Increased Security In Issan?

sezzo

I noticed in the past week or so that there has been an increased presence of security in and around Ubon Ratchathani. I have been informed that to get to the terminal drop off area at the airport at Ubon is no longer possible. You have to park in the car park and walk there. Also there is only one entrance open now and that is controlled by armed guards and has in place walk through metal detectors and xray machines for luggage. This is a vast change from 3 months ago when I last used this airport.

In my village which is close to the Mekong there is now a twice daily checking of cars, buses, etc by the police and the army. Up until a week ago there was only the sporadic checking of buses by the police looking for illegal lao immigrants, but now every car is being checked by the police.

Has anyone else noticed any change in the attitude to security in their area?

sezzo,we have had a lot more road blocks in Nong Khai Province for a while now.Used to be only on the main road to Udon but now have them locally along the Mekong.

I understand that heavy drug suppression on the Burmese border means lots of drugs are being brought in by Laos and Cambodians and there have been some big shipments intercepted in Nong Khai.Also some dealers in Bangkok have named their big supplier as being from Nong Khai.

Edited by aletta

I just picked up a friend who flew into Khon Kaen yesterday, and noticed for the first time that there were "Security Desks" at both entrances to the terminal... Two Thai Police seated at the desks, but not really checking anything, just watching as people walked by them...

Pianoman