, which is the max my bank allows me to withdraw in one time. Next tried to get 19,000, and got it cool.gif

Thanks, i tried that today and indeed i got 19.000 THB, thank you very much !!!! jap.gif