Retirement In Thailand?

philliphn

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand will NEVER go back to what it once was.

Of course it won't. Things change, the only thing that doesn't change, is that things change.

The problem is, the big inevitable change hasn't happened yet.

What I find interesting is there is a definite change here on TV.

Two years ago anyone making any comment that did not paint Thailand in the rosiest of light was almost without fail met with a barrage of 'If you don't like it go home'.

That passed to people accepting the argument that we all of us have our own opinions.

Now we have significant numbers of people hanging a question over life in Thailand/remaining in Thailand/coming to live/retire in Thailand.

Yes, things do change.

Thailand will NEVER go back to what it once was.

Of course it won't. Things change, the only thing that doesn't change, is that things change.

The problem is, the big inevitable change hasn't happened yet.

That's a good point, anyone planning to live in Thailand should be considering that.

My thoughts. I live in Thailand, l am English and have traveled all over the USA and thought it great, in fact if money was no object l would live in your country. BUT, it depends what YOU want from life, what are you looking for, why with all those states of America, totally different climates and way of life do you want to go else where. ?

Maybe because the US is flat broke. 33 US states are as broke as Greece.

Then with that wisdom I would guess China would be your choice!

Now we have significant numbers of people hanging a question over life in Thailand/remaining in Thailand/coming to live/retire in Thailand.

i sincerely hope the number of people who ask that question increases exponentially in future.

reason: the higher that number, the higher the chances that those leave Thailand / not move to Thailand which are not desired in the country anyway.

result: the minority of foreigners who live in Thailand and appreciate their lives in Thailand will be judged on their own individual merits.

:)

I have visited Thailand 4 times for about four months time total. I have a good friend who has lived in Thailand for 6 years. I know that Thailand is not and will never be a perfect paradise. I find Thailand interesting and entertaining.

I think you are going to be just a statistic in crashing and burning farang style in Thailand.

Quite a harsh comment don't you think? Why the negativity towards this poster?

I would love to know why you would make this comment. I can see nothing in his/her post that would provoke such an opinion. Please enlighten this poor uninformed soul(me) if you have the time of course :)

Are you speaking from personal experience of crashing and burning farang style?

This is a question that no one can advise you on.

It depends on your financial and health situation.

The present political climate here is Thailand is in chaos and most of us are living on a hope and a prayer that Thailand will regain some sort of normality again. The immediate and long term future is unpredictable.

The bank exchange and interest rates are the worst hit for years and for those here living on pensions or incomes from abroad, cash incomes have decreased by about 33% over the last couple of years.

If you have major health problems and require long-term medication and health care, this can be extremely costly in Thailand.

Food, vehicles, social, medical, cable TV, phone and Internet etc can be more expensive than in the West if you want to live Farang style.

So there are the facts and if you can afford it, keeping in mind that you will probably not be able to find work or other means to gain addition income, than welcome to Thailand. Otherwise you move here at your own discretion.

Another major factor to consider is that once you have packed up completely in your own country and moved to Thailand, it would be extremely difficult to reverse the process and return home again. Over here if all goes pear shaped, you’re on your own, no ones going to be able to assist you and if you’re here on a retirement visa requiring 800000 baht in the bank or a pension income of 65000 baht or a mixture of both and you can’t sustain this, than it`s 7 days notice to leave the Kingdom.

To the OP: It is a decision you have to make, but will add my personal experience. I began dreaming of perhaps retiring here way back in 1990. Two years ago I did retire, stayed in America for about a year and a half and then decided...why not...I can do it. And my first 10 months here were wonderful.

Then the protests began. At first it was merely an inconvenince. Then it got to the point where -- as a not-so-young guy...let's see if go to a place and they suddenly shut down the mass transit, will I be okay getting home. Then one day I drove out to Chang Wattana to do my 90 day report...and just 24 hours later the 4 gun battle occurred right about where I got off the expressway. Then last week, as the crackdown began...smoke loomed down our soi midday because we are not far off Rama IV. For several nights it concerned me that this old guy with a heart condition wouldn't be able to get to the hospital in a nighttime emergency. I used to feel safe getting in my car and driving out into the provinces. I don't feel safe doing that now. It just seems as if my world has shrunk and shrunk and shrunk over the past month.

As the current poster points out...And so I have spent the past week trying to put things back together in the States. Getting my stuff shipped back...to a new city...to a non-existent address. Realizing one of my major credit cards is expiring right at the worst time. I will have to buy a new house or TH, and luckily I can afford to do so. Have to buy a new car. Have to start all over. The only blessing in the reestablishment is that my old state maintains you as a tax-paying citizen (which at the time I learned it I thought it was a curse) and your drivers license remains valid. One by one I am working through all these challenges...and I'll take that view that whatever doesn't destroy you makes you stronger. But I'm very glad I have to go back at the age of 65, rather than when I would get much older. What if I were 68 or 70 or more...maybe I couldn't.

To answer the OP, it's one of those times that wouldn't it be nice to have a crystal ball? There are many posters who think Thailand will now return to the land of milk and honey...the land of smiles...that we all know and love(d). Personally, I don't agree. Things often go in cycles, and I think Thailand is entering a negative one. You have to decide that for yourself. You might want to read nytimes.com/2010/05/21/world/asia/21bangkok.html . Admittedly, it's the negative view I have, but I think it is well thought-out, rather than simply a panic piece.

For my first 10 months here I soon learned many of the not-so-wonderful aspects of living here...but on the balance I could almost always say, but here are the things to balance that out. For this past month...the balance is gone. The other day as I was analyzing what to do, I actually thought of Maslow's hierarchy and realized that many of the basics at the bottom of his pyramid have vanished for me...especially being safe. And so I am choosing to leave.

What I advise you to do is carefully analyze why you want to come here. Are the current risks worth it to you? Or is it better to at least wait a year and see what happens...and also take that year to determine how you will start over back in your own country, if you have to. I was very careful when moving here not to burn any bridges...in the sense of things like:

1. Maintaining my American bank accounts (and by the way, HSBC has been a godsend)

2. Maintaining my American credit cards

3. Maintaining a legitimate American mailing address

Now my personal advice is -- live at "home", visit Thailand. A year ago, 6 months ago, 10 months ago...I wouldn't have said that.

I do you wish you good luck and a wise decision. Please do think carefully.

Been here over 24 years............no way I would retire here if I could do it again.

I would not invest in anything..........including a Thai wife.

Thailand has been in decline for the past ten years.

That trend does not appear to be reversing itself.

For good info. on alternatives, see this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Alternative-...ns-t347262.html

1. I like the women and their availability. You can have the use of female energy when and if you want it. I don't like the cold. I have visited Thailand 4 times for about four months time total. I have a good friend who has lived in Thailand for 6 years. I know that Thailand is not and will never be a perfect paradise. I find Thailand interesting and entertaining.

In the U.S.A you will have a very lonely life if single and past a certain age.

3. I plan to live in Pattaya. I love pattaya even with it's warts.

4. No one wants to live in a war zone. If things deteriorate more especially economically my white skin might make an obvious target. I am almost 55 years old. Not the martial artist that I once thought I was.

Of course wherever I am. I can always move.

Rent your existing house out, get yourself a multiple entry 1 year non immigrant o visa, come and try it.

I'm up north in Chiang Mai, loads of ladies, much cheaper, many English bookshops, cinemas in English.

You can get a nice condo for 6000bht a month, any aggro happens, go home.

I was in almost exactly the same position as you last year, had the same idea ....... didn't work, I now have a Thai wife (age 34) and step-daughter, but lots of fun.

Costs, I've been spending about 35-50kbht a month, not exactly cutting corners nice 3 bedroom house but no car.

(I was spending the same on my own in a condo as I am now with my wife and family, just on different things)

Edited by sarahsbloke

i sincerely hope the number of people who ask that question increases exponentially in future.

reason: the higher that number, the higher the chances that those leave Thailand / not move to Thailand which are not desired in the country anyway.

result: the minority of foreigners who live in Thailand and appreciate their lives in Thailand will be judged on their own individual merits.

I got the impression, from your frequent posts on the subject, that you were relying on the size of your wallet (no taxes deducted) rather than any individual merits you might have.

I amnot sure I would chose here now. Today I looked at Philippine visa site. To go there is cheaper only need $10,000 american deposit and $800 a month american, and the $10,000 you can invest it in property in the future. I have had 800,000 baht sitting in my account since I came here with no interest paid on it., That is arround $25,000 american of dead money just sitting there doing nothing but giving me a visa. I recommend look at Philippines. Way better investment wise.

But a sh1thole to live in.

And there's the same restrictions on buying property there as here.

To answer the OP, yes, I still plan to retire here.

OP, The success you have in Thailand will all come down to who you surround yourself with. Like a teenage child growing up, if he hangs with the bad crowd, bad things will happen to him. Thailand is no different for its expats, if you lay with dogs you will most likely end up with fleas.

OP, The success you have in Thailand will all come down to who you surround yourself with. Like a teenage child growing up, if he hangs with the bad crowd, bad things will happen to him. Thailand is no different for its expats, if you lay with dogs you will most likely end up with fleas.

Considering the OP's #1 stated reason for moving here was the "Girls", I think it safe to say he won't find himself being surrounded by the "best and brightest" :)

really interesting how many don't come to thailand posts there r here from quite experienced / knowledgeable people .

i guess the bloom is really off the thai rose , ain't it ?

That's a good way of putting it. And not sure if I am quite experienced, but another measure -- although it's not about retirees (other than myself), the apartment complex where I live on Soi 4 has had a virtual 100% occupancy rate -- mostly Japanese business people. We have only 29 units. Counting me within a few days -- 5 units have emptied in less than a month...2 in just the last week.

When I talked with the international movers that came on Saturday, they said they are flooded with move back to (wherever)...can't handle the number of requests.

I hope for Thailand's sake, and for Thai loved ones I am leaving behind, that Thailand returns to a peaceful time. But yes, the bloom is off the rose for many of us.

Considering the OP's #1 stated reason for moving here was the "Girls", I think it safe to say he won't find himself being surrounded by the "best and brightest"

i should think that fleas will be the least of his worries, if he lays down with anything in the pattaya region! :)

Edited by tigerfish

This is a question that no one can advise you on.

Another major factor to consider is that once you have packed up completely in your own country and moved to Thailand, it would be extremely difficult to reverse the process and return home again.

No it wouldn't unless you have been a complete idiot and sold up everything in your own country :) .

:D

I got the impression, from your frequent posts on the subject, that you were relying on the size of your wallet (no taxes deducted) rather than any individual merits you might have.

that is correct and exactly these are the merits (bringing -if possible lots of- money into the country, spending it on goods and services, provide employment and help to increase forex reserves) i am referring to and what Thailand desires/needs. i am not a moron who thinks that Thailand would appreciate or consider my philosophical thoughts on numerous worldly or celestial topics as "merits".

I think you are going to be just a statistic in crashing and burning farang style in Thailand.

How about elaborating.

You don't know me. It just sounds like you think that you are superior.

I think you are just arogant!

Welcome to Thailand! Don't take it personally, it says more about them than it does you. Most farangs here have a superior attitude and think they are better than anyone else because they have been looked up to by locals for so long that they forget the losers they really were before they exiled themselves here.

You started this thread so I don't think it's too personal or invasive to ask these questions but I'm interested in;

1. Why of all the places in the world are you attracted to retring in Thailand?

2. Where else have you looked at and considered?

3. Where are you planning to live?

4. Why has the recent troubles affected your plans?

1. I like the women and their availability. You can have the use of female energy when and if you want it. I don't like the cold. I have visited Thailand 4 times for about four months time total. I have a good friend who has lived in Thailand for 6 years. I know that Thailand is not and will never be a perfect paradise. I find Thailand interesting and entertaining.

In the U.S.A you will have a very lonely life if single and past a certain age.

2. Mexico. This is a poor option compared to what I have known in Thailand.

I am considering Costa Rica and the Phillipines as possible alternatives.

3. I plan to live in Pattaya. I love pattaya even with it's warts.

4. No one wants to live in a war zone. If things deteriorate more especially economically my white skin might make an obvious target. I am almost 55 years old. Not the martial artist that I once thought I was.

Of course wherever I am. I can always move.

1. I don't mean for this to be insulting, but coming here because you can get women here is the reason that guy said you could crash and burn. Unless you have friends who can introduce you to regular girls then you are obviously only going to be hanging out with bargirls and hookers, and as fun as that may sound, as a guy of retirement age coming here to get laid, you are pretty much certain to get rolled until your cash dries up and then you're on your own. Finding a good girl who likes you for you is going to be very difficult. I know this is the same anywhere including the US but in Thailand they have made an artform out of it and you won't stand a chance.

2. If you have been considering South America as an alternative then it really sounds like the Philippines could be well up your alley! It is the South America of Asia, both the good parts (amazing locals, the best arts and music of Asia, beautiful hispanic looking women with big boobs!!) and bad parts (guns everywhere in the cities, shit food, poverty)

3. Say no more. I believe you can get a freezing spray to remove them these days though if that helps you.

4. It looked bad on the news and we had planned to stay in Bangkok for Songkran but avoided it for all of the trouble, however the 24 hours we passed though there before going to the airport there was no trouble and 99% of Bangkok was not a warzone. I was also in Bangkok last year for the protests and didn't see even one red shrt the whole time. This is not to say that things won't flare up again on a larger scale but you must realise that what you see on the news is the worst areas and limited to a small part of the city, unless you go looking for trouble it probably won't find you. You should probably be more concerned about which party ends up in charge making the rules as this would affect you more than any protestor, laws can competely change in a day here, look at the Vsa rules.

Also, I've never been there but Vietnam is supposed to be great, lots farangs are moving from Thailand to there these days as Thailand has lost more and more of it's shine over the years. Vietnam is supposed to be fun like Thailand was decades ago, just judging by what I've read on here.

really interesting how many don't come to thailand posts there r here from quite experienced / knowledgeable people .

i guess the bloom is really off the thai rose , ain't it ?

That's a good way of putting it. And not sure if I am quite experienced, but another measure -- although it's not about retirees (other than myself), the apartment complex where I live on Soi 4 has had a virtual 100% occupancy rate -- mostly Japanese business people. We have only 29 units. Counting me within a few days -- 5 units have emptied in less than a month...2 in just the last week.

When I talked with the international movers that came on Saturday, they said they are flooded with move back to (wherever)...can't handle the number of requests.

I hope for Thailand's sake, and for Thai loved ones I am leaving behind, that Thailand returns to a peaceful time. But yes, the bloom is off the rose for many of us.

That is more likely due to companies pulling out their personnel due to liability risks rather than an individual persons decision to leave, same happened in Indonesia in the 90s.

My company has no plans to remove people because of the troubles but do have an emergency evacuation plan, just in case.

If you want to live farang style in Thailand = more expensive than home.

If you live Thai style = cheaper than home

Just don't live it like " te dream " and you'll be fine.

Depends on where you come from in the world but certainly not England, if you compare like for like Thailand is a lot cheaper for me living farang style, i currently rent a 3 bed house in Thailand for 300 GBP, the same house in my old part of England would be 1,100 GBP plus 200 GBP community tax before you start on anything else.

Welcome to Thailand! Don't take it personally, it says more about them than it does you. Most farangs here have a superior attitude and think they are better than anyone else because they have been looked up to by locals for so long that they forget the losers they really were before they exiled themselves here.

you took the words from my mouth. on top of that the favourite pastime of many losers is to whine, whinge and criticise each and everything in thai culture, tradition, behaviour or anything which does not conform with their (often) extremely narrow minded views.

you took the words from my mouth. on top of that the favourite pastime of many losers is to whine, whinge and criticise each and everything in thai culture, tradition, behaviour or anything which does not conform with their (often) extremely narrow minded views.

A perfect definition of narrow minded would be the contents of these two posts.

You are both mixing in the wrong company or need to get out more. :D

A perfect definition of narrow minded would be the contents of these two posts. You are both mixing in the wrong company or need to get out more. :D

to meet narrow minded people? no thank you! :D

Actually I think a pretty good example of narrow mindedness is someone who thinks Koh Samui is "The Final Frontier" when it's actually the easiest place to get to in Thailand and is so saturated with tourists, expats and development that it hardly even resembles Thailand anymore and might as well be an 18-30s resort.

If you understood the trail that preceeded my comment you would have understood what I was talking about and it wasn't a sweeping remark on all expats here but just the ones who jibe others because they think they are superior to anyone else here.

This is a very timely post as I was set to retire and relocate to Isaan in July. But as a result of what has happened over the last 2 months I've decided to delay my retirement until November... Hopefully by then some of the questions about the short and long term affects of what has happened will be answered. Before deciding on Thailand I made several trips to the Philippines and I do believe it could be an option if Thailand does not work out. I also think it is very important to make sure you do not burn all your bridges in your home country just in case life in your new country turns to s**t..... I am in a position financially to re-establish my self back "home" if I ever needed to.

This is a very timely post as I was set to retire and relocate to Isaan in July. But as a result of what has happened over the last 2 months I've decided to delay my retirement until November... Hopefully by then some of the questions about the short and long term affects of what has happened will be answered. Before deciding on Thailand I made several trips to the Philippines and I do believe it could be an option if Thailand does not work out. I also think it is very important to make sure you do not burn all your bridges in your home country just in case life in your new country turns to s**t..... I am in a position financially to re-establish my self back "home" if I ever needed to.

I think you're making a wise decision. Especially important to, as you say, be able to re-establish yourself back home if you ever need to.

I think that a lot of people should have or should in the future reexamine why they want to live in Thailand (now speaking more generally and not specifically to this poster). Even in this thread I am surprised to see the "women are easy here" reason. If that's the reason for moving here, then I think some self-reflection and change is needed. There's a difference between having a "loved one" here and having women easily here.

To change one's whole life just to get easy women...not sure that's a recipe for long-term fulfillment.

Actually I think a pretty good example of narrow mindedness is someone who thinks Koh Samui is "The Final Frontier" when it's actually the easiest place to get to in Thailand and is so saturated with tourists, expats and development that it hardly even resembles Thailand anymore and might as well be an 18-30s resort.

If you understood the trail that preceeded my comment you would have understood what I was talking about and it wasn't a sweeping remark on all expats here but just the ones who jibe others because they think they are superior to anyone else here.

Do you live in Thailand or UK?